“Our Annual Return To An Old Favorite” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
You added The Greenbrier to your Saves list
The Greenbrier
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
“Our Annual Return To An Old Favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Every winter we return to The Greenbrier for an R and R weekend. We are never disappointed. The resort has even improved to a greater extent since Mr. Justice purchased it.

The food, surroundings, ambience are great: the best part of the Resort is its staff. Not a grumpy one among them.

We will return.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you so much for coming back to The Greenbrier year after year! We will soon be launching our Loyalty Rewards Program so that we can show our true appreciation to repeat guests such as yourself. We look forward to welcoming you back next year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
Ashburn, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

My husband and I had a great anniversary getaway at the Greenbrier in October 2013. We had such a great time that we wanted to take our family for a weekend getaway. Around the first of the New Year, I booked the tribute package, understanding at the time I was booking a non refundable package. Unfortunately, my father in law became sick, was having surgery, and we unfortunately needed to change the dates originally selected. I was very disappointed at how non-flexible the Greenbrier was in accommodating our request to change the dates. I wasn't asking for a refund, I just simply wanted to change the dates of our trip and was willing to pay prevailing rates for the new dates I wanted. After about 4 days and many phone calls, I finally was able to get the dates changed but was clearly informed on the phone and in writing on my new reservation that if I needed to change my dates again, I would completely forfeit my almost $1,000 deposit. My advice to you is to be extremely confident in your plans as the Greenbrier is completely non-flexible in making adjustments with this package.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
TheGreenbrier, Vice President of Guest Relations at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear guest of The Greenbrier, I apologize for our lack of care and concern for your family emergency and we send our best wishes to you’re your father-in-law for a speedy recovering. Although, the Tribute rates and dates are normally nonrefundable or transferable there are always exceptions to the rules. The fact that your father-in-law fell ill and the fact that you were willing to pay prevailing rates for dates that may not have been Tribute dates should have caused us to work with you immediately to resolve this issue. We are very glad to learn that you had a wonderful stay this past October; it certainly is a beautiful time of the year at The Greenbrier. I hope to have the opportunity to meet you during your upcoming visit. Should you need any further assistance or if you wish to discuss this matter further you may contact me at 304-536-7830 or robert_mickey@greenbrier.com .
Hanover, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

We visited the Greenbrier 18 months ago and we enjoyed our visit, the food was good and the service was good..... But the trip that past weekend was just wonderful. The food was perfect and the staff could not have been more attentive. I will not wait 18 months to go back for another visit.
Forum Restaurant is a hidden treasure of delicious food! Veal was perfect, Lasagna was amazing and on the menu is a family style order of grilled veggies...so yummie. Now if you like spicy and I do, the stuffed banana peppers ...oh my goodness..they were awesome.

Room Tip: I would ask not to be facing the front of the hotel, the view is nice if you are on a higher floor...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
We are so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your recent return visit to The Greenbrier! Our goal is for every guest to leave anticipating their return to America's Resort, and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back!
Bruceton Mills, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I am from WV, so I love that its so close to home. I loved the decor and the food. The rooms were older and very nicely updated, so it gave it more character than a regular hotel. Try the 5 onion soup in the Main Dining Room, go to the infinity pool, and tour the grounds. Very beautiful and relaxing. I loved that we could wander throughout the hotel and the big doors to the outside were open all around and we could just walk out onto balconies and find a sitting area. I felt like I was in someone's home.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed our unique character - over 235 years in the making! The cottages built in the 1830s are the oldest buildings still standing, and the central section of the current hotel was completed in 1913. We look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy The Greenbrier's long history and hospitality!
Chevy Chase, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Two couples went to the Greenbrier for a weekend in late January. This was my first stop here. This is a massive hotel with all the services you would expect from this style resort. The room rates are reasonable though the restaurants are a bit expensive. The food is top notch, the service is just what you would expect.

The tour of "the bunker" was interesting, bowling, ice skating, swimming are all available. The spa was used by one of the party and described as heavenly. Another of our party used other spa services and enjoyed the experiences. Shops! There is a shop for nearly anything. We went into one of the shops and asked for a cake that we had with breakfast, they didn't normally sell this but they called the kitchen (bakery) and got on for us. Service above all else.

Room Tip: Breakfast buffet is well worth the price.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your first visit! Since 1778, people have traveled to The Greenbrier to "take the waters" and bathe in the white sulphur spring water. Today, guests can still enjoy our signature sulphur soak at the only Five-Star mineral spa in the world. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Greenbrier!
Easton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I write this review with reservations. Not because of the restaurant but it is pretty difficult to distinguish yourself as a great steak restaurant. Once you start of with a good piece of meat your work is pretty much done. In a way, you get what you pay for...to a point. The food was great. Service was great. A reservation error was corrected by the manager. Make no bones about it, this is a very good restaurant with an great atmosphere. If you like steaks...go. you will not be disappointed.

Easton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

A classic and grand property with genuine staff. If you are planning a trip to The Greenbrier, you are more than likely going because of its heritage. This is gives in high doses. It is not a hotel for everyone but the staff welcomes everyone. By this I mean, it is an old money establishment that appreciates dressing for the occasion and dinning as opposed to eating. So is you are looking to lounge in very casual attire (blue jeans and t shirt), you will be disappointed in the dress code and dinning options. For the most part, all evening activities (casino, bars, bowling, etc.) require a jacket for men and children to be dressed in similar attire as their parents. My family truly enjoyed the experience and is looking forward to our return.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review of your visit to The Greenbrier! As you point out, a jacket is required for gentleman in the Casino Club and Prime 44 West in the evening and a jacket and tie is required for dinner in the Main Dining Room. Other dining venues as well as room service are also available for those wanting a more casual environment. We look forward to your family's next visit to The Greenbrier!

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!