“Great service” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Charleston, West Virginia
“Great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

The Greenbrier is a truly great place to stay and the service is always above average in all phases. I would like to especially commend Amanda at the J. J. sports bar who went above and beyond to give us great advice on both the food and drinks. We told her what we liked and she matched us perfectly to our taste. A great time to visit the sports bar is during happy hour. There are multiple TV's going and if you are in to sports or even if your not this is a great place to spend a few hours. Also, Patricia at the Carleton Varney gift gallery gave us so much interesting information on Carelton Varney, the interior decorator at the Greenbrier we decided to learn more about him through several tapes and books. The Greenbrier is truly one of those rare gems that you seldom come across, so if you haven't been there you should make it a point to put it on your bucket list.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Thank you for recent visit and review of The Greenbrier! The Greenbrier is incredibly proud of our exceptional staff members; many who have served guests such as yourself for 15, 35 and even 55 years! I have already shared your kind words with Amanda and Patricia as well as their immediate supervisors. We hope that we have the honor and opportunity to serve you again!

1,398 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
rock hill
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

This is truly a magical place! It takes you back in time when customer service actually meant something. There is nothing I can say negative about this place. The beds are so very comfortable that I ended up taking a nap each day I was there. Champaign at check in was an elegant touch!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
We are so happy to hear that The Greenbrier far exceeded your expectations! We have been welcoming guests since 1778 and have had 236 years of experience in providing exceptional customer service. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

This was my 3rd stay and 4th visit to the property. Probably one of my last. Most of the personnel are so very nice and appear to love their job. (EXCEPT for the FRONT DESK that have been HORRIBLE EVERY SINGLE STAY.) They must really hate their job in contrast to other staff. Did I say EVERY visit!

The food is excellent for a resort like this but is a bit pricey. You do get free afternoon tea that has turned into a mad dash for free food with the kids and adults alike. The new location just does work. So when you add the mandatory 20% tip (which is usually deserved by the staff) your bill adds up quickly.

The updated decorating years ago still is wonderful with the grounds quite nice but many of the rooms leave much to be desired.

Actually went on a whim for a quick getaway with one of the internet discounted deals. The room WAS discounted. Never have been at this type of hotel with a bed this small at a location that was. Well awful.????? I guess I didn't read the small print.

Since the front desk said that if I didn't like the room that they could change it. So after seeing it, I went back to they front desk and asked if they could do so since I needed at least a queen size bed. They said "well what do you expect?. This is a discounted room." They said they could give me a standard room if that was alright." I said that would be fine but I needed at least a queen size bed. So they did!! Of course even though the hotel has mostly empty they CHARGED me the standard rate for the larger bed. So I just spent about $300 less than I usually do at the casino and bars and gave no extra tips to the great employees like I usually do. Sorry!!!

I still love most of the employees that are so pleasant and the quality of the food but.....
DID I MENTION THAT THE FRONT DESK WAS AWFUL FOR MY THIRD OF THREE STAYS AT THE PROPERTY!!
Greenbrier!! "Three strikes and your out!" There are lots of other properties to visit.

Room Tip: WIDE range of rooms for the property. Check out yours and get the price first!!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Vice President of Guest Relations at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review; from your comments, it is evident that we failed to provide you with the impeccable service and memorable experiences our guests have come to expect. It is our belief that our first priority at The Greenbrier – no matter one’s official duties – is to sincerely care about our guests and their enjoyment of the resort. This is the essence of ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen. Your atypical experiences concerning our front desk staff are disappointing, and I am following up with that team to ensure that issues of this nature do not recur in the future. I would be happy to discuss in detail your stay, concerns and disappointments. I may be reached at 304-536-7830 or robert_mickey@greenbrier.com . We remain at your service and we hope to regain your faith in The Greenbrier
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

....that makes you want to come back before you've even left the driveway???
In a word- EVERYTHING.

This was our 4 th stay at The Greenbrier, but in no way -our last.

I'll begin with the general, and finish up with the specific:

General:

* The service is second to none. Picture a lodging experience that would surpass the Nordstrom shopping experience in dedication to complete customer satisfaction. It is beyond obvious that the entire staff has the collective goal of each guest feeling as if they are the only one on the property.

*The food is top drawer, and the selection is as varied as your palate, attire, and budget.

*The attractions are just too many, and too varied to elaborate on, but don't be mislead that this is just a tennis, golf, and spa resort. The alphabtical list would begin with bowling and end with Zumba, witih everything from a casino to falconry in between....truly, something for every age, at every stage.

*The history- is mind boggling- from its 1778 origin, to the former EXTENSIVE US government secret bunker, to the decor, and former guest list...well- any history buff, or star struck individual will not be disappointed with this aspect.

*The accomodations- fabulous bedding, lovely bathrooms, and the uniquely appointed Dorothy Draper inspired interiors. While you might not choose to live with Dortohy's vibrant combinations of color and patterns- day in and day out- you can not argue with this one of a kind- not to be overlooked design. I for one- am so glad that Jim Justice is clinging to this part of the Greenbrier's past...if I want contemporay decor- I'll find a "W" in a big city.

Specifics, and my personal favorites:

*Service: I've been treated by PF (perfect husband) to 3 stays in the Windsor Club wing- which is the Greenbrier's Concierge level. Just lovely- every aspect. A beautiful common area flanked on either end with fireplaces and very comfy seating, that opens up to a spectacular veranda, with a view of the majestic, perfectly landscaped, front lawn. The breakfast, lunch, cocktail and dessert offerings are just sumptuous. Not to mention- a staff that strikes that rare balance of treating you both like a celebrity and family- at the same time. Kudos to Jerry, Steve and Nick. I'd give them a raise.

*Food: Our favorite by far- is Prime 44 West. Very tasteful and intimate setting- and steaks that would convert a vegetarian. The lobster mashed potatoes would be included in my last meal request.
A close second would be the breakfast buffet in the main dining room. I don't care how many buffets you've been privileged to sample- I'll wager you've not had one to exceed The Greenbrier's... in scale or taste.

*Activities: I have 4 and they will be indicitive of my gender ;)
The Spa: Just WOW- whatever treatment you choose- You'll find yourself taking a closer look at your budget to see if you can afford another.
Exercise:Spinninig, Zumba, free weights, an unreal selection of cardio equipment, AND an indoor lap pool- trust me- there are plenty of options for working off your culinary indulgences.
Shopping: AHEM...just go see this for yourself. Designer shoe boutique, gourmet kitchen shop, Make-up and skincare store, clothing,toys, gifts...yada yada!

Activities: Well, with the exception of the Spa (and shopping) my favorites are actaully free:
~Twice a day cooking classes in the kitchen shop.
~Mini seminars in the boutiques- like scarf tying and makeup application.
~The Guided tour of The Greenbrier- conducted by their on site Historian.
~Utilizing the multiple exercise options/classes
~Taking in a free evening concert by The Greenbrier's own Springhouse Singers
~Finding a quite corner in The Writing Room, to enjoy a good book, and reflect o how life used to be...before everyone was too busy to speak to you, and all the hotels were decorated in hard edges and beige.

Just GO!

Room Tip: Spring for the Windsor Club level if you can. Some rooms have fireplaces. If you like snow, and peac...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Wow! We are humbled by your gracious and detailed review. We are so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your recent return visit to The Greenbrier! Our goal is for every guest to leave anticipating their return to America's Resort, and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back for years to come! We remain at your service.
Grafton, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We have recently returned from a trip to the Greenbrier for my grandmother's 88th birthday, and the attention and detail paid to both she and our entire family was unparalleled. They treated her so graciously, I can't ever say enough. The food was amazing, the room beautifully appointed and there were more activities than we could ever possibly do. The best part of the entire trip was a toss up between an updated family portrait we've been procrastinating on, and the relaxation room at the spa. Don't even get me started on the pool and the beautiful space around it. It's like someone docked the Titanic on land, and the band doesn't have to worry about sinking. In a word....amazing!

Room Tip: I liked the historic rooms in the original building with their antique touches (built in shoe racks...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent birthday celebration at The Greenbrier. With an unparalleled range of amenities and activities, America's Resort is an ideal place for families to celebrate birthdays, reunions and weddings. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Greenbrier and a very happy 88th birthday to your grandmother!
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

From the minute you set foot on the property you are treated like royalty. Every single associate we encountered treated us like we were not only the only guest at the property, but like we were the most important guests they had.
This is not an inexpensive stop, but it certainly was money well spent. The food was great, no matter which restaurant we ate in. First timers should also take in the bunker tour as well.
Wonderful grounds to walk around. My only regret was in staying only 2 nights instead of 3.

Room Tip: upgrade at least one level when booking. For a $20 difference you will get a much larger room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit! Thank you so much for recognizing our wonderful staff and the exceptional customer service and warm hospitality that they provide our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Radford, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

We just returned from our stay at the Greenbrier! From check-in with our complimentary champagne to check-out with bottled water for our trip from the valet.....it was perfect!

We enjoyed the Main Dining room, JJ's, Twelve Oaks, Drapers, Casino, Theatre, Shopping, Indoor Pool and Spa.

PLEASE implement the Loyalty Program soon. Looking forward to many, many more trips to WV.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building are so convenient to everything the Greenbrier has to offer.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review! We are excited to soon be launching our new Loyalty Rewards Program to demonstrate our true appreciation to repeat visitors such as yourself. We look forward to your next visit!

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!