“Love coming here!” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Charleston, WV
“Love coming here!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Love, love, love the Greenbrier at Christmas time! While I don’t always like the choice of décor, it’s still a beautiful place to visit and you can just imagine all the people that have been there before you!

I was disappointed with the parking if you choose not to valet your car. We drove around for about 15 minutes before we actually found a spot way outback that was not reserved for valet.

I realize the age of the hotel can present some electrical issues, but the web of extension cords behind my bed left me feeling a little uneasy when I went to bed. If you can, I would request a newly updated room, the floral prints are a little overwhelming for me, especially when they are on the ceiling. The newly updated rooms are much more calming and relaxing. The beds are very comfortable, I love the turn-down service at night. I never heard a peep from outside in the hallways which is always an issue at other hotels.

We ate dinner in the Main Dining Room which was pricey at $200 for two of us, but the food was delicious and our waiter was wonderful! I wish I had gotten his name!

There is plenty to do here!! The pool area is so relaxing and pretty! Be sure to bring comfortable shoes and be sure to visit the Christmas Shoppe on your way in or out, or both. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Loved the champagne at check-in! Nice touch!

Will definitely look forward to my next visit back!

Room Tip: Ask for a newly update room for more subtle decor!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your most recent visit to The Greenbrier! We apologize that you had difficulty securing parking during this visit. One parking option to consider is the Christmas Shop at the Depot which provides plenty of parking and complimentary shuttle service. If you check in first, you might not even have to wait for the shuttle! We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!

1,380 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Penhook, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We stayed at The Greenbriar 1/22/2013. This was probably our 5th or 6th time. We go to gamble in the casino mainly . This place is a easy two hour drive and we go for a night to get away, have a nice dinner and go to the casino. We got there in time for afternoon tea and homemade wonderful cookies. They have hot tea, decaf and iced tea. The shops and hotel were all decorated beautifully for christmas. The large tree in the entrance was not lit yet. I think that is this coming weekend. We had dinner at the italian restaurant, The Forum. The service was excellent, the food was good. Wine by the glass was overpriced. Got dessert which was homemade ice cream at Drapers just as they closed at 10pm. Would have been nice had they been open a little later but I understand its not high season.
They had a couple of new slot machines this time which leads me to believe they are trying to update the slots. It's not vegas but it's close to home without the hassles of flying. We had an intermediate room. This room was the best one yet. Each time we stay here the room size, location and cleanliness gets better and better. This room had a huge dressing area with large counter top with sink, then a separate bathroom with another sink in it. We were directly on the front of the hotel with views of all the outside Christmas trees. There is a comfortable sitting area in every room we have ever stayed in. They provide exquisite robes and slippers during your stay. The shower is great with lots of water pressure. They emphasize quiet in the hallways here at night. Why can't all hotels do this?? Free coffee and tea service in the AM. Could not ask for a better resort for a quick getaway several times a year for us.

Room Tip: We've always had a nice room. No worries.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
We are so happy to hear that we are the ultimate mountain getaway! The Greenbrier is excited to soon be launching The Greenbrier's Loyalty Rewards Program so that we can show our true appreciation to repeat guests such as yourself. We look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy the Casino Club on your next visit!
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

The course was in great shape and it will be great to watch the pros play next year knowing that I was in the same location hitting to the green.

Pottstown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

When you enter the main lobby you have the feeling of going back in time to elegance and the decor of the five star resort the Greenbrier is. The staff go out of there way to help in anyway they can to make your stay something to remember. The diner we had at Prime 44 west was just out of this world, the food presentation and 'Wagyu steak I had unbelievable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. The Greenbrier is incredibly proud of our wonderful staff and the exceptional customer service experience that they are able to provide our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back for another memorable stay!
Cumberland, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Have stayed there 15+ times. Unfortunately this last stay was marred by an arrogant rude front desk clerk. We arrived early and room was not ready(not a problem) and we were issued room keys. After eating we were told we would be in room 1010 and they would call when ready. After the call we used our keys only to find people in our room. The front desk clerk acted like it was our fault and was rude and arrogant. No apology was offered. As well the glasses we used in the bathroom were not changed only wiped out and new tops placed on them (the same marks were on the glasses we placed the evening before. This is far from the treatment we received over all those other years. Very Sad!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Robert A. Mickey, Vice President of Guest Relations at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Thank you for your patronage to The Greenbrier! I assure you that your many visits with us are not taken for granted. We appreciate that you took the time to complete a review and let us know of the unfortunate and unacceptable disappointments that you experienced on this visit. Of course, there is no excuse that we can offer for the lapses in service that you experienced, but I promise you that is not how The Greenbrier has built a 235 year reputation of providing world class service. I apologize that we have tarnished your memories that span over 30 years of visiting The Greenbrier. You have my word that we still pride ourselves on being ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen and I believe your experiences with the front desk agent and housekeeping to be isolated incidents. However, I have already followed up with both departments to ensure that incidents of this nature do recur in the future. If you wish to contact me to discuss your stay I may be reached at 304-536-7830 or robert_mickey@greenbrier.com . In the meantime, on behalf of everyone at The Greenbrier, please accept our best wishes for a blessed holiday and winter season.
West Chester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I had heard a lot about The Greenbrier over the years, but had never had the opportunity to go there. My wife and I attended a reunion meeting recently, and could easily see what all the talk was about. The hotel is huge (731 rooms, all different, according to our bellman) and beautifully decorated, although some might consider it a bit over the top. We thought it looked wonderful. Our room was very large, with a big walk-in closet, although the bathroom was on the small side. Our bed was very comfortable, however, and we were very pleased with the location of the room. The food in the venues we attended was excellent, although rather pricey ($27 for the breakfast buffet - a great buffet, but perhaps not that great). On the other hand, the service is terrific, with lots of staff, all very attentive and helpful. We were somewhat surprised that the two meals which were served in private rooms for our group did not measure up to the quality of the meals we had at the restaurants, although the service was the same high standard. The grounds are lovely, and there are lots of activities - an excellent fitness center, spa, pool, bowling, golf, riding, even falconry, to name just the principal ones. I took a carriage ride which provided a great view of the golf courses and the surrounding mountains, and it was most pleasant. We also took the tour of the former bunker built to serve the House and Senate in the event of a nuclear attack, and found it quite interesting. We enjoyed our stay very much, and would love to have an opportunity of returning at some time in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your first visit to The Greenbrier! Thank you so for pointing out our 55+ activities. In addition to the activities that you highlighted, we are also excited to offer ice skating, off-road driving, indoor & outdoor tennis, kayaking and more. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!
Cumberland, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I'm a travel writer and have been visiting The Greenbrier since 1989.
It is my favorite of the best places in the world! I like everything about
the Greenbrier, and always enjoy looking at all the photos of
famous people who have visited this truly magnificent place. I like telling stories about The Greenbrier - about General Eisenhower, Debbie
Reynolds, and "Mayo" - one of the Greenbrier's bell men who years ago
was the D.J. when they had a disco. The Casino is a casino player's
dream. Many of the players have become regulars, and many of us
have developed wonderful friendships. I'm looking forward to the day
that I'll get to meet Jim Justice, the owner, in person.

Room Tip: I'm pleased with all the rooms. I do enjoy, however, overlooking the main entrance and seeing...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
We love to hear from loyal guests such as yourself! Described as Monte Carlo meets Gone with the Wind, The Greenbrier's Casino Club is a relatively new amenity that combines high-roller thrills and high-class style to create an unforgettable gaming experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Casino Club on your next visit!

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!