“What fun!” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Columbia, MD
“What fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary for 2 nights at the Greenbrier this year. We brought our 6-month old daughter along.

We were fortunate enough to stay in a Spring Hill Guest Cottage. It really felt like an old-fashioned summer cabin from the past, but spotless, luxuriously decorated and with every modern convenience. The setup was perfect with our baby. She slept in the crib in the living room, which was very private and quiet.

We never had a dull moment while we were there. The only extra amenities that we paid for were the Bunker tour (very unique - I highly recommend it) and dining. Everything else we did was included - mountain biking, hiking, swimming at both glorious pools (indoor and out), and plenty of time spent exploring the grounds and hotel.

The dining room was neat. The breakfast was so incredibly abundant, I can't imagine anyone wanting anything else. The orange juice was fresh-squeezed and plentiful and the coffee was strong and smooth. I personally think it's nice that jacket and tie are required in the main dining room at dinner. The food is not cutting-edge or mind-blowing, and the servers aren't always as polished as you'd expect, but go in with an appreciation for the history and character of the place and you won't be disappointed.

Our room was brightly decorated and everything was in excellent working order and of a high-quality. I can appreciate the Dorothy Draper decor for what it is - an important iconic part of American design. Would I want my entire house "Draperized"? Probably not, but I sure did enjoy spending 2 nights in it.

Not the best place for budget-travelers, or anyone who sweats when they open their pocketbook. But I think you get a lot of value for the money when you factor in the unbelievable amount of overhead the resort must take to maintain. All in all, a wonderful American treasure - certainly a must for anyone who appreciates grand old architecture and design.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

1,409 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Huntington, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

I must preface my comments by stating that the Greenbrier is a national treasure. It is steeped in history and a visit, even for a day, should be on every person’s bucket list.

My family has made the Greenbrier part of our lives for many years. Our most recent visit continued to confirm my long-held position that the property truly is America’s Resort. Simply put, you get what you pay for. No visit to White Sulphur Springs will leave your wallet full, but the memories and experience will be well worth the cost. As a previous reviewer noted, careful planning with a telephone reservations agent can result in superb package savings.

The Greenbrier shines on service. I remember as a child hearing a Greenbrier marketing slogan “Ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen.” That rings true today. It starts when you pull in front of the hotel. Expect to be greeted by bell and door staff in traditional uniforms. Your luggage will be handled, your vehicle parked and expect a personal escort to the check-in desk one level below.

Check-in is always a breeze as you can be assured that everything on the reservation will be right and all documents will be ready. You can also plan on space available upgrades as standard. There are no bad rooms at the Greenbrier, but through an upgrade you will enjoy extra space.

On our most recent visit we enjoyed a Baltimore Row cottage. Although the Greenbrier is home to many cottages and row houses, this specific two bedroom structure was the summer home to Robert E. Lee for three years following the Civil War. Pictures in the cottage showed Lee visiting with his subordinate confederate generals at White Sulphur in 1868. The history it holds is simply stunning.

The Lee Cottage has two bedrooms, two baths, large parlor with wood burning fireplace and a wet bar area. The front and back porches are spectacular having great views and providing the perfect spot to enjoy a West Virginia summer evening.

As seen elsewhere on the property you will find that cottage furnishings, bedding and amenities are all top shelf. Housekeeping is superb. Plan on receiving service twice each day while you enjoy spotless accommodations.

Food service at the Greenbrier is not to be missed. During your stay make a point to enjoy at least one meal in the main dining room. The excellent food and refined service is a must-do. Recent reviewers have commented on issues with food quality, I have not found that to be the case. I am confident that if any food taste or presentation concerns were brought to the server or maitre d’ that the issue would be addressed immediately. That is the Greenbrier way; customer satisfaction is the top priority.

Other than the main dining room food service in Draper’s Café is casual with sandwiches, soups and the like while Snead’s at the golf clubhouse features higher end fare with golf course views. Light lunches and drinks are available at both the indoor and outdoor pools.

The lower level of the main hotel is filled with shops of every variety. Don’t miss the candy shop or the Greenbrier Gourmet where daily cooking classes take place.
There are activities for every age and every budget. Pampering at the spa, hotel tours, afternoon tea, skeet shooting, equestrian challenges, golf, tennis, off road driving and even falconry are available. Beyond that, a casual stroll around the grounds is plenty for most people. The place is stunning.

The new owner of the resort, a local man who made his money in coal and agricultural pursuits, has undertaken a plan to build a Monte Carlo style casino underground on the property. Good for him! If this rejuvenates the resort financially – so be it. This is combined with plans for new dining venues and additional activities. His heart is in the right place and the staff feels it. The positive feelings about the future are very evident.

Check-out time is always a melancholy affair for me. Yes the bills are always correct and yes the staff is pleasant, but I don’t want to leave. No matter how many days I’ve been at White Sulphur Springs – I would always be happy with just one more.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2009

We had a wonderful time at The Greenbrier!

The property is gorgeous! The grounds are beautifully maintained. The pool is large and has a great view of the golf course and a gorgeous view of the mountains.

The room was larger than I expected. Very clean and pretty. We thought the beds were quite comfortable. And it was one of the quietest hotels I've ever stayed in. Check out the sign they put up in the hallway every night (I'm posting some photos to this review).

With one exception, the food was terrific. Sam Snead's is amazing (both the food and the service), and the food at the pool is very good, too. Stay far away from the casual restaurant in the hotel -- Draper's. This restaurant is not of the caliber you'd expect at a resort such as The Greenbrier. The food was truly atrocious. Not one of us finished even half of our meals -- they were that bad.

Check out the cooking demonstrations at the Gourmet Shoppe -- really a treat! Enjoy afternoon tea in the beautiful upper lobby area. Watch a movie in the theater at night (family-friendly movies when we were there).

The most striking thing about this resort is the level of service -- from the moment you pull your car up to the door of the hotel. We were truly impressed with the level of service and the amount of staff available to assist.

As many other reviewers have mentioned . . . this is an EXPENSIVE vacation. Lunch for four (two adults, two kids) at the pool one day was $70. But if you are choosing The Greenbriar (and reading these reviews), then you know what you're in for.

Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Free Union, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

Pros:
-The grounds are beautiful. It's a neat place to walk around and explore.
-The service is excellent. Every staff member was always ready with a smile and happy to help whenever they could. Many of them had also been working there for a long period of time (25yrs+) so it's nice to see a hotel foster a work environment where people would want to stay there their whole careers.
-Falconry was awesome! My husband and I had a great experience with Cody, the falconer, and one of his birds, Willow. Both of us were able to have the bird land on us several times during our hour 'lesson'. Hint: It was just the two of us and evidently if there are many more people you do not get to have the bird land on you much at all. So make sure to book a time when there will not be other people if you can.

Cons:
-The decor is truly dreadful. The carpets, the wallpaper, everything. It's so gaudy and prevalent that it's really distracting.
-The food at dinner in the main dining room was horrible and very expensive. I'm happy to pay $300 on a dinner for two but not on a dinner that's the worse I've had in a restaurant in several years. The risotto was undercooked, the veal was overcooked, the asparagus was way too salty. Just horrible.

According to one member of the staff, the Greenbrier has recently been bought by new owners. I'm crossing my fingers that they fix the decor and food issue because I would really like to go back.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

Recently stayed for 3 nights @ the Greenbrier and have to say everytime I'm there I fall in love with the place again. Was a little concerned given the bad economy and recent stories in the news about the financial situation @ the resort. I am not worried anymore. Our stay couldn't have gone any better. Staff was helpful, attentive and downright nice, resort in great shape and clean, all golf courses in pristine condition and the food us incredible. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Charleston, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

My husband and I and our children and 6-year-old grandchild returned to celebrate birthdays for the second year in a row and it was as wonderful as ever. WhatAHotel, our travel agent, secured a beautiful suite of rooms for us, including a sumptuous breakfast each morning. The hotel, an American classic, has just been purchased by a local gentleman who intends to retain its outstanding ambiance and service. It is a privilege to drink in the history and beauty of the area in such a setting. We swam, enjoyed the gracious spa, even tried falconry and skeet shooting -- and, of course, ate too much. The rooms are white-glove clean and the staff is friendly and accommodating. Can't say enough. Susan Lyons

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
La Jolla
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

The Greenbrier is the most charming large property I've ever stayed at. The scenery & golf were awesome. Lots of fun activities. Extremely friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!