“Not the experience I expected!” 2 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
The Greenbrier
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Roanoke, VA
“Not the experience I expected!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

My wife and I spent last Sunday night at the Greenbrier. We arrived a little early (1pm) to find our room wasn't ready yet. No problem, we were early. The desk suggested we check in our bags at the bellman's stand, which we did and then walked around to do a little shopping. We were finally given our room keys at 4:15 and I promptly went over to inquire about my bags. The bellman asked my room number and said my things would be sent right up to my room. Great! We continued to walk around the hotel to explore and didn't go to our room until 5:45. No bags! I went back down to the bellman's stand and asked about them. The gentleman went into the storage room, found my bags, brought them out and handed them to me. No apology, no nothing!
We attempted to enjoy the afternoon tea and cookies which is really a joke. Two ladies parade out of the kitchen with four plates of miniature cookies and then run for their lives. People storm the table to grab as many tiny cookies as they can, only to have one plate at a time brought out to replenish. This entire "tradition" is a joke. The hotel has to know how many people will attend this afternoon event, yet they act like they are rationing the cookies. By all means, avoid this crazy event!
We then went outside to take the shuttle over to the Christmas shop. My wife was looking forward to this adventure as she loves Christmas decorations. We were about halfway there when the driver suddenly remembered the Christmas store had closed early the day for inventory. Really! On December 22nd you close the Christmas store early for inventory? This makes no sense to me. Why can't inventory be done before or after normal hours as to not take away from the guests?
My wife and I then went to JJ's lounge to enjoy happy hour and have a drink before dinner. When we arrived we were greeted by a waiter who gave us a large basket of popcorn. Unfortunately, the popcorn was burnt. We had our first round of drinks and ordered a second round, only to wait 10 minutes before I had to go the the bar and ask again for our refills. The waiter acted like he was surprised we wanted another round.
Dinner was good and the serve was good, but all of the food is overpriced. I don't mind paying these prices but the food should be exceptional, not just average.
We then attended the Christmas show which was billed as a $25.00 per person ticket. The show lasted for one hour and was amateurish at best. A couple of the singers were very good, but overall it wasn't worth the advertised price of $25.00.
So to recap, I enjoy visiting a 5 star resort more for the level of service that is expected. Unfortunately, the Greenbrier did not live up to that level. My wife and I have visited other 5 star resorts and this one missed the mark big time!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert M, Robert A. Mickey, Vice President of Guest Relations at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit. Of course, there is no excuse that I can offer for the lapses in service that you experienced. You are very gracious in your review and I wish I could be as gracious in offering explanations for atypical experience you describe as it relates to your arrival and delivery of your luggage. I am at a lose for words to tell you how disappointing it was to read that we failed to live up to our 235 year reputation of service not once, but several times during your visit. We are currently discussing what we can do to improve our afternoon tea service. Of course, staffing levels, change of venue and items being offered are all being taken into consideration and we welcome your thoughts and comments to help us in this review process. We remain at your service and should you wish to contact me to discuss your stay I may be reached at 304-536-7830 or robert_mickey@greenbrier.com . On behalf of everyone at The Greenbrier, please accept our best wishes for a blessed holiday and winter season.

1,437 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Excellent! First time visit.
Am experience not to soon forget!
Planning a return trip same time next year! The grounds are beautiful! The bunker tour was led by a terrific guide. The B and B package let us choose off the menu or the Buffett! We ordered off the menu and it was a fantastic treat!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
We are so happy to hear that your first visit to The Greenbrier is an experience you won't forget! Dining beneath crystal chandeliers in our 100-year old Main Dining Room is something that all guests should experience during their visit. We look forward to welcoming you back next year!
baltimore md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

If Santa came to Greenbrier he going to be late probably , He will have a hard time leaving , From the time you arrive , the staff is so Friendly and everything you may want to do is all there , Or just sit back and do Nothing , The property is Decorated for Christmas and even scrooge would have to hum a christmas song .

Room Tip: Be sure you make your dinner and spa appointments when you reserve your room and or shortly after th...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing so many photos of your recent stay at The Greenbrier! Christmas is a truly wonderful time to visit with our 10,000 acres decorated for our "60 spectacular days of holiday cheer." We look forward to seeing photos from your next visit!
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Elegance. What more can you say about the Greenbrier than that. You haven't lived until you've seen the Greenbrier decorated for Christmas.

I was lucky enough to visit the Greenbrier in December of 2013 and I can honestly say I had the best meal of my life. Dinner in the main dining room is something that must be experienced.

Take the Bunker tour! And don't miss out on the hot chocolate by the fire place in the main lobby. (They also have hot chocolate by the ice skates!)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay! Our iconic Main Dining Room has been welcoming guests for over 100 years and continues to be a memorable part of many visits to The Greenbrier. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit!
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Love the decor and the food! Great prices; wonderful selection. Food is delicious. We love having lunch there. Sandwiches and desserts are divine.

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

We have been to The Greenbrier and another resort with similar facilities. The Greenbrier wins hands down! The service, atmosphere, dining and activities are by far superior to other places nearby. We have been visiting since 1994 and have never had anything but the best experience.
Great for family vacations as well as that personal weekend spa retreat- which is what we enjoy the most. We have many wonderful memories of The Greenbrier and can't wait to return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
We love to hear from repeat visitors such as yourself! The Greenbrier is proud to offer an unparalleled range of activities and amenities which makes us the perfect destination for family vacations, romantic retreats, girlfriend getaways and more. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

at the Greenbrier, I had experienced 100 years of excellence for 2 days this December at the Greenbrier. The Greenbrier had FAR exceeded my expectations, and I couldn't find ONE complaint... ONE!!! well, I had truly enjoyed my stay at the Greenbrier.

Room Tip: pick the main building, with rooms that were just recently renovated.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
We are so happy to hear that The Greenbrier far exceeded your expectations! We have been welcoming guests since 1778 and have had 235 years of experience in providing exceptional customer service. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!