We visited the Greenbrier for the first time from November 5-7. We weren't quite sure what to expect, but I have to say that we look forward to returning for what became a unique sojourn into another world. I won't repeat what others have said about the property except to say that the grounds and interior are beautiful and astonishingly well maintained. We were delighted that the holiday decorations were already in place which lent an especially festive beauty to the entire property.
There are numerous areas throughout the expansive complex, all lovingly cared for, to sit , relax and bask in the comfortable elegance of the Dorothy Draper inspired gracious decor.. I'd recommend taking the informative tour interior tour tour of the property to appreciate this place in context.
Our room was beautifully appointed and spacious. With the exception of a bit of chilliness from the reception clerk when she realized our room had been booked with a discount, every member of the staff that we met was absolutely welcoming, helpful and genuine. The Greenbrier staff is justifiably proud of it historic past, and its contemporary elegance, but not in the least overbearing or pompous about it. Many of the staff members we encountered has been there for 15-20 years, were the second or third generation of employee.
The quality of food and service in the restaurants was impressive. I recommend a trip to the Spa. Special thanks to the gun club where a very patient member of the staff guided me quite graciously through my first effort at skeet shooting. Wander the grounds...enjoy the interiors. It's not inexpensive, but we felt the Greenbrier offered real value, a unique experience in this cookie-cuttter world.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located amid the breathtaking Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia, The Greenbrier is a National Historic Landmark and an award-winning resort that has been welcoming guests since 1778. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your The Greenbrier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Greenbrier Hotel White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Resort White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Wv