“A special find..another time” 5 of 5 stars

You added The Greenbrier to your Saves list
The Greenbrier
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Washington, DC
“A special find..another time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We visited the Greenbrier for the first time from November 5-7. We weren't quite sure what to expect, but I have to say that we look forward to returning for what became a unique sojourn into another world. I won't repeat what others have said about the property except to say that the grounds and interior are beautiful and astonishingly well maintained. We were delighted that the holiday decorations were already in place which lent an especially festive beauty to the entire property.
There are numerous areas throughout the expansive complex, all lovingly cared for, to sit , relax and bask in the comfortable elegance of the Dorothy Draper inspired gracious decor.. I'd recommend taking the informative tour interior tour tour of the property to appreciate this place in context.
Our room was beautifully appointed and spacious. With the exception of a bit of chilliness from the reception clerk when she realized our room had been booked with a discount, every member of the staff that we met was absolutely welcoming, helpful and genuine. The Greenbrier staff is justifiably proud of it historic past, and its contemporary elegance, but not in the least overbearing or pompous about it. Many of the staff members we encountered has been there for 15-20 years, were the second or third generation of employee.

The quality of food and service in the restaurants was impressive. I recommend a trip to the Spa. Special thanks to the gun club where a very patient member of the staff guided me quite graciously through my first effort at skeet shooting. Wander the grounds...enjoy the interiors. It's not inexpensive, but we felt the Greenbrier offered real value, a unique experience in this cookie-cuttter world.

Room Tip: II would not be concerned about this...we had a lower floor room that was truly lovely and spacious.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your first visit to The Greenbrier! In combination with our colorful Dorothy Draper interior, our Christmas decorations make the holidays a truly magical time to explore The Greenbrier. With a 10,000-acre property to decorate, we begin early and are proud to share with our guests a full "60 spectacular days of holiday cheer." We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
Durham,NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

The purpose of our visit was to attend a professional meeting. The accommodations for our group were excellent with a spacious room , ideal acoustics and refreshments.
It was a wonderful visit from the time we approached the beautiful white, huge structure till we said good-by. The cleanliness ,room size and amenities were appreciated. The early coffee each morning is a nice perk along with the choice of newspapers. The shops ,the restaurants , and the casinos made for great fun and enjoyment. We did not meet an unpleasant employee at all levels.
Could improve on the pool facilities. A beautiful "don't miss" place. Fun to visit the nearby town.

Room Tip: Ask for a junior type suite. Bigger room with large bath and walk-in shower.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent conference at The Greenbrier. With an unparalleled range of amenities and activities, America's Resort is an ideal place for groups including meetings, family reunions and weddings. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Greenbrier!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We just finished a great visit at Greenbrier. The place is amazing and was all decorated for Christmas. The only complaint we had was the automatic 20 percent tip included in every bar and restaurant. Some people deserved it but others showed that there was no incentive for them to excel. I would suggest to management that perhaps a 10 percent gratuity be included but leave it to the customer to add the other 10 percent only if the service merited it. Our waiter in the main dining room did not deserve any tip. My steak, which was ordered rare, came medium and he did nothing when we told him. However, the service in the steak restaurant was amazing and deserved more than the 20 percent tip.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
We are so happy to hear that you had a great visit to The Greenbrier. Thank you for pointing out that we do have an automatic 20% gratuity for the convenience of our guests. We are truly sorry that your waiter did not address your overcooked steak during your meal, and we will make sure that you comments are properly addressed. We look forward to correcting this lapse in service during your next visit!
Edgewater, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

To celebrate my husbands retirement, I took him to the Greenbrier for a spa vacation. It was quite expensive so I guess I expected too much. The food was mediocre for the price charged and, having been served raw chicken at one of the upscale restaurants, I was offered a complimentary dessert -- REALLY? The worst experience was my "facial" at the "only 5 star mineral spa in the world". My service provider was not an esthitician, but a cosmetologist of 35 years who refused to upgrade my service, stating that "you'd be better off getting Botox". She used a gel mask for my massage which hardened as she massaged, making that experience painful. The ultimate faux pas was when I asked for a lip treatment and was told she had a plumper she could use. When I told her that the high end service I really wanted but was refused included a lip treatment, she suggested that she could go get her lip balm from her purse. At that point, I just wanted out. What I didn't reveal was that I, too, am a cosmetologist and I know that 1200 of my 1500 hour education was spent on hair with 300 hours attributed to skin and nails. State Board would have a field day at this spa. Honestly, the Asian place up the street could give me a better facial than I received at this 5 star spa. Who gives them this rating? They obviously do not deserve it. On a positive note, the grounds at the resort, the golf course and the 2 swimming pools were of a 5 star quality.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Robert A. Mickey, Vice President of Guest Relations at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your September stay at The Greenbrier; and please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings and disappointments you shared. From your comments, it is evident that we failed to provide you with the impeccable service and memorable experiences our guests have come to expect. Your feeling that the value of your dining and culinary experience was not commensurate with the price paid will receive our careful attention; and we will certainly continue to work to improve that perception for all our guests. Your atypical experience at The Greenbrier Spa was disappointing to read. The Greenbrier Spa is one of only 38 Five Star Spas in the world, this rating and award is given by Forbes Travel Guide. Thank you very much for your compliments to the overall grounds, golf courses and swimming pools. If you wish to contact me to discuss your stay I may be reached at 304-536-7830 or robert_mickey@greenbrier.com .
Morgantown, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Everything started out well, except for no dinner reservations for day 1, and two for day two! If it were my mistake you would think they would have pointed it out, so for day one it was the only place that did not require a reservation. My husband and I both ordered the fried chicken dinner at over 25 a plate, really fried chicken is not worth that much. The small portion of green beans were very greasy, and I am sure the mashed potatoes were instant. They automatically add in a 20% tip, so eating here is quite expensive to say the least. All of the staff are extremely nice, but let me decide if worth 20%. Room service food seemed to be tge better quality, and again very attentive, accomodating staff. Day two, we had reservations. We were placed in the corner where the wait staff place orders so it was hustle and bustle with not much privacy. We waited 45 min for our food, and my shrimp was raw. I could not eat it, we walked out! Popcorn at JJs the sports bar was dinner. We ordered room service again that night, and was very pleased. There are an array of activities to choose from, so we stayed quite busy. Most are reasonably priced. Bottles of watervrun from 2 to 3 bucks, so pack a small cooler and bring your own. We had the bed and breakfast package, so our buffet breakfast, with the omlette station was included. Very nice variety of food, potatoes could really be better if they are indeed made by avreal chef. Overall our stay was very pleasant.

Room Tip: Ask for a view. Bring comfy shoes, as it is quite a hike from your room to anywhere. Pack a lot of...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are happy to hear that you were very pleased with both of your room service meals, but we are incredibly sorry to hear that your restaurant experiences did not meet your (or our) expectations of service or quality. We hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to fully enjoy Greenbrier dining at its very best!
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

My husband and I spent an absolutely delightful overnight at the spectacular Greenbrier Resort and loved every minute of it. The service was impeccable, the food delicious, and the setting was awesome. I personally love the Dorothy Draper decor (to visit but not actually live with) but even my husband admitted it and was very well done added to the overall ambience. We ate at Drapers several times ( the Chicken Pot Pie and the Chicken with Waffles are to die for), had breakfast and High Tea in the Main Dining Room and drinks in the lobby bar and in Carlyles. Every venue was different but all equally wonderful. I highly recommend a carriage ride around the property and the Bunker Tour, but it is just as enjoyable to sit and people watch in the lobby, window-shop in the boutiques or wander around the property. Our room was big and gorgeous - a corner room, which surprised me since we were there on a discount promotion. I thought we would get a small room in the attic for the price we were paying. We plan on going back often to see the resort at different times of the year. The robes they provide are the softest, most comfortable i have experienced and they are very reasonably priced. (under $100) so now I get a wonderful reminder of the Greenbrier every morning!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for letting us know about your delightful overnight stay! As you mentioned, The Greenbrier is known for its distinctive Dorothy Draper decor featuring vibrant colors, bold contrasts and floral patterns. When fully decorated for our "60 spectacular days of holiday cheer," it is truly a magical experience! We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

With a bottle of champagne and all charges my tab was $280. I've spent twice as much for less food and felt it was a better deal. Our server was a little overwhelmed in the middle of service. My wife's steak was ordered MR and came out "BLUE" and the lobster mashers tasted like instant potatoes and were cold and tasteless. I ordered the house special Peach Tea Chicken which was a 5oz tasteless breast except for the one bad bite which came back to haunt me the next morning and for the rest of our stay. We'll do our dining off campus for future visits.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!