“Treated Like Royalty” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Charleston, WV
“Treated Like Royalty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We spent our thirty fifth wedding anniversary at the Greenbrier. We spent our honeymoon there and have been back a few times in between. We took advantage of a special rate and were still treated like royalty the whole weekend.
I booked reservations for dinner at the Forum and the main dining room. Both times we received a complimentary glass of Champaign and a dessert. The food was wonderful. The Forum is a causal Italian restaurant. The service and food was up to the Greenbrier's high standards. The Pumpkin Soup was wonderful as was the Shrimp Pasta. The second night we had dinner in the main dining room. Over the two-hour meal we had Jumbo Lump Crab Dressed with Citrus Crème Fraiche and Caesar Salad. My husband had the Prime Filet of Beef Tenderloin, so tender, and I had the herbed Basted Supreme of Salmon. Wonderful!
Our dessert both meals was a Warm Chocolate Fudge on Chocolate cake with ice cream. The main dining room decorated their signature rhododendron plate with our name and 35th Anniversary in chocolate.
It is in the details that makes the Greenbrier a touch above. The staff was friendly and the resort is elegantly inviting.
You have to try the Bellini Martini in the Lobby Bar!

Room Tip: Make sure you have the breakfast buffet at least one time while you are there, and go for tea every...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you so much for choosing to celebrate your anniversary with us! We understand how important special occasions are for our guests and do our best to make them absolutely memorable! At The Greenbrier the good becomes “extraordinary” and the great becomes “spectacular”! We look forward to welcoming you back soon and helping you to celebrate many more special occasions.

1,402 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I just got back from an AMAZING girls weekend at The Greenbrier. This is probably my 5th or 6th time at America's Resort and it is always SUCH a treat. It's a great spot to go with family (all ages), significant other or just the girls. We loved being greeted with champagne upon check-in by very friendly front desk personnel who were excited for us to be there. We LOVED our pink and green room on the 1100 floor! We were in the Governor's Suite corner and it was such a perfect room for 4 girls to be in. PLENTY of room from us and our things. Only complaint about the room would be the shower faucet. The handle was loose and it wouldn't stay on a temperature setting. It would fall all the way to scalding. Thankfully, a handy stretchy head-band fixed the problem for the weekend, because we didn't find it such an issue that we had to tell the hotel staff right away. We loved the room too much! We enjoyed a drink during Happy Hour at Twelve Oaks in the casino. The wait staff wasn't super, but I believe they had more people come to happy hour than anticipated and were a little overwhelmed. Wasn't a big deal at all. While getting ready for dinner, as you can imagine 4 girls would, we probably had too many things plugged in and blew the fuse in our room. The FRIENDLIEST girls ever knocked on our door literally right as the fuse blew to do our turn down service. Melanie and Jaleesha were absolute wonderful and made our night. They called the electrician (he also was VERY nice!) for us and he was there right away. While we waited, they waited with us and were adorable and fun. They are both from White Sulphur and have been friends since high school and now work at The Greenbrier together. They were darling and were so helpful and even left us a sweet note the next night. I hope this gets back to them, or that someone in a higher ranking shares this with them and recognizes them for their wonderful hospitality! They deserve it! Friday night we had a delicious Italian meal at The Forum. We loved the spaghetti and meatballs and the alfredo. The small sized portion was PERFECT (you could have the large portion if desired!). We had a great time at the casino on Friday night. The dealers were all very friendly and helpful to us "new" gamblers. The wait staff in the casino was great and very attentive! Saturday we had breakfast in the main dining room. This wasn't the best experience. I waited 15 minutes for an omelet. The chef said he needed more eggs and we were slightly confused by that as there was a basket FULL of eggs right on his table and what appeared to be a pitcher full of already beaten eggs and another of egg whites. Anyway, once I finally got my omelet, it was delicious, but my friends were already finished with their meals by the time I got back to the table. The staff did apologize for the wait. We worked out for a bit at the treadmills by the swimming pool. I do like that they've added these 5 machines and free weights here so you don't have to walk all the way to the tennis courts to workout (brrr!!). We enjoyed the shops and had lunch at Draper's. I have loved Draper's since I was little and this experience took my by surprise. Our waiter at Draper's was just not good. He spoke very softly and had an accent. He didn't succeed in getting any adjustments to our orders correct. I asked for extra peppers in my quesadillas and got zero peppers and hardly any chicken. Another friend ordered the chicken salad on a bun, and it came on toast. That was a bit of a bummer. But we still love Draper's. No better milkshake and darling, quintessential Dorothy Draper environment! We went bowling before Happy Hour and it was SO fun! We had no problem getting a lane around 4:30 in the afternoon on Saturday and we were also able to watch the Kentucky game on the TV in the bowling alley. We enjoyed drinks, fun music on the jukebox, great staff and 2 games of (bad) bowling! Saturday night we had dinner reservations at Prime 44 West. We arrive 5 minutes late to our reservation and ended up not being seating for 30 minutes. This may have been our fault, but we aren't sure. They did give us free drinks at the bar while we waited and bartender Charlotte was great. Dinner was delicious and we had great and attentive staff. We had the filet, shrimp cocktail, boursin mashed potatoes, lobster mashed potatoes and chocolate peanut butter cake for dessert that I will talk about forever. It was amazing! It came with banana ice cream that half of our table loved and the other half loved it with vanilla ice cream! Following dinner we had more fun in the casino. Upon calling it a night, we ordered a midnight snack of pizza to our room. One of our girl friends that was with us is named Hollis and it topped off our fun night when the room service was delivered by a kind man named Hollis, too! He let us take a picture of him with our Hollis and told us he had only met 2 other Hollis' in his lifetime and they were both girls. He was so sweet. We loved meeting Hollis. Sunday morning we had the BEST breakfast sandwiches from the Greenbrier Gourmet. Highly recommend their English muffin breakfast sandwich! It was perfect and quick. Great iced coffee, chocolate chip cookie (seriously, the best), and caramel machiato, too! Overall, we had a wonderful an absolutely perfect girls weekend at The Greenbrier! We were very well fed, entertained and taken care of in all aspects of our visit! We will be back very, very soon!

Room Tip: We had a corner suite in the Governor's Suite that was perfect for 4 girls with lots of "st...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
We are so happy to hear that The Greenbrier far exceeded your expectations! WOW, it was simply amazing to read your review. Thank you for all of the gracious compliments. We have been welcoming guests since 1778 and have had 236 years of experience in providing exceptional customer service. Thank you so much for recognizing our wonderful staff and the exceptional customer service and warm hospitality that they provide our guests. I have already shared your kind words with Melanie, Jaleesha, Charlotte and Hollis. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and we will be happy to help arrange the Governor’s Suite for your next stay!
wantagh,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

My kids and I traveled for the second time to this magnificent resort. They LOVE IT! The resort is gorgeous, the activities are for all members of the family, and the food is whatever level you want it to be; fancy, low key, the resort has it all. Don't miss the afternoon tea! the kids loved the "parade of the cookies!" West Virginia is a beautiful state, give it a try!

Stayed February 2014
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you for returning to The Greenbrier and for noticing our emphasis on creating a family-friendly environment here at The Greenbrier! Children 12 and under receive a "VIP Card" upon check-in that is redeemable for daily prizes and can participate in our "Kids Play Free" program for a variety of activities with a paying adult. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Greenbrier for years to come!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Upon arrival we were told are reservations were not to be found (although we had booked them through the event planner and had a copy of the email) after being completely rude the girl called the event planner and finally got us checked in. We were taken to our room by Marcus T (who was our favorite part of the weekend) when we realized the room was not the suite requested. Marcus waited with us for them to move us to the room we were told at the desk was already occupied. The next day we requested our laundry be dropped to our room. We were told the staff was short handed and were given directions to pick it up. This is an area of the hotel that I'm 100% sure guest shouldn't see. Because the door was open but there was no one inside we were forced to make a second trip to the underbelly of the greenbrier only to find out that our laundry was not boxed up yet. So yet again another trip. We ate at the forum which was horrible and made our group sick. We ate at prime 44 which was delicious. We were told it would be a 3 hour wait upon arrival bc they were booked (with empty tables all around) when we stated that we were supposed to have a reservation (a lie to test a theory) we were seated right away ( a large portion of the empty tables remained unused the entire evening) the theory I had in mind- that everyone in the building was so snobby and full of it that they just pretended they were busier than they were ( this seemed to be true) the best food we had while there was from drappers (chicken strips and burgers) additionally the rooms while they look charming in photos are in desperate need of updating. Carpet is coming up at corners. The hotel has the room numbers written on curtains (never seen that before at a resort hotel) our bill was overcharged by nearly 1,000$ from spa visits that were not ours, double booking of event charges of course the front desk person whom I talked to about this had no clue if the charges were valid or how to take them off. She did however remain friendly and asked for help taking them off the bill. I suggest the homestead for your resort stay. We traveled there for a spa appointment and stayed the entire day because not only was the staff there very friendly, the hotel was clean and it felt like home. The guest and the staff at the homestead were much more relaxed and far less snobby.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
TheGreenbrier, Vice President of Guest Relations at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Guest, I am glad that I had the opportunity to meet you during your recent visit to The Greenbrier and thank you for discussing your concerns with me along with the other two members of your party that joined us for the “Say I Do” Wedding Celebration with Monte Durham. Of course, we take your concerns very seriously. I apologize that after reading your post on Tripadvisor I must have misunderstood parts of our conversation regarding your stay with us. I would be happy to discuss your visit in further detail. I believe you have my business card, however, I may be reached at 304-536-7830 or robert_mickey@greenbrier.com should you wish to contact me.

I remain at your service.
Orange Park, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

The website does a great job of explaining and showcasing the resort. You think the Greenbrier is a jewel. But pictures and works cannot describe when you drive up and say WOW!! The buildings, rooms are beautiful beyond compare. The staff is gracious and hospitable. We not only had a rich experience, we had fun. I grew up in WV. The Greenbrier and staff make WV proud. There is no place like home and this is it.

Room Tip: Let the reservations staff assist you. The will get you your desires
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
We are so happy to hear that The Greenbrier was beyond your expectations! We encourage all guests considering a trip to The Greenbrier to visit our website first to learn about our unparalleled range of activities prior to arrival. However, as you described, it can not prepare you for the WOW feeling when you first arrive. We hope to welcome you back” home” for another visit in the near future!
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

My congratulations to Mr. Justice for his acquisition and improvements to one of the most beautiful spots on earth. As a proud West Virginian I am thrilled to see this Resort continue it's stellar quality. The staff is beyond excellent. The food superb. The room immaculate. We love this place.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit! I have forwarded your kind words to Mr. Justice. Thank you so much for recognizing our wonderful staff and the exceptional customer service and warm hospitality that they provide our guests. We hope that you make a visit to The Greenbrier an annual tradition!
Fairfax Station, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

This resort was definitely a five star property, with prices to match. Perfect service and incredible food made for a perfect weekend for my group. There are many activities to take part in, and, even in the winter snow, our schedule was full. My only complaint was that there was a charge for alcohol in the Casino for active gambling participants. I'd definitely sponsor an exclusive group here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay! The Greenbrier is proud of the unparalleled ranges of amenities and activities available for guests. With over 55+ activities ranging from falconry and fly-fishing to spa treatments and swimming, there is something for everyone to enjoy at The Greenbrier. We look forward to your next visit!

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!