“What a bizarre throwback - read this before booking!!” 4 of 5 stars

You added The Greenbrier to your Saves list
The Greenbrier
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
washington, d.c.
“What a bizarre throwback - read this before booking!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2005

This place is decorated like a 1950's art deco Miami interior designer gone mad. It's carpets, furniture and draperies - yes drapes everywhere - are very bright pinks and aquas in wild patterns and that are just so dated and funny. It feels like a cross between the hotel in The Shining and someplace Father Knows Best would take his family in the 50's. How do I describe it? It's unlike any place you have ever seen. It is very well kept up and super high quality and nice but so old school "Waspy" money. The indoor pool next to the ice cream parlor made me feel like I was living in a 1950's soap opera. The spa is out of this world fabulous. You must partake in the spa!! Dinner is so formal, the women don't get prices on their menus (god forbid women see the price of an entree- our precious eyes!) and a set waiter who helps you each night the same person mind you, and entrees like Shrimp scampi, or Chicken a la King or Beef Stroganoff. My grandmother would have DEFINITELY approved of this place. Hip it is NOT! Crazy and funny it is. It's a lot of money and rest assured it is populated with very middle America type families with money. That means kids are guaranteed to run around everywhere and if you don't belong to a nice church, you might have nothing to talk about with your neighbors. Honeymooners beware! If you can get a good rate it's worth seeing, if not, don't worry about it. Fabulous activities, tennis, croquet, biking, horseback riding, you name it but boy does your wallet hurt at the end of your stay. Go for it! You will laugh and enjoy yourself - I think!! Great service, of course, they always did in the '50's....I told ya so. Not your typical hotel, not even close.

Stayed March 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
Arlington, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2005

My wife and I recently stayed at the Greenbrier. What a let down. We arrived at 4:30 p.m. and were shown to our room by a poorly-trained bellman who appeared confused and then screamed "J---s Ch---t" when he misspoke during his presentation of the room. This is highly offensive behavior and is unacceptable at a hotel that bills itself as one of the premier resorts in the world!

Our room was decorated in a tacky, floral style dating to the 1980s. The towels were old and very rough on the skin and the comforter was vintage 1980. Worst of all, our tub was clogged and would not drain.

Dinner was average, but far from the exceptional cusine I have enjoyed in Washington, D.C. and New York City. The bellman mentioned that we could have an "upscale dinner" for an additional $55/person, but I felt that for $550/night, our dinner should be excellent without an additional charge. I soon learned that at the Greenbrier, nearly any service beyond a roof over your head is an additional charge. (If you want ice in your room at any time except the standard 5 p.m. delivery, expect to pay a fee!)

Since it was our anniversary, a single photo was included in our package. The photo shop had a problem with their chemicals, so we were told that the three shots they took of us would be mailed to us. We were then told to select one and return the other two or we would be charged for each additional photo even though it was their error that didn't allow us to make the selection at the hotel!

When asked upon check-out how my stay was, I related my concerns to the supervisor at the front desk. In return, I was told in a rather condescending and dismissive tone that she would inform the staff of my concerns and then she had the nerve to invite me to come again soon! This facility is far over-rated. I have stayed in Rennaisance Hotels that were far superior in accomodations, service, and cuisine! This is a metiocre facility with a staff in need of serious training in customer service. I will never be back!

• Stayed September 2005
Novi, mi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2005

We spent a wonderful six days here in August, and didn't even begin to do everything on our list. Our kids, ages 7 and 10, can't wait to return. Although extremely expensive (and the add-ons for service and activities do seem outrageous), the professional service, wonderful grounds, and abundant activities were worth it. Every member of our family rated it as one of our top three vacations (and we have vacationed at some great places worldwide). The staff made the kids feel welcome and they really enjoyed the chance to dress up for dinner. There was enough variety in the delicious meals that we never worried about eating in the Main Dining Room every night. We found the junior suite to be large enough for the family (king size bed with queen size pull-out sofa), especially since we were out golfing, fishing, etc. for most of the day.

• Stayed August 2005

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!