We went to the Greenbrier to celebrate my birthday and had a really good time. I felt like I had walked back into the past. The resort has been around since the early 1900's and it still has that old elegant feel, but with modern touches. The service throughout the resort was excellent. All the staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome.
The room was not particularly large, but was very cozy. The beds were extremely comfortable. And there was turn-down service with mints on the pillow. Lots of floral wallpaper throughout the resort.
We had dinner at the Main Dining Room the first night and the food was very good. (Prices for everything at the entire resort were quite high. Don't expect this to be a bargain trip!) The second night we took the shuttle to Sam Snead's and had another very good meal. The wait-staff overheard me mention that it was my birthday. When we ordered dessert, it came out the candle and Happy Birthday written in chocolate on the plate. Very nice touch.
We had a spa package, so I had a massage, a pedicure, a body scrub and a soak. Heaven!
We took the Bunker tour which I would recommend to everyone. A fascinating stepback into the Cold War era.
The grounds of the hotel are beautiful. We don't play golf, but there is a world class golf course on the premises.
In the evening there is really not much going on, but they do have a casino, so we stopped there briefly both nights we were there.
I wish we had more time. I would have liked to check out the falconry. Where else could I see something like that?
The only significant downside was that check-in was a mess. It took us 1/2 hour to get to the front of the line. Not enough staff to handle the rush of people at 3 pm.
If you go in with the knowledge that you will be spending a lot of money, relax and enjoy the elegance of days-gone-by. Wonderful trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located amid the breathtaking Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia, The Greenbrier is a National Historic Landmark and an award-winning resort that has been welcoming guests since 1778. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire so you can book your The Greenbrier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Greenbrier Hotel White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Resort White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Wv