My wife and I recently stayed at the Greenbrier. What a let down. We arrived at 4:30 p.m. and were shown to our room by a poorly-trained bellman who appeared confused and then screamed "J---s Ch---t" when he misspoke during his presentation of the room. This is highly offensive behavior and is unacceptable at a hotel that bills itself as one of the premier resorts in the world!
Our room was decorated in a tacky, floral style dating to the 1980s. The towels were old and very rough on the skin and the comforter was vintage 1980. Worst of all, our tub was clogged and would not drain.
Dinner was average, but far from the exceptional cusine I have enjoyed in Washington, D.C. and New York City. The bellman mentioned that we could have an "upscale dinner" for an additional $55/person, but I felt that for $550/night, our dinner should be excellent without an additional charge. I soon learned that at the Greenbrier, nearly any service beyond a roof over your head is an additional charge. (If you want ice in your room at any time except the standard 5 p.m. delivery, expect to pay a fee!)
Since it was our anniversary, a single photo was included in our package. The photo shop had a problem with their chemicals, so we were told that the three shots they took of us would be mailed to us. We were then told to select one and return the other two or we would be charged for each additional photo even though it was their error that didn't allow us to make the selection at the hotel!
When asked upon check-out how my stay was, I related my concerns to the supervisor at the front desk. In return, I was told in a rather condescending and dismissive tone that she would inform the staff of my concerns and then she had the nerve to invite me to come again soon! This facility is far over-rated. I have stayed in Rennaisance Hotels that were far superior in accomodations, service, and cuisine! This is a metiocre facility with a staff in need of serious training in customer service. I will never be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located amid the breathtaking Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia, The Greenbrier is a National Historic Landmark and an award-winning resort that has been welcoming guests since 1778. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Groupon, Expedia and Travelocity so you can book your The Greenbrier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Greenbrier Hotel White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Resort White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Wv