“Greenbrier Hotel New Years Gala” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Greenbrier

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in White Sulphur Springs
The Greenbrier
You added The Greenbrier to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Jonesborough, Tennessee
“Greenbrier Hotel New Years Gala”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Absolutely incomparable. All activities and meals were extremely well planned and executed and staff was well trained and truly superb. I've been there for a number of New Years and this was the best yet. I've never before seen a fine meal served to a large crowd and had the quality just as good as if a couple had ordered a special meal in a fine restaurant.

Music was great for dancing and 44 West Restaurant served one of the best steaks I have ever had. Service, friendliness and quality was truly top rate.

The New years brunch was overwhelming and excellent. I've never seen such variety.

This resort has figured out how to do it all right!

Room Tip: Request newly renovated room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
We are so happy that you chose to ring in the New Year with us at The Greenbrier! Our New Year's Eve Gala and New Year's Day Brunch are definitely celebrations not to be missed. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Greenbrier on your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We had a fabulous time at the Greenbrier. There was plenty to do all weekend. Thanksgiving brunch was great as well as " the Gobbler Gala" on Friday night. Our rooms were nice. The staff was very warm and accommodating in every area of the hotel. I particularly enjoyed the light up night with the hot cocoa and caroling. I was glad there was a skating rink, but unfortunately it was in bad shape. The only negative would be the prices at the restaurants. I have no problem spending money at restaurants, but the quality wasn't up to snuff (including the Main Dining Room).

Stayed November 2013
Thank you for spending your Thanksgiving with us at The Greenbrier! With an entire program of special holiday events, we do our very best to ensure that every member of the family enjoys their time at The Greenbrier. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Truly the best steak I've had in the United States. I love to travel and have been to many countries. The service is fabulous and the memorabilia of Jerry West is tastefully done. I'd eat here any day of the year.

Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Joined friends in the Main Dining Room for New Year's Eve dinner. Fabulous staff and food was excellent. Each table had a festive hat or headpiece and noisemakers were on the tables. The Greenbrier is a special place and I hope it never changes or looses its style.

Room Tip: You really can't go wrong with any size room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for celebrating the New Year with us at The Greenbrier! The holidays are a particularly special time to visit, and we hope that you have the opportunity to join us again next year!
butler
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We were offered some champagne at check in, which was lovely. I will say the setting is beautiful, our room was nice, but noisy. The food in the main dining room was very nice, we had dinner and breakfast in there. We did the bunker tour and it was interesting. But I guess I expected bottled water, without having to pay $6 a bottle for it. Our breakfast in the little place over the casino was not good, and it was $34 for coffee and an egg sandwich!
Service was average, and I know they were having a convention, so that may have been why it was average for me.
I guess for the price, I would have wanted better service and maybe a free bottle of water?
I was so excited about staying there, but I have to say at this point, I would go back to Bedford Springs, better service.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room by the elevator, it was probably noisy due to the convention.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert M, Vice President of Guest Relations at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Hello and thank you for completing a review concerning your visit in November. The fall is certainly a lovely time to visit America’s Resort. I am glad you found the complimentary champagne or sweet tea at check in to be a lovely touch. We recently added this small gesture of our appreciation for our guests upon their arrival. For over 235 years The Greenbrier Resort has taken great pride in “ladies and gentlemen being served by ladies and gentlemen”. It is my sincere belief that our first priority at The Greenbrier – no matter one’s official duties – is to care about our guests and their enjoyment of the resort. And, in all honesty, I can assure you that the majority of our team members do just that. However, for this visit we did not live up to that reputation and you left feeling that your service received was average. We are sorry that you felt that this lapse in service was possibly due to a convention being held at the resort during your stay. I assure you we would find that totally unacceptable. Every guest regardless of the reason for their visit deserves and should expect the world class service that The Greenbrier has become famous for. I am very sorry that we failed to live up to our traditional standards of excellence during your first visit with us. If you should decide to honor us with a return visit, I hope you will contact me directly for assistance with all the arrangements; I may be reached at 304-536-7830 or robert_mickey@greenbrier.com .
Wapakoneta, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We went to the Greenbrier for Christmas. Checked in on the 23rd, out on the 26th. We had high expectations for "America's Resort" and in many ways they exceeded them, in many ways they fell short.
It is an impressive complex. As we pulled in it was what we expected: massive and impressive. But be wary of any hotel that charges a 'resort fee'. My experience tells me it means they are going to nickel and dime you for anything they can. The Greenbrier was no exception to this rule. The only thing I found to be "included" with your stay was free use of the swimming pool. I know they offer many extras, such as afternoon tea, etc. but lets face it, free swimming pool use, free coffee in the morning, free manager reception in the evening is standard at many hotels.
With Christmas, there were some activities scheduled for the children that were free, but most had a fee. Gingerbread Party - $85 per person. Ornament making - $65 per person, etc. Ice skating - $16 per person for skates. The $25 per person 'rink fee' was waived. Hot chocolate while you ice skate - $3 per cup. Really?
Our first snag was with the Christmas Musical we had tickets for that evening. When we checked about the location of the theatre, we were told it had been canceled. The Greenbrier had decided they had not sold enough tickets ($25 each) to waste their time putting it on. We were told our tickets could be used 2 days later for the next showing. We thought it tacky that they just canceled it like that. It screwed up our plans on Christmas Day to make sure we were back in time to see it. Which, it was certainly not worth the $50 we paid to see it. It should have been one of those things that is included with the $500 night room and the $35 a day 'resort fee'. But it was extra.
Our room was comfortable and nice. It was classified as their "Superior" room and was good sized. The walk in closet was very nice. No complaints on the room. There was however, a noice outside our room that made it impossible to get a good night's sleep. It sounded like a shovel scraping against concrete and it went on from 10pm to 3am every night. I know because I laid
there every night looking at the clock wondering what the heck was going on. I looked out the window and saw the roof of part of the building and nothing else. It didn't affect my wife and kids, they slept through it.
We did the sleigh ride ($105) and the falconry ($288) the next day. The falconry was informative and worth the price for the experience.
They welcomed Santa in grand fashion on Christmas Eve with an impressive ice sculpted sleigh complete with 8 ice sculpted reindeer. That was one of the extra touches I wished I had seen more of throughout our stay and throughout the resort grounds. Yes they was carolers and musicians playing in the lobbies. There were many areas that we were impressed with the way the Greenbrier did it up with grand fashion. Unfortunately there were many areas where we felt as a 5 star resort, they fell short.
One night the kids were in the mood for pizza. We called the Pizza Hut that was just down the road and they told us they didn't deliver to the Greenbrier. We found that odd. We called the front desk to ask for any pizza joints that did deliver and were told that the Greenbrier doesn't allow delivery of food onto their property. "We have restaurants here that sell pizza, if pizza is what you want" we were told.
The Greenbrier is, as a hotel destination, an impressive place - worth a stay once in your life. As a 5 star resort with all the fixings, it is only average.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review regarding your recent stay at The Greenbrier; and please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings and disappointments you shared. From your comments, it is evident that we failed to provide you with the impeccable service and memorable experiences our guests have come to expect. Your feeling that the value of your experience was not commensurate with the price paid will receive our careful attention; and we will certainly continue to work to improve that perception for all our guests. I am glad to know that you and your family where able to enjoy so many of our wonderful activities. However, it was most disappointing to learn that you and left feeling that your stay with us was average. It is our commitment to exceed the expectations of every guest and I apologize on behalf of the staff of The Greenbrier that we failed you in this regard. I remain at your service and should you wish to contact me to discuss your stay or if I may be of any assistance I may be reached at 304-536-7830 or robert_mickey@greenbrier.com .
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

This was our fist visit to the Greenbrier. The ambience and beauty of the resort was just what we were looking for. The thing we loved the most about this trip was the combination of elegant luxury and down to earth outdoor events. We had a fantastic dinner at Prime 44 and luxurious treatment at the spa. Both made us feel pampered and spoiled. We also were able to take a great hike on the grounds and spend time ice skating. We loved the combination of activity and pampering. Highly recommend a get away to the Greenbrier.

Room Tip: Our room looked out over the skating rink which played music all day until 9 pm. Ask to be away fro...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
We are so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy a relaxing, romantic getaway. From elegant dinners and cozy carriage rides to rose petal turndowns and romantic serenades, The Greenbrier offers a variety of options to make your stay special. We look forward to your next visit!

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!