“True Southern Elegance” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Charleston, West Virginia
“True Southern Elegance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I recently stayed at the Greenbrier resort for a night but it is not my first stay there. The staff is very friendly and helpful especially the front desk being able to give simple directions to find your way to your room. The Greenbrier is huge so when you check in make sure to look at the map to find your way around. The dinning is exceptional, my favorite and most reasonably priced is Draper's. I highly suggest the casino royal nachos, you will not regret it and get a sweet tea. The shops have a nice selection of different things such as Ralph Lauren and a cooking shop, but they are pricey. If you have a sweet tooth I would head over to the chocolate shop, they make it all in house and the candy is amazing. The best time to visit the Greenbrier is in the summer, not only do they have a PGA tour there but the outdoor activities are crazy; they have falconry, that alone is worth it. They also have offroading in LandRovers and horseback riding. Overall if you want an experience that is unique and offers something that is reminiscent of the old south, and treated like royalty then I suggest going to the Greenbrier.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room that faces inwards towards the property, away from the road.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to The Greenbrier! Thank you so much for pointing out our 55+ activities. In addition to the activities that you highlighted, we are also excited to offer, sporting clays, indoor & outdoor tennis, kayaking, biking, swimming, croquet and much more. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
Napier, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

We have experienced a wonderful night at this fantastic hotel BUT a couple of things the lighting over the room was not good by the bed and window excellent but where you place you luggage there was NO light room 2121. Also the alarm clock was no reset for day light saving. the room cost was excellent but food and beverage was expensive . We are hoteliers and some of those costs were over the top. We will return!! and enjoy ourselves but not the same room.

Room Tip: lighting is important
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay! The Greenbrier is a luxury resort, and we pride ourselves on offering an unparalleled range of amenities and activities as well as exceptional customer service throughout our 10,000-acre property. Enjoying this world-class experience does come at a cost, and so we do our best to publish all rates, fees, gratuities and menus on our website so that there are hopefully no surprises upon arrival. The Greenbrier has over 700 guest rooms and no two are exactly alike. Our experienced team of Hospitality Experts would be happy to help you select the perfect room for your next visit. We look forward to welcoming you back to America's Resort soon!
West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. So much history, the bunker tour, and the interior/exterior tours are a must. Amazing the little things you'll discover about the resort. We watched for special rates, which are usually available in the winter (slow) season. Cannot comment on food, as we ate meals off the grounds during our exploring of the area. Do take advantage of the evening movie theatre but don't forget to bring something to drink to wash down the popcorn. Casino is very nice, but i'm not lucky so didn't spend much time there. The indoor swimming pool is amazing, original tiled liner from the early 1900's.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
We are so glad that you enjoyed your recent trip to The Greenbrier and enjoyed your tour of The Bunker! The entire West Virginia Wing was originally added to the property in the late 1950s to conceal the simultaneous construction beneath it of The Bunker, a top secret U.S. government fallout shelter that is now open for tours for a small fee. The Greenbrier offers a variety of complimentary activities including nightly champagne toasts in the Casino Club and movies with popcorn in The Greenbrier Theatre, daily history tours and culinary demonstration as well as regularly scheduled workshops and mini-seminars. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Greenbrier soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Just returned from our visit to The Greenbrier for my husband's 70th birthday. Don't know where to begin with my compliments regarding the staff and the beautiful resort.
From the moment we arrived we were pampered like royalty. Champagne with check-in was a nice touch. Our rooms were beautifully decorated and felt very inviting. Our exploration of the hotel began with a stop at the Twelve Oaks Lounge. Compliments to our bartender, Fred. Our cocktails were delicious and he offered informative facts about the Greenbrier during our conversations with him.
We enjoyed dinner in the Main Dining Room. Seon,our server for the evening,was very attentive throughout our dinner.
Our bunker tour guide, Kate, was very knowledgeable of the bunker history. It is by chance that during our tour we had the privilege of meeting the Greenbrier's Interior Designer, Carleton Varney. What an unexpected surprise.
Enjoyed the first class casino each evening and the champagne toast at 10:00.
As native West Virginians, we are so proud to have such a first class resort located in our beautiful West Virginia hills. We will be back soon.
Please extend our thanks for exceptional service to Andy and Seon in the Main Dining Room, Fred and Joan in the Twelve Oaks Lounge, Reggie in the casino and Kate, our bunker tour guide. The Greenbrier should be very proud of your employees.
Thank you again for a wonderful visit

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for recognizing our wonderful staff and the exceptional customer service and warm hospitality that they provide our guests. It is our belief that our first priority at The Greenbrier – no matter one’s official duties – is to sincerely care about our guests and their enjoyment of the resort. This is the essence of ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen. Your kind words will be shared with every individual that you mentioned. We are so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy our iconic Main Dining Room (celebrating 100 years of continuous service); we hope that you make a visit to The Greenbrier an annual tradition!
Burlington, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Had a wonderful time with some dear friends! We took a ride in the sleigh with 2 precious horses, very cold but lots of fun.... You feel like you have gone back a few years when life was civilized and more simple.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at The Greenbrier. With an unparalleled range of amenities and activities, America's Resort is an ideal place for friends to get away for a few days. Thank you for reminding us that even in winter The Greenbrier is a “beautiful” place to visit. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Greenbrier soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

After staying at resorts throughout the US, the Greenbrier is top of the list. Not only is it classic but the service, accommodations, restaurants and the casino are all five star! The rooms are beautifully anointed with classic designs and are spotless. The staff obviously are well trained and make every accommodation that are requested.
The casino, is smoke-free, spotless and just a small gem! The grounds are impeccable and every activity that you could ask for is available.

Room Tip: Ask for a deluxe corner room but all the rooms are great and have great views.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay! The Greenbrier is proud of the unparalleled ranges of amenities and activities available for guests. With over 55+ activities ranging from falconry and fly-fishing to spa treatments and swimming, there is something for everyone to enjoy at The Greenbrier. For over a century the culinary staff of The Greenbrier has been serving world class cuisine and with over 10 different dining outlets we offer something for every taste. We look forward to your next visit!
Laurel, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

I recently stayed at the Greenbrier with a girlfriend for a couple of days of relaxing and going to the spa. Our arrival was smooth and the front desk very accommodating to my request for two beds in the room. We were given a room on the West Virginia wing. The room was huge. We loved the walk-in closets. That evening we had a wonderful dinner at Prime 44. We did have a reservation and I would recommend making one as soon as you know you are going.

The next morning we headed over to the spa. We were greeted by the receptionist. I confirmed our services. I also mentioned we had a 10% discount based on a package I used when I booked the original appointment. The receptionist said she did not see the discount and was somewhat put off when I insisted that I had confirmed it when I booked the appointments. She finally did give us the discount. That left a slight bad taste in my mouth but let it go. It had snowed the night before so for the first 30 minutes we were the only ones there. My first treatment was wonderful. I had a bath, mud wrap and massage. The lady that did the treatment was very nice and did a great job. The next appointment was for a pedicure. My girlfriend also was booked at the same time for a pedicure. We had booked the Signature Spa Pedicure. About halfway through the pedicure I asked the when we were going to get our paraffin dips. I was told by our aesthetician that it was $10 extra to have that. I told her that it was in the description on the spa menu as included. She then told me they changed the treatment 4 days ago and it was not changed on the Internet. She told me I had gotten a foot masque instead. She had left the foot masque on my feet for about 60 seconds before washing it off. I told her I had I this treatment confirmed by email and also at the front desk and no one had mentioned that to me. She then told me again it would be $ 10 for the paraffin but she would go talk to the manager. When she came back she said the manager said no paraffin because I had already had gotten the masque and there was no time to do the paraffin. We could come back "later" and get it if we wanted. At that point I wanted to be done. We had already been charged 20% for the service charge before our service so I guess they figure it did not matter. We left the spa. There was no one at the front desk when we left to talk to about this.
We also had a bunker tour that afternoon. That was great. We learned so much and really enjoyed our tour guide and the tour. That evening we had dinner at The Forum. The food was really good. The service was very average. We had to ask for water numerous occasions. Our waitress was going to take the bread I said we were still eating it. She later came back and said - Can I take this now? It was not what I expect when I am already being charged 20%.
The next day we went to the Historic Slide show. That was really interesting. The historian was very engaging and interesting. He made a 1 hour show seem like 10 minutes.
All in all I would recommend going back but I would not go back to the spa. I thought they handled our pedicure appointments badly. We really liked the hotel and next time I hope to be able to explore the grounds if there is no snow!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay! We are so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy Prime 44 West (a fine dining steakhouse honoring NBA legend Jerry West). Unfortunately it was disheartening to read about the lapses in service at The Greenbrier Spa. It is our belief that our first priority at The Greenbrier – no matter one’s official duties – is to sincerely care about our guests and their enjoyment of the resort. This is the essence of ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen. We apologize that we failed to remember this during your visit to The Greenbrier Spa. We do, however, look forward to serving you for years to come!

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!