“Definitely not a 5 star resort” 1 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
The Greenbrier
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Edgewater, Maryland
“Definitely not a 5 star resort”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

To celebrate my husbands retirement, I took him to the Greenbrier for a spa vacation. It was quite expensive so I guess I expected too much. The food was mediocre for the price charged and, having been served raw chicken at one of the upscale restaurants, I was offered a complimentary dessert -- REALLY? The worst experience was my "facial" at the "only 5 star mineral spa in the world". My service provider was not an esthitician, but a cosmetologist of 35 years who refused to upgrade my service, stating that "you'd be better off getting Botox". She used a gel mask for my massage which hardened as she massaged, making that experience painful. The ultimate faux pas was when I asked for a lip treatment and was told she had a plumper she could use. When I told her that the high end service I really wanted but was refused included a lip treatment, she suggested that she could go get her lip balm from her purse. At that point, I just wanted out. What I didn't reveal was that I, too, am a cosmetologist and I know that 1200 of my 1500 hour education was spent on hair with 300 hours attributed to skin and nails. State Board would have a field day at this spa. Honestly, the Asian place up the street could give me a better facial than I received at this 5 star spa. Who gives them this rating? They obviously do not deserve it. On a positive note, the grounds at the resort, the golf course and the 2 swimming pools were of a 5 star quality.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Robert A. Mickey, Vice President of Guest Relations at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your September stay at The Greenbrier; and please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings and disappointments you shared. From your comments, it is evident that we failed to provide you with the impeccable service and memorable experiences our guests have come to expect. Your feeling that the value of your dining and culinary experience was not commensurate with the price paid will receive our careful attention; and we will certainly continue to work to improve that perception for all our guests. Your atypical experience at The Greenbrier Spa was disappointing to read. The Greenbrier Spa is one of only 38 Five Star Spas in the world, this rating and award is given by Forbes Travel Guide. Thank you very much for your compliments to the overall grounds, golf courses and swimming pools. If you wish to contact me to discuss your stay I may be reached at 304-536-7830 or robert_mickey@greenbrier.com .

1,398 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Morgantown, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Everything started out well, except for no dinner reservations for day 1, and two for day two! If it were my mistake you would think they would have pointed it out, so for day one it was the only place that did not require a reservation. My husband and I both ordered the fried chicken dinner at over 25 a plate, really fried chicken is not worth that much. The small portion of green beans were very greasy, and I am sure the mashed potatoes were instant. They automatically add in a 20% tip, so eating here is quite expensive to say the least. All of the staff are extremely nice, but let me decide if worth 20%. Room service food seemed to be tge better quality, and again very attentive, accomodating staff. Day two, we had reservations. We were placed in the corner where the wait staff place orders so it was hustle and bustle with not much privacy. We waited 45 min for our food, and my shrimp was raw. I could not eat it, we walked out! Popcorn at JJs the sports bar was dinner. We ordered room service again that night, and was very pleased. There are an array of activities to choose from, so we stayed quite busy. Most are reasonably priced. Bottles of watervrun from 2 to 3 bucks, so pack a small cooler and bring your own. We had the bed and breakfast package, so our buffet breakfast, with the omlette station was included. Very nice variety of food, potatoes could really be better if they are indeed made by avreal chef. Overall our stay was very pleasant.

Room Tip: Ask for a view. Bring comfy shoes, as it is quite a hike from your room to anywhere. Pack a lot of...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are happy to hear that you were very pleased with both of your room service meals, but we are incredibly sorry to hear that your restaurant experiences did not meet your (or our) expectations of service or quality. We hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to fully enjoy Greenbrier dining at its very best!
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

My husband and I spent an absolutely delightful overnight at the spectacular Greenbrier Resort and loved every minute of it. The service was impeccable, the food delicious, and the setting was awesome. I personally love the Dorothy Draper decor (to visit but not actually live with) but even my husband admitted it and was very well done added to the overall ambience. We ate at Drapers several times ( the Chicken Pot Pie and the Chicken with Waffles are to die for), had breakfast and High Tea in the Main Dining Room and drinks in the lobby bar and in Carlyles. Every venue was different but all equally wonderful. I highly recommend a carriage ride around the property and the Bunker Tour, but it is just as enjoyable to sit and people watch in the lobby, window-shop in the boutiques or wander around the property. Our room was big and gorgeous - a corner room, which surprised me since we were there on a discount promotion. I thought we would get a small room in the attic for the price we were paying. We plan on going back often to see the resort at different times of the year. The robes they provide are the softest, most comfortable i have experienced and they are very reasonably priced. (under $100) so now I get a wonderful reminder of the Greenbrier every morning!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for letting us know about your delightful overnight stay! As you mentioned, The Greenbrier is known for its distinctive Dorothy Draper decor featuring vibrant colors, bold contrasts and floral patterns. When fully decorated for our "60 spectacular days of holiday cheer," it is truly a magical experience! We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

With a bottle of champagne and all charges my tab was $280. I've spent twice as much for less food and felt it was a better deal. Our server was a little overwhelmed in the middle of service. My wife's steak was ordered MR and came out "BLUE" and the lobster mashers tasted like instant potatoes and were cold and tasteless. I ordered the house special Peach Tea Chicken which was a 5oz tasteless breast except for the one bad bite which came back to haunt me the next morning and for the rest of our stay. We'll do our dining off campus for future visits.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Going back in time, not just with the physical nature of this grand old lady but with the quality of service. The whole physical plant does not depict its age, it is grand and glorious, old but staying true to that era and its roots. Everyone is just so pleasant. We found great shopping which might be the best deals there and the shop owners were so knowledgeable and pleasant while sharing their stories. Activities are a bit much but you don't have to partake if it's not a deal for you. Sadly, the dining is a cliche regarding eating in hotels. I'll save the dining reviews for each restaurant we visited so as not to put too much negativity in this review. To summarize, we plan to go back to enjoy the hotel in spite of the dining.

Room Tip: We had the least expensive room and were more than happy.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review! We are proud to offer guests our "hidden 5th Avenue Greenbrier shopping mall" offering an unparalleled assortment of signature gifts, art, toys, furniture, sporting goods, fine jewelry and luxury apparel. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

This visit was all that I expected and more. It was a lovely experience staying there. Everything is beautiful and all of the staff were professional and nice. I went primarily for the bunker tour. The tour was disappointing, the hotel was amazing and far outweighed the disappointment with the tour. I plan to visit again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit! We are so glad to hear that you overall visit exceeded your expectations, and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

We were expecting an average meal due to the ice cream parlor feel however it was great! The salmon had a great crust and the steak was perfect. Don't leave without eating the ice cream!

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!