“The Disneyland of the South” 3 of 5 stars

You added The Greenbrier to your Saves list
The Greenbrier
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Kilauea, Hawaii
“The Disneyland of the South”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

The room prices were reasonable considering the fame of this hotel and its attraction as a historic resort, fascinatingly huge and borderline gaudy. Nice staff, willing to help, upgraded my room, took me on a tour. Watch out for the costs! I had a baked potato to go for $12 (first they charged me $17, and the maitre d' saw my point and dropped the cost, though the server would not). You really need to budget a lot of money for your stay to dine there three meals of the day. I did not like the room, felt like I was in a cubicle in a warren of rooms, insufficient light. I am sure it is WONDERFUL at Christmas with so many activities and great for vacationing families. As a business solo, well, it wasn't my cup of tea. And it's fascinating for its size, a classic. I was upgraded to a big cottage, so nice of them to do this. The bathtub water came out rusty brown for a while, that was disconcerting. All in all, it's a grand dame of hotels and one for the vacationing family with money to spare.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
TheGreenbrier, Robert A. Mickey, Vice President of Guest Relations at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit. The Greenbrier Hotel is celebrating it’s 100th anniversary and The Greenbrier Resort has a 235 year history of ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen. We are proud to offer our guests the option of fourteen unique restaurants, cafés and lounges - all on property! Your feeling that the value of your dining and culinary experience was not commensurate with the price paid will receive our careful attention; and we will certainly continue to work to improve that perception for all our guests. You are correct that the Holiday Season is a wonderful time to visit; from sipping hot chocolate while watching our weekly tree lighting to enjoying unparalleled shopping on our hidden 5th Avenue, America's Resort is the perfect place to create timeless memories with your family this holiday season. Should you wish to contact me to discuss your stay further I may be reached at 304-536-7830 or robert_mickey@greenbrier.com . We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
New Jersey girl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We went to the Greenbrier to celebrate my birthday and had a really good time. I felt like I had walked back into the past. The resort has been around since the early 1900's and it still has that old elegant feel, but with modern touches. The service throughout the resort was excellent. All the staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome.

The room was not particularly large, but was very cozy. The beds were extremely comfortable. And there was turn-down service with mints on the pillow. Lots of floral wallpaper throughout the resort.

We had dinner at the Main Dining Room the first night and the food was very good. (Prices for everything at the entire resort were quite high. Don't expect this to be a bargain trip!) The second night we took the shuttle to Sam Snead's and had another very good meal. The wait-staff overheard me mention that it was my birthday. When we ordered dessert, it came out the candle and Happy Birthday written in chocolate on the plate. Very nice touch.

We had a spa package, so I had a massage, a pedicure, a body scrub and a soak. Heaven!

We took the Bunker tour which I would recommend to everyone. A fascinating stepback into the Cold War era.

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful. We don't play golf, but there is a world class golf course on the premises.

In the evening there is really not much going on, but they do have a casino, so we stopped there briefly both nights we were there.

I wish we had more time. I would have liked to check out the falconry. Where else could I see something like that?

The only significant downside was that check-in was a mess. It took us 1/2 hour to get to the front of the line. Not enough staff to handle the rush of people at 3 pm.

If you go in with the knowledge that you will be spending a lot of money, relax and enjoy the elegance of days-gone-by. Wonderful trip.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to celebrate your birthday with us at The Greenbrier! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to introducing you to falconry during your next visit!
Barboursville, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

The Greenbrier is a truly special place. When you are there, you simply can't help but relax. The Draper decor is gorgeous, and there are really so many activities to get involved in. I especially love it around Christmas time. The decorations, outdoor lights, and the Christmas tree lighting are all quite magical. My mother and I stayed once last December and saw the Nutcracker Ballet, and once in January for a mother/daughter weekend. My girlfriends and I just booked a weekend next Month (Dec 2013) to take in all the Christmas grandeur this year. The food and shopping are excellent too. Just a perfect place!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review! The Greenbrier is proud to celebrate a full "60 spectacular days of holiday cheer" including Christmas tree lightings, ice skating under the stars, holiday culinary demonstrations and more! We look forward to your next visit in December!
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We visited the Greenbrier for the first time from November 5-7. We weren't quite sure what to expect, but I have to say that we look forward to returning for what became a unique sojourn into another world. I won't repeat what others have said about the property except to say that the grounds and interior are beautiful and astonishingly well maintained. We were delighted that the holiday decorations were already in place which lent an especially festive beauty to the entire property.
There are numerous areas throughout the expansive complex, all lovingly cared for, to sit , relax and bask in the comfortable elegance of the Dorothy Draper inspired gracious decor.. I'd recommend taking the informative tour interior tour tour of the property to appreciate this place in context.
Our room was beautifully appointed and spacious. With the exception of a bit of chilliness from the reception clerk when she realized our room had been booked with a discount, every member of the staff that we met was absolutely welcoming, helpful and genuine. The Greenbrier staff is justifiably proud of it historic past, and its contemporary elegance, but not in the least overbearing or pompous about it. Many of the staff members we encountered has been there for 15-20 years, were the second or third generation of employee.

The quality of food and service in the restaurants was impressive. I recommend a trip to the Spa. Special thanks to the gun club where a very patient member of the staff guided me quite graciously through my first effort at skeet shooting. Wander the grounds...enjoy the interiors. It's not inexpensive, but we felt the Greenbrier offered real value, a unique experience in this cookie-cuttter world.

Room Tip: II would not be concerned about this...we had a lower floor room that was truly lovely and spacious.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your first visit to The Greenbrier! In combination with our colorful Dorothy Draper interior, our Christmas decorations make the holidays a truly magical time to explore The Greenbrier. With a 10,000-acre property to decorate, we begin early and are proud to share with our guests a full "60 spectacular days of holiday cheer." We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!
Durham,NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

The purpose of our visit was to attend a professional meeting. The accommodations for our group were excellent with a spacious room , ideal acoustics and refreshments.
It was a wonderful visit from the time we approached the beautiful white, huge structure till we said good-by. The cleanliness ,room size and amenities were appreciated. The early coffee each morning is a nice perk along with the choice of newspapers. The shops ,the restaurants , and the casinos made for great fun and enjoyment. We did not meet an unpleasant employee at all levels.
Could improve on the pool facilities. A beautiful "don't miss" place. Fun to visit the nearby town.

Room Tip: Ask for a junior type suite. Bigger room with large bath and walk-in shower.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent conference at The Greenbrier. With an unparalleled range of amenities and activities, America's Resort is an ideal place for groups including meetings, family reunions and weddings. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Greenbrier!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We just finished a great visit at Greenbrier. The place is amazing and was all decorated for Christmas. The only complaint we had was the automatic 20 percent tip included in every bar and restaurant. Some people deserved it but others showed that there was no incentive for them to excel. I would suggest to management that perhaps a 10 percent gratuity be included but leave it to the customer to add the other 10 percent only if the service merited it. Our waiter in the main dining room did not deserve any tip. My steak, which was ordered rare, came medium and he did nothing when we told him. However, the service in the steak restaurant was amazing and deserved more than the 20 percent tip.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
We are so happy to hear that you had a great visit to The Greenbrier. Thank you for pointing out that we do have an automatic 20% gratuity for the convenience of our guests. We are truly sorry that your waiter did not address your overcooked steak during your meal, and we will make sure that you comments are properly addressed. We look forward to correcting this lapse in service during your next visit!
Edgewater, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

To celebrate my husbands retirement, I took him to the Greenbrier for a spa vacation. It was quite expensive so I guess I expected too much. The food was mediocre for the price charged and, having been served raw chicken at one of the upscale restaurants, I was offered a complimentary dessert -- REALLY? The worst experience was my "facial" at the "only 5 star mineral spa in the world". My service provider was not an esthitician, but a cosmetologist of 35 years who refused to upgrade my service, stating that "you'd be better off getting Botox". She used a gel mask for my massage which hardened as she massaged, making that experience painful. The ultimate faux pas was when I asked for a lip treatment and was told she had a plumper she could use. When I told her that the high end service I really wanted but was refused included a lip treatment, she suggested that she could go get her lip balm from her purse. At that point, I just wanted out. What I didn't reveal was that I, too, am a cosmetologist and I know that 1200 of my 1500 hour education was spent on hair with 300 hours attributed to skin and nails. State Board would have a field day at this spa. Honestly, the Asian place up the street could give me a better facial than I received at this 5 star spa. Who gives them this rating? They obviously do not deserve it. On a positive note, the grounds at the resort, the golf course and the 2 swimming pools were of a 5 star quality.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your September stay at The Greenbrier; and please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings and disappointments you shared. From your comments, it is evident that we failed to provide you with the impeccable service and memorable experiences our guests have come to expect. Your feeling that the value of your dining and culinary experience was not commensurate with the price paid will receive our careful attention; and we will certainly continue to work to improve that perception for all our guests. Your atypical experience at The Greenbrier Spa was disappointing to read. The Greenbrier Spa is one of only 38 Five Star Spas in the world, this rating and award is given by Forbes Travel Guide. Thank you very much for your compliments to the overall grounds, golf courses and swimming pools. If you wish to contact me to discuss your stay I may be reached at 304-536-7830 or robert_mickey@greenbrier.com .

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!