“True Southern Charm” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Maryland
“True Southern Charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2009

We had a wonderful time at The Greenbrier!

The property is gorgeous! The grounds are beautifully maintained. The pool is large and has a great view of the golf course and a gorgeous view of the mountains.

The room was larger than I expected. Very clean and pretty. We thought the beds were quite comfortable. And it was one of the quietest hotels I've ever stayed in. Check out the sign they put up in the hallway every night (I'm posting some photos to this review).

With one exception, the food was terrific. Sam Snead's is amazing (both the food and the service), and the food at the pool is very good, too. Stay far away from the casual restaurant in the hotel -- Draper's. This restaurant is not of the caliber you'd expect at a resort such as The Greenbrier. The food was truly atrocious. Not one of us finished even half of our meals -- they were that bad.

Check out the cooking demonstrations at the Gourmet Shoppe -- really a treat! Enjoy afternoon tea in the beautiful upper lobby area. Watch a movie in the theater at night (family-friendly movies when we were there).

The most striking thing about this resort is the level of service -- from the moment you pull your car up to the door of the hotel. We were truly impressed with the level of service and the amount of staff available to assist.

As many other reviewers have mentioned . . . this is an EXPENSIVE vacation. Lunch for four (two adults, two kids) at the pool one day was $70. But if you are choosing The Greenbriar (and reading these reviews), then you know what you're in for.

Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

1,439 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
Free Union, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

Pros:
-The grounds are beautiful. It's a neat place to walk around and explore.
-The service is excellent. Every staff member was always ready with a smile and happy to help whenever they could. Many of them had also been working there for a long period of time (25yrs+) so it's nice to see a hotel foster a work environment where people would want to stay there their whole careers.
-Falconry was awesome! My husband and I had a great experience with Cody, the falconer, and one of his birds, Willow. Both of us were able to have the bird land on us several times during our hour 'lesson'. Hint: It was just the two of us and evidently if there are many more people you do not get to have the bird land on you much at all. So make sure to book a time when there will not be other people if you can.

Cons:
-The decor is truly dreadful. The carpets, the wallpaper, everything. It's so gaudy and prevalent that it's really distracting.
-The food at dinner in the main dining room was horrible and very expensive. I'm happy to pay $300 on a dinner for two but not on a dinner that's the worse I've had in a restaurant in several years. The risotto was undercooked, the veal was overcooked, the asparagus was way too salty. Just horrible.

According to one member of the staff, the Greenbrier has recently been bought by new owners. I'm crossing my fingers that they fix the decor and food issue because I would really like to go back.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

Recently stayed for 3 nights @ the Greenbrier and have to say everytime I'm there I fall in love with the place again. Was a little concerned given the bad economy and recent stories in the news about the financial situation @ the resort. I am not worried anymore. Our stay couldn't have gone any better. Staff was helpful, attentive and downright nice, resort in great shape and clean, all golf courses in pristine condition and the food us incredible. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Charleston, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

My husband and I and our children and 6-year-old grandchild returned to celebrate birthdays for the second year in a row and it was as wonderful as ever. WhatAHotel, our travel agent, secured a beautiful suite of rooms for us, including a sumptuous breakfast each morning. The hotel, an American classic, has just been purchased by a local gentleman who intends to retain its outstanding ambiance and service. It is a privilege to drink in the history and beauty of the area in such a setting. We swam, enjoyed the gracious spa, even tried falconry and skeet shooting -- and, of course, ate too much. The rooms are white-glove clean and the staff is friendly and accommodating. Can't say enough. Susan Lyons

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
La Jolla
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

The Greenbrier is the most charming large property I've ever stayed at. The scenery & golf were awesome. Lots of fun activities. Extremely friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

I am a little late in my review. My best half and I spend Valentines Day weekend here - February 13 and 14th, 2009. This is our 2nd time here. Last year was our first time and we stayed 2 nights and got to tour The Bunker (well worth seeing). I love this place - it reminds me of one of my favorite movies 'The Sound of Music' When I am at the Greenbrier, I feel I am in my own palace. The service is excellent, decor is excellent and meals are excellent whether you are dining at the Main Dining Room or Draper's Cafe. Each time we stayed, we both had 1 hour of massages. In fact on this 2nd trip, our friends from New Jersey joined us after we told them that we were heading here for Valentines Day. I love the tiled black and white floor in the the upper hall. In fact, the lower level of my house, in 2 days, will look just like it - black and white tiles diagonally laid out. I will soon call this area in my house, my 'Little Greenbrier' with my beautiful upright ebony yamaha piano and red sofas. I really am impressed how from housekeeper to bellman to tour guide - they all were enthusiastic telling us about their resort and they engaged us in conversations. All of them ended the conversation 'come back and see us again'. The tour guide was right - you are in a different world. It is a 'bubble' away from the stress of the world. One morning, I walked and walked the entire golf course - this was peaceful. I also noted the beautiful mosaic tiled indoor swimming pool. This February, I got to enjoy this and swam a few laps. This is perhaps the best resort I have ever been. About the same season, we stayed at Hotel Hershey (spa is the best at Hotel Hershey), Bedford Springs Resort, The Homestead, Keswick Hall in Charlottesville and most recently Hyatt Resort in Cambridge, MD. I have to say, The Greenbrier is still my favorite of all. I am in love with this place. My dream home. The drive is not bad from Northern Virginia. I highly recommend the Greenbrier. The complimentary ballroom dance lessons during Valentines Day weekend was the perfect touch. I did read in the paper recently about Marriott and another family owned company that are interested in purchasing it. I hope everything works out because I look forward to staying here in the years ahead.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

We recently spent 3 nights here for spring break and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Everything about the Greenbrier is top-notch. The hotel and the grounds are beautiful and well maintained. We stayed in one of the 3 bedroom cottages which was spotless. My husband and boys enjoyed golfing while my girls and I enjoyed the spa. The teen facial and swedish massage were excellent. We enjoyed hiking along the trail that goes around the golf courses, bowling, swimming, tea service and dinners in the main dining room. We really had a great getaway here. The staff is wonderful - warm, friendly, and professional. I especially loved the way they engaged with my children in a kind and friendly manner. The Greenbrier is a great place to reconnect and create some wonderful family memories.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!