“PERFECT - Southern Hospitality Meets Old World Elegance” 5 of 5 stars

You added The Greenbrier to your Saves list
The Greenbrier
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Indianapolis, Indiana
“PERFECT - Southern Hospitality Meets Old World Elegance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We just returned from four days at The Greenbrier, and all I can say is that it exceeded even our highest expectations! I visited with my mom and her best friend for Mother's Day weekend. It was my second time at the hotel, however my mom and her friend have both been about 5-10 times each. Before our trip I emailed Mr. Robert Mickey, the VP of Customer Relations, letting him know that we would be coming and telling him how much we have loved our previous stays. He connected me with Debbie Aldridge, the Head Concierge, who was one of the kindest most lovely people I have ever had the pleasure of speaking with. She helped book all of our restaurant and activities reservations as well as a few special touches.

We were greeted at the hotel gate with a smile by the attendant welcoming my mom (who spent the first 20 years of her life in WV) home. Pulling up to the hotel is an experience in itself. It’s hard not to just stand and stare mouth agape, the hotel is just that beautiful! We were greeted with smiles and warmth and thrilled to see Frank (who has worked at the hotel for 56 years) at the door. Of course we had to hug him and get our photo taken with him again! I cannot stress enough how AMAZING the doormen are. Darnell, Maynard, Frank...they all are the epitome of southern gentlemen.

From there we walked through the beautiful lobby to the front desk. My mom was again, welcomed home, and we were given a complimentary glass of champagne (lovely touch!) Along with our room key we were given a handwritten note from Debbie welcoming us to the hotel and reminding us of our reservation times. We were taken up to our room by Maynard who must have spent 30 minutes talking with us and showing us his favorite parts of the hotel. I loved taking a peek into the Carlton Varney Suite which offered outstanding views and was just gorgeous. We were thrilled to see we had been upgraded to a beautiful (and huge) corner room, so imagine my mom's excitement when she found the most gorgeous fresh flower arrangement, another handwritten card, and a big box of the Greenbrier's Chocolate Truffles. She was moved to tears by the kindness we received from her favorite hotel. The rest of our trip was as magical as the beginning. I'll break it down a little...

FOOD: We enjoyed two wonderful dinners in the Main Dining Room. Service was fantastic as always (a special thank you to Rick!!) and we loved listening to live music both nights…a very classy touch. The dining room itself is just stunning and the food equally amazing...my favorite dishes being the Lemon Thyme Roasted Free Range Chicken Breast with Rolled Truffle Angel Hair Pasta and the Jumbo Lump Crab Dressed with Citrus Crème Fraiche. And of course, you MUST order the famous Greenbrier Peaches! We also loved eating at Sam Snead's with a gorgeous view of the golf course and at the new Dorothy Draper's. The breakfast buffet in the Main Dining Room was decadent and delicious. I just can't say enough about the food and the service, hats off to the chef!

HOTEL INTERIOR: The hotel itself is magnificent, grand, opulent, elegant, luxurious, classy, and just plain gorgeous. Words really can't express how beautiful the Betty Draper designed interior is. It completely takes you back to a more refined time. The indoor pool is second to none. The shopping is unbelievable. My favorite part of visiting the Greenbrier (asides from the people) is simply wandering through the hotel...each room more stunning than the last. Make sure you bring a good camera because I wasn't able to put mine down!

HOTEL GROUNDS: The grounds are sprawling and gorgeous. The front and side entrances are usually covered with flowers which change throughout the spring and summer (tulips, pansies, etc.) There are beautifully manicured gardens which as you walk further out lead to parks, tennis courts, golf courses, an outdoor pool, shops (make sure you stop at the Art Colony), and walking trails. If you walk even further (just a few minutes) you will be in the mountains and will be able to walk or hike on one of the Greenbrier's many trails. We have done all of the above and I promise you will be afforded some absolutely stunning views of the hotel as well as the surrounding mountains. A fun way to explore is by horseback ride which we have done before and I can't recommend enough.

ROOM: We were in a very large corner room with three big windows, one of which had a fantastic view of the property and the surrounding mountains. Each room at the Greenbrier is a little different and it’s fun to walk down the halls and peek in as housekeeping is cleaning the rooms during the day. The old-fashioned bathroom (tile, wallpaper, etc.) were lovely and had all the modern conveniences. We had two queen sized beds which to be honest may have been the most comfortable that I have ever slept in. Very high thread count sheets, a fluffy down blanket, and at least five heavenly pillows on each bed. I slept the best I had in ages! Typically by the end of vacation I always think, "I can't wait to sleep in my own bed"...but after the Greenbrier I thought, "Can I trade my bed for this one?"

SPA: We treated ourselves to facials at the spa which were absolutely wonderful. The whole experience from beginning to end was serene and rejuvenating. The spa itself is gorgeous and I loved sitting on the comfy chairs in the relaxation room sipping infused water, eating dried fruit, and reading magazines. We used the sauna and steam room which were both very nice. The facialist (Martha) could not have been sweeter and not only made my skin look and feel amazing but gave me some really great tips on how to better care for it. The arm and hand massage was a real treat. It is definitely pricey but to me the prices are comparable to most 5-star hotel spas...and totally worth it!

SERVICE: Of all the hotels I have stayed at across the world, ultimately the service at the Greenbrier is what makes me come back. From start to finish it was absolutely perfect and par none. Debbie was wonderful in helping us plan our trip. Nothing was too much to ask. The doormen (Frank, Darnell, & Maynard) could not have been more kind. The waiters are truly wonderful, special thanks to Rick...it was such a treat getting to know you! The entire staff from housekeeping to spa personnel to groundskeepers to maintenance always have smiles on their faces and always make an effort to ask how your day is going and get to know you. I can't tell you how many times we were told "If you need ANYTHING please ask. Nothing is too much!" They are the perfect mix of refinement and warmth...incredibly professional but never pretentious. They truly seem like they love their job and it shows. Hats off to you for continuing to maintain the highest caliber of service all these years!

All in all, I couldn't recommend visiting the Greenbrier enough. The best way I can describe it is where southern hospitality meet old world elegance. It is perfect for families, for a romantic getaway, for a girls trip, for a golfing weekend, for a spa getaway…there is truly something for everyone. It is an American institution and is something that everyone should experience at least once in their lifetime. Thank you SO much for the memories, we will be back!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Robert M, Vice President of Guest Relations at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Guest, We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to The Greenbrier and thank you for taking the time to leave such a gracious review. I have already shared your kind compliments with our staff. Your words inspire and remind us that at The Greenbrier we have the opportunity to brighten our guest’s days and help them to create memories that will last a lifetime. I will speak personally to each staff member that you mentioned by name and thank them for fulfilling our service promise which for more than a century has been, “ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen”. We look forward to your return.

I remain at your service,

Robert A. Mickey
Vice President of Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

What an amazing weekend with my mother and aunt. We made memories that will last a lifetime at this AMAZING resort. Please don't hesitate to come here. It is fabulous and the service is TOP NOTCH. We were treated like royalty all weekend. It was so relaxing and a wonderful experience. This resort is no more expensive than any other 4-5 star resort. Also, we founds lots of free food to keep us full! For example, from 6-9am complimentary coffee is serve, at 11 and 2 in the Gourmet Shop they do a cooking demo and let you taste the food. Also, throughout the day they have dips, crackers, and other yummys out that you can munch on. Also, at 4pm is afternoon tea. They serve hot and cold tea and YUMMY pastries. If you get a drink during happy hour in Twelve Oaks, you get snacks with your drink. And, JJs serves large baskets of popcorn with your drinks. We had pastries and breakfast sandwiches in the Gourmet shop for breakfast ($20 for 3 people); lunch in Drake's ($55 for 3 people) and, after all the goodies we munched on all day, didn't need a full dinner, so at at Cafe' Carleton (tappas) for dinner ($45 for 3 people) and, keep in mind these prices include a 20% service charge, which is the tip! So, not bad at all and we had an amazing time! Yes, you can spend $65 on brunch and $100pp on dinner, but, not necessary to have an amazing time at the Greenbrier. Also, lots of free entertainment and kids eat and play free at most events. Like another person wrote on here, if you can afford the room, you can afford everything else when you get there!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Robert M, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate you pointing out the extra touches and amenities that are to be found throughout the resort. We are especially glad that you found our newest menu in Café Carleton to your liking. Café Carleton, named after our Curator and Interior Designer Carleton Varney, features small plates and wine by the glass or bottle. Comfortable seating and painted murals surround the room to create a warm café ambience overlooking the Casino Club. Tapas-style food with wine flights and fortified libations offer a casual, fun, and fast experience. Whether coming in for a meal, or an afternoon drink and snack, Café Carleton offers unique tastes from the around the golden coast of the Mediterranean along with wines from around the world. We look to welcoming you back to The Greenbrier soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

My family (two parents, three year-old daughter) spent Easter weekend at the Greenbrier. It was perfect. The hotel was beautiful (which we expected), and our room was much more up-to-date than we expected. It's a great place for children -- there is a very nice playground, bowling alley, and a massive amount of lobby space to explore. The pool is also gorgeous (and huge), although be aware it doesn't have any kid-friendly splash features. The food was consistently excellent, and there are lots of different dining options (including several that were at least moderately budget friendly). All in all, it was a great place, and we hope to come back some future Easter.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Robert M, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
We are so happy to hear that The Greenbrier exceeded your expectations! Thank you for noticing our emphasis on creating a family-friendly environment here at The Greenbrier! Children 12 and under receive a "VIP Card" upon check-in that is redeemable for daily prizes and can participate in our "Kids Play Free" program for a variety of activities with a paying adult. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Greenbrier and hope to have the honor of helping you celebrating many future Easter Holidays
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

We spend two wonderful days and one night at the Greenbrier. This was our first visit to the property, but it will certainly not be our last. We were pleasantly greeted at the front gate, not your usual brusque greeting but a very warm greeting. This continued when we reached the place to unload our car. Everyone was truly pleased to see us, not just acted that way, but I believe they really were pleased. The valet and bell staff exceeded anything we have experienced. The check in staff just carried on with this same attitude. We were being pampered. Our room was ready early so we were able to go immediately to it. The Bellman, who helped us, also helped us when we left. He also always called us by name whenever he saw us during our stay.

We had a Standard King room which was huge. The full walk in closet with the full bath next to it was almost as large as many hotel rooms we have stayed in. As with the entire main building the décor was the work of Dorothy Draper. The hotel décor of the late 1940s and is extremely calming and relaxing. A big change from the artificiality of most places. There is no push to have to do anything, you could just set in one of the rooms, and wile way the just relaxing.

There are more activities available for guests that one could possibly do in short stay, or even a week’s stay.

Every person who worked for the Greenbrier we saw spoke and asked if we were having good day, or how our day was going, or thanked us for being there. Any need we had was attended to immediately.

This visit was for a birthday celebration, so we had the Chocolate chef do a chocolate tower. This was delivered to our room; it was quite large and beautiful. The tower was surrounded by assorted truffles and jellies. It was great!

There is a full floor of shops and stores that are like a full mall, you can buy most anything you want. The Gourmet Shoppe was especially nice. It was well stocked and had some cooking items we had not seen before. Also one of the chefs gave a cooking demo twice a day. Wonderful! We had several good talks with her.

The candy shop was a draw and their items were all delicious. There were also several men’s and women’s shops and a hotel gift shop.

We had lunch one day at Sam Snead's and dinner at the Main Dining Room (TripAdvisor reviews are done separately). The both were outstanding both food and service wise.

We also visited the full casino, which is hidden underground so it does not intrude on the beauty of the grounds and buildings.

We are already planning our next visit!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Robert M, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
We are honored that you allowed us to help celebrate your birthday. We believe that our first priority– no matter one’s official duties – is to sincerely care about our guests and their enjoyment of the resort. This is the essence of “ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen”. At The Greenbrier we truly are pleased to see you; exceeding your expectations and creating memories that last forever is our goal. A warm welcome awaits you when you return to The Greenbrier, America’s Resort, and we look forward to serving you for years to come!
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

We recently made our first "R&R Getaway" visit (2 days,3 nights midweek) to The Greenbrier to celebrate a 67th birthday. It was everything WONDERFUL that we had hoped for and heard from family. After researching online and planning well it was a trip filled with a huge, magnificently beautiful, classy, peaceful, fun, facility with many choices of things to do (most for a price) but some free. Paths to walk the beautiful grounds, shops to explore, the art colony to visit, tours, movies, casino, etc. are all plus more are listed on the Greenbrier Site. Expensive "Yes"- Worth every Penny for us for our occasion "Yes"!
Ours was a 3 1/2 hr. drive from the Richmond, Va. area. Upon our arrival the view of the Hotel took our breath away. Arrival services were perfect and included a complimentary glass of champagne or bottled water if desired at sign in. Words cannot do justice to how gorgeous the interior of the hotel is. As newbies we happily got lost often but enjoyed every new room or nook and cranny we discovered...3 Grand pianos, an original chandelier from Gone with the Wind, beautiful stair cases, outside patios- all are stunning and worth taking photos. Helpful employees are always available to approach for "the right direction" :-) Our room was large, comfortable & quiet. There is room ice delivery, turndown service.
We signed up ahead with the Concierge for the "Bunker Tour" which was about 2 1/2 hrs. long (including meeting up with the small group & pay't. $33 pp). For us who lived through the Cold War era, this tour was amazing. There is another hotel history tour which we plan to do in the near future. The Spa experiences were thoroughly enjoyed.
Jerry West's Restaurant meal was one of the best we have ever had. Portions were large-best to ask how large before ordering-and service unrushed. Our complimentary piece of cake with candle was happily accepted and delicious.
The Forum Italian Restaurant has good food, nice decor and pizzas to order.
Drapers Restaurant downstairs near the Casino was great for breakfast, lunch or a light dinner. The Greenbrier Club Sandwich was wonderful and big as was the Reuben on rye.
We also picked up coffee/tea/smoothies and Danish at the shop that includes the kitchen shop and live shows.
The shops of clothing, Greenbrier items, art, jewelry, children's toy store, candy store, children's clothing shops, spa items, makeup and more are great spots to shop for yourself or gifts.
Evenings after dinners found us dressed up and after 7 pm enjoying the many games in the Smoke Free Casino where we enjoyed drinks in the Sports bar, playing slots & table games and aside from a lot of fun we can say we both departed as winners - 1 of us with a $2000 Jackpot!
Absolutely our best Getaway ever!! We'll be thrilled to return. Golf next time :-)

Room Tip: Ours was a room not near an elevator.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Robert M, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
At The Greenbrier our mission statement to our guests is, “Our guests will experience world class service with personalized gracious interactions. At The Greenbrier, the good becomes “extraordinary” and the great becomes “spectacular;” where each guest anticipates their return to America’s Resort.” Thank you for so graciously describing that we were able to fulfill that mission statement during your recent visit and birthday celebration. We look forward to your return and the honor of serving you for years to come!
Upper Sandusky, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

My daughter and I recently visited the Greenbrier for a father/daughter surprise trip. It is her senior year and she knew nothing of where we were going until we arrived. Had a very nice time and came home only to find 10 days later an unauthorized charge on my Credit Card for over $560.00. When I inquired about it, I was told it was for destruction of property, television and stand in the room. I was taken back and in complete shock. Not only did said incident NOT take place, but before a charge was ever ran on the credit card, I received NO phone call or letter to ask about the situation. I phoned the Greenbrier and throughout the inquiry spent cumulatively over an hour on hold. I spoke with everyone to include accounting department, Manager of Guest Relations, to the President of the Greenbrier, Mr. Kimmiek. I was told it was reported by housekeeping to security to investigate. Dealing with immense frustration after getting no where quickly, I contacted the Bell Captain and actually spoke with the Bellman that picked up our luggage once we had left the room for the final time. He even admitted there were no issues when he picked up our luggage. I was given several promises by both the Manager of Guest Relations and also the President that they would get back with me without delay. After 4 subsequent phone calls to both on the second day dealing with this, I finally heard back from the President and he acknowledge Greenbrier was in the wrong for charging my credit card without notice prior. His exact statement that left me in disgust was, " We don't know who destroyed the television, whether it was my daughter and I or someone on staff at the hotel, but it was broken and they would be refunding the funds to my credit card." I spent over $2,000.00 for a three day stay there and the only thing I got out of the whole situation, was an apology for the unauthorized charge and an accusation of destruction of property. Not once was there any, even though stated by the bellman nothing was damaged, a statement absolving us from the damage found in the room. I stay at many hotels and dine out frequently. The very least the President could have done was comp us a night or provide some type of compensation. The last memory my daughter has is being accused of something we never committed. What a complete lack of customer care. We would NEVER recommend this Hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Robert M, Vice President of Guest Relations at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Guest, it is obvious that you are disappointed with our response to your request for compensation concerning our error regarding the charging of your credit card for the damaged television. You and I spoke several times regarding your disappointment and I agreed that charging your credit card without contacting you or discussing the situation with you was an error on our part. The fact that our President and Managing Director contacted you personally we believe demonstrates how concerned we were regarding the incident. You and I spoke several times before our President contacted you. I assured you that he would be contacting you and that we were researching the details of the incident. During our conversations I appreciate you sharing how much you and your daughter enjoyed your visit with us. After our President and Managing Director contacted you; I again contacted you to insure that you had received his call and that the situation was resolved to your satisfaction. To our understanding we had resolved everything to your satisfaction so we were somewhat surprised when you contacted us the following day asking for a future complimentary stay or compensation. As we discussed we did not feel that your request was warranted in this situation and you were very clear concerning your feelings about our decision. I remain at your service.

Robert A. Mickey
Vice President of Guest Relations
Moorestown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

14 of us just got back from a fantastic golf getaway ... The resort was first class, service impeccable , jerry west steak house as good as capital grille...price was $1,000 less than Pinehurst.............. 4 courses. The private course (Snead) was as good if not better than other Fazio gems like Caves, Kinloch,Galloway and the ridge at back brook.... Caddie josh was great at reading greens... Neat little casino in main building... Would go back.

Room Tip: Stay in main building. ( closer to casino)
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Robert M, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate you pointing out the Casino Club, a relatively new amenity added in 2009. Described as Monte Carlo meets Gone with the Wind, the Casino Club offers an elegant setting that revels in the warmth and charm of southern hospitality. We look forward to seeing you out on the golf courses again and a warm welcome will always await you at The Greenbrier!

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!