“A Disappointment” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Jacksonville, FL
“A Disappointment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Seeing how much potential there is in this once glorious resort added to our disappointment with our stay at the Greenbrier.

First, what they do right. We were very impressed with the setting, grounds and public areas. They are grand and beautifully maintained. The flower gardens are especially impressive and make walks around the property very enjoyable. Also, most of the employees are friendly and efficient and attended to our every need. Everyone from the shuttle drivers, valets and bellman to the concierge, salespeople and desk staff were pleasant and helpful.

The highlight of our stay was the afternoon tea with the lovely entertainment provided. We also enjoyed the complimentary morning coffee service. The rich, full bodied coffee was by far the best we'd had during our ten day trip. And mention should be made of the Greenbrier's attention to detail in everything from the luxurious robes and slippers provided in the guest rooms to the elegant and charming decor touches throughout all of the public areas. It was fun to explore and discover them all.

There are nice touches in the guest rooms, too. There is a large walk-in closet and plenty of drawer space. The water pressure in the shower is very good and everything in the bathroom and bedroom was very clean. They get an A+ for bright lighting in the room, too. And they use quality linens on the comfortable beds and in the bathroom. We enjoyed the toiletries and supplies that were provided, too.

But there are problems. Most of our disappointment was with our guest room. The biggest negative was the two plush chairs provided for sitting. Both had broken springs that caused us to pitch backward when we tried to sit, straining our backs. We are tall, but both quite thin, so it wasn't a weight issue - the chairs are badly broken. And their arms looked dirty and threadbare, so I was afraid to rest my arms on them. The a/c unit is very loud and cuts on and off all night, jolting you from sleep. And all of the usable surfaces in the room are covered with extraneous items either for sale or for decoration. Between that and the colorful Dorothy Draper decor it felt loud and cluttered.

There is no coffee maker in the room, something I have never seen before in a guest room. So, if you want your coffee before 6 AM or after 9 AM, the time the upper lobby coffee is served, you must order it from room service. Same with refilling the tiny ice bucket provided. If you want ice, you must ring for room service since there is no place to get it for yourself. I missed having a glass of ice water whenever I wanted one.

The bathroom is large, but inefficient. There is no counter area to place a dopp kit or toiletry bag, only a pedestal sink, tiny ledge and commercial grade toilet in the space, the latter of which is exceptionally loud and jarring at night. And only two bath towels are provided. Even an economy hotel provides four bath towels for two adults. So, a hand towel must be used to towel dry hair. And the TV has a pronounced "judder" that interferes with viewing whenever there is action.

Again, there is so much potential here and so much that is grand, it's a shame about the rest. With some well placed improvements, a stay at the Greenbrier could be so much more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that has been updated so that hopefully the problems I mentioned in my review will...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank FLAlly
Robert M, Vice President of Guest Relations at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit! Thank you so much for recognizing our wonderful staff and the exceptional customer service and warm hospitality that they provide our guests. Please accept my sincere apologies for the lapses in service and maintenance that you shared. From your comments, it is evident that we failed to provide you with the impeccable service and memorable experiences our guests have come to expect. There certainly is no excuse for only two towels being placed in the room that is certainly not our standard and I will speak with our housekeeping team concerning this. I apologize that we did not inform you that we will provide a coffee maker and coffee to any guest room, free of charge, if our guests’ desire to have a coffee maker in their room. I would be happy to discuss in detail your stay, concerns and disappointments. I may be reached at 304-536-7830 or robert_mickey@greenbrier.com . We remain at your service and we hope to have the honor of serving you again.

East Hampton, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

Perhaps ,because I have stayed in true 5 star resorts like the Trianon Palace Hotel and Plaza Athenee in France and the Borgo Santo Pietro in Tuscany I have high expectations about a hotel that calls itself America's resort. When I arrived after a full day of traveling from New York ( it is very difficult to get to this resort unless you don't mind prop planes ) I was looking forward to a fine dinner and good night's sleep. My husband and I had reservations in the main dining room . The quality of food couldn't compare to most New York restaurants but the food was just as expensive. The waitress leaned across me to retrieve the menu and continued this action several times while serving and taking away dinnerware. When I began to eat I realized I had no fork.We had to wave down another server to get bread and when we finally wanted our bill the serve kept walking past our table never looking to see if we needed service . Not a top class experience. The other food venues were limited and expensive . A 20% service fee is added to everything so the employees know their tip is
coming regardless of the type of
service they provide. You are very much a prisoner in the sense that the resort is situated in the idle of nowhere. The setting is lovely but after 5 days of rain there is very little to do if you can't go outside. When we returned to our room that first night I went into the bathroom and saw blackish stains all over the grout in the shower. Repulsive . When I got in the bed I saw there was a rip in my top sheet. I certainly didnt feel like I was in a top rated resort . The next day I reported both issues to housekeeping and the sheet was changed but the stains were still there. Obviously, you can't remove mold that easily if it builds up and this was in a recently renovated room. If you glance at the molding surrounding the elevator doors you will note that the paint is all bubbling. Apparently , they touch up the paint but they need to replace the old wood. There was a break in the rain so we decided to take a walk on the Valley View Trail. Unfortunately , we didn't realize that the horse riders also used this trail so we spent most if the 2 1/2 mike walk navigating around horse poop. This walk goes through the golf course but is not all bucolic as at the 17th tee you stroll by an unenclosed equipment depot. We only received a newspaper 2 days out of four. Complimentary coffee was promptly whisked away at 9:00 am.All these negatives made it difficult to appreciate the loveliness of the public spaces and they are lovely. Dorothy Draper infused the decor with all the charm one would expect from someone with her talent. Beautiful wall coverings and draperies and upholstered furnishings . But the glory of the public rooms is not enough to make me rate this hotel with 5 stars. I had wanted to visit this hotel for quite a while but in the end was disappointed with the service, accommodations and food.

4 Thank Georgica14
Robert M, Vice President of Guest Relations at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review; from your comments it is evident that we failed to provide you with the impeccable service and memorable experiences our guests have come to expect. It is our belief that our first priority at The Greenbrier – no matter one’s official duties – is to sincerely care about our guests and their enjoyment of the resort. This is the essence of ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen. Your atypical experiences concerning the lapses in service in the Main Dining Room and Housekeeping were especially disappointing to read and I am following up with those teams to ensure that issues of this nature do not recur in the future. I would be happy to discuss in detail your stay, concerns and disappointments. I may be reached at 304-536-7830 or robert_mickey@greenbrier.com We remain at your service and we hope to have the honor of serving you again.
Vermilion, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We had an enjoyable trip and it is quite a southern experience. It was definitely worth the viist, but will probably not go back. The hotel is big and unique, but flowery wallpaper and bedspreads do not make for "elegance". The rooms are in dire need of modern amenities and technology. The rooms are small, and the bathrooms tiny. The A/C is VERY loud and ran all night. The bed was not very comfortable, and the pillows were mush. The shower was gross -- poor drainage so you were standing in water to your shins after a quick shower, and no ventilation. Only two accessible power outlets in the room.

The highlights were the casino, golf and Prime 44 Steakhouse. The bunker tour is worth it, at least once. Sam Snead's was below expecations for both quality and service. Draper's Cafe was average. They need an outdoor eating venue besides the very casual poolside cafe. The pool is small for a resort this size -- even on a Monday there were no chairs available. Weekends would be crazy. Some of the activities listed on the website are not actually on-site -- for example, the zip lines are 90 minutes away. The bike trails are nice. Bring your own bikes and there is no need to pay for the tour. The spa was overpriced -- $105 for a pedicure. I will just get my pedi at home and save my vacation time for more unique activities. Do NOT forget ANYTHING. A 1.6oz bottle of sunscreen was $45! Gouging.

It is worth the experience for at least one visit, but for the price, the service is not "legendary" and the accomodations need some updating.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank Shelley P
Robert M, Vice President of Guest Relations at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at The Greenbrier; and please accept my sincere apologies for the lapses in service and maintenance that you shared. From your comments, it is evident that we failed to provide you with the impeccable service and memorable experiences our guests have come to expect. Your feeling that the value of your experience was not commensurate with the price paid will receive our careful attention; and we will certainly continue to work to improve that perception for all our guests. If you wish to contact me to discuss your stay I may be reached at 304-536-7830 or robert_mickey@greenbrier.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We can not wait to go back, the experience as a whole was simply amazing! The staff, the food, the Greenbrier....it's something everyone should have the pleasure of experiencing. There was no waiting, no being ignored, the staff makes you feel like you are their top priority.....

1 Thank TheChabes
Robert M, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent visit to The Greenbrier. 1,800 employees of The Greenbrier work to fulfill our mission statement to our guests everyday. We are honored that you feel that we lived up to these words. “Our guests will experience world class service with personalized gracious interactions. At The Greenbrier, the good becomes “extraordinary” and the great becomes “spectacular;” where each guest anticipates their return to America’s Resort.” We remain at your service and hope to welcome back to America’s Resort soon!
Milton WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

My bucket list has one checked off-I've always wanted to go to the Greenbrier. When husband had a business meeting here, away we went. It's as grand and gracious as I imagined. The service is amazing-almost overwhelming-everyone really does know your name, and uses it often. It is the place were all things floral-curtains, rugs, wall covering, wallpaper-go to live and die. The prices are a bit steep, and the 6.5% historical fund on top of the other taxes makes you shake your head. These folks know how to take care of you. I did the Bunker Tour as well-it was great.
A couple of things not so wonderful-I noticed that the light fixtures were dirty, and lights were burned out, not only in the room but around the facility. While the meals in the Main Dining room were superb, the dinner we had at the association dinner was not-dried salmon and petit filet. Did horseback riding, and the gal was right to upgrade me from a group ride to a 2 hr me-and-the-groom (Danny and Big Red were fabulous), it was also at $200 more for the privilege. Our room looked out on a roof area with no view (2197), but was comfortable and nicely appointed (and wallpapered with two different types of floral wallpaper to almost distraction), All in all, she's a grand dame that seems comfortable in her skin, and it was a privilege to be there.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Lspdoll
Robert M, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thank you for your humbling review. Your kind words for our staff members are greatly appreciated; we believe they are our greatest asset. We could accomplish nothing without the dedication of over 1800 team members. At The Greenbrier we believe that our first job everyday is to simply care about our guests and their enjoyment of the resort. We are honored that you found this to the case from the moment you arrived through the time of your departure. We hope to welcome you back to The Greenbrier for many years to come!
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

What a top line experience! Everything is heavenly, Check in was quick and pleasant, Room (ask for 313, a corner room) was gorgeous. Dinner in main dining room (yes, wearing the required tie) was delicious, and made more special by the jazz quartet; then, that was followed by a quartet of young pop singers in the forum. A classy touch and fun! And the spectacular grounds...! Now, if only it weren't raining, but I can't hold them responsible for that.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Robert M, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay! We are so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy our iconic Main Dining Room celebrating 101 years of continuous service. The Forum is like a comfortable Italian neighborhood nestled in Rome. The ambience and décor bring the best of Italy to life with traditional music and the savory aromas of Italian cuisine. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!
Haverford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Just leaving today. Good things , golf,waitress at prime 44, Bobbie at Sam Snead's. Nothing else was worth it. The tea is a joke. Service at pool restaurant very poor. The staff were helpless. We are so disappointed at our stay here. mr justice have your staff go to the grand hotel Michigan to learn what an afternoon tea is and most importantly how to give excellent service

• 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Debbitoni
Robert M, Vice President of Guest Relations at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit. Of course, there is no excuse that I can offer for the lapses in service that you experienced. You are very gracious in your review and I wish I could be as gracious in offering explanations for atypical experience you describe as it relates to your service at the outdoor pool. I am at a lose for words to tell you how disappointing it was to read that we failed to live up to our 236 year reputation of service not once, but several times. We are currently discussing what we can do to improve our afternoon tea service. Of course, staffing levels, change of venue and items being offered are all being taken into consideration and we welcome your thoughts and comments to help us in this review process. We remain at your service and should you wish to contact me to discuss your stay I may be reached at 304-536-7830 or robert_mickey@greenbrier.com. On behalf of everyone at The Greenbrier, please accept our apologies for the disappointment that you shared.
Also consider these accommodations in or near White Sulphur Springs
Motel M Lewisburg
#7 of 7 in Lewisburg
3.0 of 5 stars 24 reviews
Baymont Inn & Suites Covington

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!