My family just returned from a 3 night visit at the Greenbrier. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. After a minor snafu at check in relative to our room that was quickly resolved, everything was great. The accommodations (Spring House Cottage) were great. The restaurants (Prime 44, Slammin Sammy's, Forum, Drapers) while a bit pricey were good, not great, but good. Prime 44 was priced fairly compared to other top notch steakhouses. The spa, golf pro shop(lessons for my son and I) and the tennis pro shop (lesson for my wife) were all first class. The Jeep excursion was clearly the highlight the trip for me. If you take the Jeep excursion, I highly reccomend that you request Pepper. I do not reccomend the bunker tour. While our guide was good, it is really a tour of the bowels of the hotel and frankly pretty boring. Nothing, with the exception of one room and an auditorium, is like it was as during the Cold War. The entire area has been repurposed as a data storage site (huge profit center I am sure).
Overall, the stay was very good. I do agree with the other reviews relative to the fees. The daily resort fee and 20% gratuity are expected at a resort of this caliber, however the Preservation Fund 6.5% fee is piling on. If you need to charge another $25 a night for the room, just charge it in the base rate. Our rate was stated @ $399 a night, when it was all said and done, it was just over $500 a night. I am not complaining because it was clearly disclosed upfront and it is not out of bounds for a resort of The Greenbrier's caliber, but the way it is charged is a bit unbecoming.
Overall, it was a great visit and we will be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located amid the breathtaking Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia, The Greenbrier is a National Historic Landmark and an award-winning resort that has been welcoming guests since 1778. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Groupon and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Greenbrier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Greenbrier Hotel White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Resort White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Wv