We go away about twice a year and for some odd reason my husband decided to take a long weekend off in late June. He suggested a grand hotel in West Virginia. I was skeptical. I googled "skeptical trips" and was led to Trip Advisor. At first glance, it looked like that vacation spot featured in the movie "Dirty Dancing". I wasn't sure if I was into a long weekend of arts and crafts---not to mention---a 5 hour drive from our home in PA. "What happened to the spa adventure in California you mumbled about the other day?" I quickly reminded him. NOTHING! Disappointed, but happy to be getting away, I erased CA from my mind (well, sort of) and prepped for West Virginia. WOW, you have to DRESS for dinner (For you youngins out there that means jacket and tie for men and a dress or GOWN for women). They have a pool overlooking the mountains. They have a casino. They have an underground bunker (in the event of a nuclear attack---read up on that yourselves). They have PLENTY of outdoor activities AND a SPA!!!!! LET'S DO IT! Packing was so much fun---2 dresses I hadn't worn but once and were tucked away in the back of my closest---check.....high heels and BLING---check....credit card---check.... I felt like princess Grace.
We left home at 500pm and arrived around midnight. When they said the Greenbriar was out in the middle of nowhere, they were not kidding. You turn off of a country road and drive down a long lane to this stunning Grand Hotel. We were greeted (yes, at midnight) by the MOST AMIABLE door man and escorted to the front desk. Green and yellow flowers surround you, harkening back to the old days when this was considered elegant and refined. The designer was Dorothy Draper, a legend in her time--around 1925-1960 (Guided tours of the place go on throughout the day). Initially I thought the décor was a bit tacky and overdone but my opinion quickly changed when I allowed myself to become part of it all.....
I could re-live more of this holiday---afternoon tea whilst a piano player played show tunes, listening and even dancing to live music while dining (dressed in our finest), swimming in the luxurious indoor pool after a 90 minute massage, The Greenbriar Classic starring Tiger Woods---but I think you should put on your Sunday clothes and try the place out for yourselves. You won't be disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located amid the breathtaking Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia, The Greenbrier is a National Historic Landmark and an award-winning resort that has been welcoming guests since 1778. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your The Greenbrier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Greenbrier Hotel White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Resort White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Wv