“Outstanding as always!” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Cleveland
“Outstanding as always!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

Recently stayed for 3 nights @ the Greenbrier and have to say everytime I'm there I fall in love with the place again. Was a little concerned given the bad economy and recent stories in the news about the financial situation @ the resort. I am not worried anymore. Our stay couldn't have gone any better. Staff was helpful, attentive and downright nice, resort in great shape and clean, all golf courses in pristine condition and the food us incredible. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
Charleston, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

My husband and I and our children and 6-year-old grandchild returned to celebrate birthdays for the second year in a row and it was as wonderful as ever. WhatAHotel, our travel agent, secured a beautiful suite of rooms for us, including a sumptuous breakfast each morning. The hotel, an American classic, has just been purchased by a local gentleman who intends to retain its outstanding ambiance and service. It is a privilege to drink in the history and beauty of the area in such a setting. We swam, enjoyed the gracious spa, even tried falconry and skeet shooting -- and, of course, ate too much. The rooms are white-glove clean and the staff is friendly and accommodating. Can't say enough. Susan Lyons

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
La Jolla
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

The Greenbrier is the most charming large property I've ever stayed at. The scenery & golf were awesome. Lots of fun activities. Extremely friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

I am a little late in my review. My best half and I spend Valentines Day weekend here - February 13 and 14th, 2009. This is our 2nd time here. Last year was our first time and we stayed 2 nights and got to tour The Bunker (well worth seeing). I love this place - it reminds me of one of my favorite movies 'The Sound of Music' When I am at the Greenbrier, I feel I am in my own palace. The service is excellent, decor is excellent and meals are excellent whether you are dining at the Main Dining Room or Draper's Cafe. Each time we stayed, we both had 1 hour of massages. In fact on this 2nd trip, our friends from New Jersey joined us after we told them that we were heading here for Valentines Day. I love the tiled black and white floor in the the upper hall. In fact, the lower level of my house, in 2 days, will look just like it - black and white tiles diagonally laid out. I will soon call this area in my house, my 'Little Greenbrier' with my beautiful upright ebony yamaha piano and red sofas. I really am impressed how from housekeeper to bellman to tour guide - they all were enthusiastic telling us about their resort and they engaged us in conversations. All of them ended the conversation 'come back and see us again'. The tour guide was right - you are in a different world. It is a 'bubble' away from the stress of the world. One morning, I walked and walked the entire golf course - this was peaceful. I also noted the beautiful mosaic tiled indoor swimming pool. This February, I got to enjoy this and swam a few laps. This is perhaps the best resort I have ever been. About the same season, we stayed at Hotel Hershey (spa is the best at Hotel Hershey), Bedford Springs Resort, The Homestead, Keswick Hall in Charlottesville and most recently Hyatt Resort in Cambridge, MD. I have to say, The Greenbrier is still my favorite of all. I am in love with this place. My dream home. The drive is not bad from Northern Virginia. I highly recommend the Greenbrier. The complimentary ballroom dance lessons during Valentines Day weekend was the perfect touch. I did read in the paper recently about Marriott and another family owned company that are interested in purchasing it. I hope everything works out because I look forward to staying here in the years ahead.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

We recently spent 3 nights here for spring break and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Everything about the Greenbrier is top-notch. The hotel and the grounds are beautiful and well maintained. We stayed in one of the 3 bedroom cottages which was spotless. My husband and boys enjoyed golfing while my girls and I enjoyed the spa. The teen facial and swedish massage were excellent. We enjoyed hiking along the trail that goes around the golf courses, bowling, swimming, tea service and dinners in the main dining room. We really had a great getaway here. The staff is wonderful - warm, friendly, and professional. I especially loved the way they engaged with my children in a kind and friendly manner. The Greenbrier is a great place to reconnect and create some wonderful family memories.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

My wife and I spent four nights and three days at the Greenbriar. It is the most gentile and refined resort I have ever stayed at. The staff is sincerely polite and attentive. The Dorothy Draper decor is unique and timeless. Available activities would easily fill a week: three golf courses, tennis, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, trap, skeet and sporting clays, off road driving school, falconry, a complete spa with every conceivable option, archery, hiking, biking, horseback rides, child care/entertainment center, bowling, magnificent grounds, extraordinarily good restaurant, 30 on site stores for shopping, and 230 years of history! We plan to go back every year.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Louisville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

My husband and I went to the Greenbrier for spring break with our 13 year old son. Upon registering, they happily accommodated our request for a larger room (same price ), which was a cabin (room 6307) that had a separate bedroom and living room with a pull-out queen for our son. I loved the kitschy decor and it was immaculately clean! The bathroom had nice fixtures and generous ammenities. My husband did not like the vivid colors, and the bed was too soft, but all in all a nice room.
The main dining room is very expensive, but it was the only dining room open at the time. We ordered a moderately priced bottle of wine and had appetizers, etc. and it was over $400.00. The steaks were very small. My son requested something off the menu, and they happily obliged. My soup was the best ever, and they had vegetarian options.
The spa was fantastic. Very clean and pretty. The sulpher bath was relaxing. My massage was very nice, but I wouldn't recommend the rose petal wrap at $150.00. Not worth the money there. I would love to return with some girlfriends or attend their cooking school.
My husband played golf on "Old White" and he loved it. I rode with him in the cart, and it was a beautiful course. Very nicely laid out and challenging.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!