“Relaxing weekend” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Clearwater, Florida
“Relaxing weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

The resort was a relaxing escape from my work and allowed me to spend some quality time with my wife. I made several special requests when I made the reservation and everything was set up perfectly. Dining at the Twelve Oaks was an excellent dining experience. We golfed The Old White Course and was lucky to have Junior as our Caddy. His golf stories and sense of humor was refreshing. We will return next year.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
We are so glad to hear that you and your wife were able to enjoy a romantic and relaxing escape from work, and we look forward to welcoming you back for a return visit next year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
Landenberg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We go away about twice a year and for some odd reason my husband decided to take a long weekend off in late June. He suggested a grand hotel in West Virginia. I was skeptical. I googled "skeptical trips" and was led to Trip Advisor. At first glance, it looked like that vacation spot featured in the movie "Dirty Dancing". I wasn't sure if I was into a long weekend of arts and crafts---not to mention---a 5 hour drive from our home in PA. "What happened to the spa adventure in California you mumbled about the other day?" I quickly reminded him. NOTHING! Disappointed, but happy to be getting away, I erased CA from my mind (well, sort of) and prepped for West Virginia. WOW, you have to DRESS for dinner (For you youngins out there that means jacket and tie for men and a dress or GOWN for women). They have a pool overlooking the mountains. They have a casino. They have an underground bunker (in the event of a nuclear attack---read up on that yourselves). They have PLENTY of outdoor activities AND a SPA!!!!! LET'S DO IT! Packing was so much fun---2 dresses I hadn't worn but once and were tucked away in the back of my closest---check.....high heels and BLING---check....credit card---check.... I felt like princess Grace.
We left home at 500pm and arrived around midnight. When they said the Greenbriar was out in the middle of nowhere, they were not kidding. You turn off of a country road and drive down a long lane to this stunning Grand Hotel. We were greeted (yes, at midnight) by the MOST AMIABLE door man and escorted to the front desk. Green and yellow flowers surround you, harkening back to the old days when this was considered elegant and refined. The designer was Dorothy Draper, a legend in her time--around 1925-1960 (Guided tours of the place go on throughout the day). Initially I thought the décor was a bit tacky and overdone but my opinion quickly changed when I allowed myself to become part of it all.....

I could re-live more of this holiday---afternoon tea whilst a piano player played show tunes, listening and even dancing to live music while dining (dressed in our finest), swimming in the luxurious indoor pool after a 90 minute massage, The Greenbriar Classic starring Tiger Woods---but I think you should put on your Sunday clothes and try the place out for yourselves. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Greenbrier! Thank you for pointing out that we do have a dress code in the evenings as part of our 235-year history. Gentlemen are asked to wear a jacket and tie in the Main Dining Room for dinner and a jacket in the Casino Club after 7:00pm. Ladies are asked to wear a dress or evening suit. Casual dining venues as well as room service are available for those that prefer a more relaxed atmosphere. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Greenbrier!
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

They do everything right. A gorgeous venue with first class rooms and amenities and the worlds nicest staff. The mantra here is "What can we do to make your stay better". We ate in the Main Dining Room, The Steak House, The Cafe and Room Service. Each dining experience was delicious and professional. The only negative is that eventually you have to leave this perfect resort. We'll be back, and often!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay! We are so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy our iconic Main Dining Room (celebrating 100 years), Prime 44 West (a fine dining steakhouse honoring NBA legend Jerry West) and Café Carleton (a European-style cafe named for designer Carleton Varney). We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!
Norwich, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

A great traditional (1950's-1970's) year round golf/ski resort and hot spring spa. It is expensive and rather formal. Great sports facilities! It is hard to approach. You either have to fly to Roanoke and drive. Fly to DC and drive (nice 4hr drive down the Shendoah valley). Fly to Ohio and drive. You can also take the train as it remains on the CSX mainline (It was owned by the C&O RR). Cottages are the oldest rooms on the property and the best! Food is excellent. Consider pre-trip reservations. Be sure to take the historical tour of the resort and the bomb shelter tour (bomb shelter for Congress in case of nuclear war finished the week of the Cuban missle crisis).

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review! As you mention, there are several airports convenient to The Greenbrier: Greenbrier Valley Airport - LWB (15 minutes away in Lewisburg, WV), Roanoke Regional Airport - ROA (1.5 hours away in Roanoke, VA), and Yeager Airport - CRW (2 hours away in Charleston, WV). In addition, The Greenbrier is located less than 2 miles off of Interstate 64 and across the road from the White Sulphur Springs train station served by Amtrak. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!
Middletown, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Had a great time, service at the Hotel was great ! Infinity pool overlooking golf course was very relaxing. Flowers surrounding the hotel were in full bloom and really made for a few romantic walks outside the Hotel!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your romantic stay at The Greenbrier, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Part of the fun of visiting the GB is feeling like you are in another era, a more elegant time. Why do people insist on ignoring dress codes? You don't like it, you don't go. Saw ragged jeans and got to sit next to a sloppy girl in a football jersey. Yes, she probably (over) paid lots for the Jersey. But really, at breakfast in the Terrace Room?? I feel sorry for management because these people probably argue nastily that they pay to be there, and damned the dress code. As for all the reviews of the gaudy decor, that's part of the fun. Do your research if your sensibilities are so delicate.

Room Tip: Baths are incredibly tiny in lower priced rooms. You are paying for the whole experience, not just y...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at The Greenbrier! Thank you for pointing out that we do have a dress code as part of our 235-year history. Gentlemen are required to wear a jacket and tie in the Main Dining Room for dinner and a jacket in the Casino Club after 7:00pm. Dresses and evening suits are appropriate for women. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My parents use to go to the Greenbrier when I was little, so I have wanted to go for years. The grounds are really beautiful and some of the food was quite good. Room service also did a very good job. The décor is very interesting and makes everything seem low-end (pink, green, turquoise flower wallpaper and fabric everywhere), but you actually get use to it. Overall, we were just really disappointed. For the high prices, we expected more. It felt more like a motel stay than a resort. The business center did not fulfill an obligation to my husband. Our king bed was two twins pushed together without a good cover to make it a legit king. For afternoon tea, you wait in line for one hot tea and then cookies that seem like they are from a box. The housekeeper came in the room while I was in the shower (scared me!). When I asked her to please leave she argued with me (while I was wet in the shower)! My massage was bad, the hot water went cold twice in the spa shower and two of the staff were talking about another guest. On two different occasions we were forgotten or ignored by our restaurant server. The service was just not great. No one asked about our stay, opened doors or tried to be nice. Sadly, we will not be back. It's not bad, just not worth the money.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Vice President of Guest Relations at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit. Of course, there is no excuse that we can offer for the lapses in service that you experienced, but we assure you that is not how The Greenbrier has built a 235 year reputation of providing world class service. We had many chances to WOW you and missed. The fact that you left our resort and felt your stay was just OK is of course very disappointing to read. Our mission statement and commitment to our guests is that you will experience world class service with personalized gracious interactions. At The Greenbrier, the good becomes “extraordinary” and the great becomes “spectacular”. We are very sorry that we failed to live up to our traditional standards of excellence during your visit with us. If you should decide to honor us with a return visit, I would personally be honored to assist you.

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!