“A Visit to the Glories of a Bygone Era” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
The Greenbrier
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Charlottesville, Virginia
“A Visit to the Glories of a Bygone Era”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

My husband and I spent an absolutely delightful overnight at the spectacular Greenbrier Resort and loved every minute of it. The service was impeccable, the food delicious, and the setting was awesome. I personally love the Dorothy Draper decor (to visit but not actually live with) but even my husband admitted it and was very well done added to the overall ambience. We ate at Drapers several times ( the Chicken Pot Pie and the Chicken with Waffles are to die for), had breakfast and High Tea in the Main Dining Room and drinks in the lobby bar and in Carlyles. Every venue was different but all equally wonderful. I highly recommend a carriage ride around the property and the Bunker Tour, but it is just as enjoyable to sit and people watch in the lobby, window-shop in the boutiques or wander around the property. Our room was big and gorgeous - a corner room, which surprised me since we were there on a discount promotion. I thought we would get a small room in the attic for the price we were paying. We plan on going back often to see the resort at different times of the year. The robes they provide are the softest, most comfortable i have experienced and they are very reasonably priced. (under $100) so now I get a wonderful reminder of the Greenbrier every morning!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you for letting us know about your delightful overnight stay! As you mentioned, The Greenbrier is known for its distinctive Dorothy Draper decor featuring vibrant colors, bold contrasts and floral patterns. When fully decorated for our "60 spectacular days of holiday cheer," it is truly a magical experience! We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!

1,440 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

With a bottle of champagne and all charges my tab was $280. I've spent twice as much for less food and felt it was a better deal. Our server was a little overwhelmed in the middle of service. My wife's steak was ordered MR and came out "BLUE" and the lobster mashers tasted like instant potatoes and were cold and tasteless. I ordered the house special Peach Tea Chicken which was a 5oz tasteless breast except for the one bad bite which came back to haunt me the next morning and for the rest of our stay. We'll do our dining off campus for future visits.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Going back in time, not just with the physical nature of this grand old lady but with the quality of service. The whole physical plant does not depict its age, it is grand and glorious, old but staying true to that era and its roots. Everyone is just so pleasant. We found great shopping which might be the best deals there and the shop owners were so knowledgeable and pleasant while sharing their stories. Activities are a bit much but you don't have to partake if it's not a deal for you. Sadly, the dining is a cliche regarding eating in hotels. I'll save the dining reviews for each restaurant we visited so as not to put too much negativity in this review. To summarize, we plan to go back to enjoy the hotel in spite of the dining.

Room Tip: We had the least expensive room and were more than happy.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review! We are proud to offer guests our "hidden 5th Avenue Greenbrier shopping mall" offering an unparalleled assortment of signature gifts, art, toys, furniture, sporting goods, fine jewelry and luxury apparel. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

This visit was all that I expected and more. It was a lovely experience staying there. Everything is beautiful and all of the staff were professional and nice. I went primarily for the bunker tour. The tour was disappointing, the hotel was amazing and far outweighed the disappointment with the tour. I plan to visit again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit! We are so glad to hear that you overall visit exceeded your expectations, and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

We were expecting an average meal due to the ice cream parlor feel however it was great! The salmon had a great crust and the steak was perfect. Don't leave without eating the ice cream!

north Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Just came back from a conference at the Greenbrier in West Virginia. What a fantastic location. The "Dorothy Draper" décor does not appeal to me, but it's different. I have to wonder why this fabulous hotel doesn't advertise in the Richmond, Raleigh and Charlotte markets. I would think that a bus tour would be a great idea from Raleigh and the triangle area that would provide for an overnight stay in the hotel, thus getting access to my favorite place, the Casino! The casino is the classiest casino I have ever been in... and non smokers... a miracle, NO SMOKING Allowed! There is a strict dress code for the casino, sport jacket, tie optional, but most people were in suits and ties and fancy dresses... very beautiful and have a champagne toast at 10pm each night with a "Casino waltz performed by the dancers. The people that work at this hotel are the nicest and friendliest I have ever met. The food is good, but very expensive throughout the resort. The Golfing was FANTASTIC too!
Rooms are "draper decorated" and comfortable with the cozy robes and slippers in the rooms, very quiet and peaceful.
Highly recommend!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 7700 floor in the West Virginia wing. It was hard to get to these rooms and took a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate you pointing out the Casino Club, a relatively new amenity added in 2009. Described as Monte Carlo meets Gone with the Wind, the Casino Club offers an elegant setting that revels in the warmth and charm of southern hospitality. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the Casino Club!
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Stayed for two nights as a Birthday present for my husband. We booked an intermediate King Room and could not have been happier. Check in was easy and the staff was very friendly. You are given welcome champagne during check-in. The room was clean and spacious. The bed was extremely comfortable. The decor was the classic Greenbrier style....colorful and warm....but not too busy. There was a nice little birthday card in the room upon arrival for my husband with a small box of chocolates....nice touch.

We had dinner in the main dining room and The Forum (Italian) - both were very good. The main dining room can be a little pricey - but the food, ambiance, and attentive staff are worth it. Also had the breakfast buffet in the main dining room which was excellent....everything you could want.

We enjoyed walking around the resort and the grounds - absolutely beautiful! We played shuffleboard, lounged by the outdoor infinity pool - where you are waited on poolside and can order drinks and lunch - it was very relaxing. I also booked a day of golf for my husband, and while I do not play, they allowed me to ride along with him....which again I thought was very nice (some places would not allow that). Overall a terrific trip, we are planning our next visit for Christmas.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. We are so happy that The Greenbrier was able to be a part of your husband's birthday celebration, and we look forward to seeing you again during the holidays!

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!