“Great Fall Trip” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Middletown, Ohio
“Great Fall Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Had a great time, service at the Hotel was great ! Infinity pool overlooking golf course was very relaxing. Flowers surrounding the hotel were in full bloom and really made for a few romantic walks outside the Hotel!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your romantic stay at The Greenbrier, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Part of the fun of visiting the GB is feeling like you are in another era, a more elegant time. Why do people insist on ignoring dress codes? You don't like it, you don't go. Saw ragged jeans and got to sit next to a sloppy girl in a football jersey. Yes, she probably (over) paid lots for the Jersey. But really, at breakfast in the Terrace Room?? I feel sorry for management because these people probably argue nastily that they pay to be there, and damned the dress code. As for all the reviews of the gaudy decor, that's part of the fun. Do your research if your sensibilities are so delicate.

Room Tip: Baths are incredibly tiny in lower priced rooms. You are paying for the whole experience, not just y...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at The Greenbrier! Thank you for pointing out that we do have a dress code as part of our 235-year history. Gentlemen are required to wear a jacket and tie in the Main Dining Room for dinner and a jacket in the Casino Club after 7:00pm. Dresses and evening suits are appropriate for women. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My parents use to go to the Greenbrier when I was little, so I have wanted to go for years. The grounds are really beautiful and some of the food was quite good. Room service also did a very good job. The décor is very interesting and makes everything seem low-end (pink, green, turquoise flower wallpaper and fabric everywhere), but you actually get use to it. Overall, we were just really disappointed. For the high prices, we expected more. It felt more like a motel stay than a resort. The business center did not fulfill an obligation to my husband. Our king bed was two twins pushed together without a good cover to make it a legit king. For afternoon tea, you wait in line for one hot tea and then cookies that seem like they are from a box. The housekeeper came in the room while I was in the shower (scared me!). When I asked her to please leave she argued with me (while I was wet in the shower)! My massage was bad, the hot water went cold twice in the spa shower and two of the staff were talking about another guest. On two different occasions we were forgotten or ignored by our restaurant server. The service was just not great. No one asked about our stay, opened doors or tried to be nice. Sadly, we will not be back. It's not bad, just not worth the money.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Vice President of Guest Relations at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit. Of course, there is no excuse that we can offer for the lapses in service that you experienced, but we assure you that is not how The Greenbrier has built a 235 year reputation of providing world class service. We had many chances to WOW you and missed. The fact that you left our resort and felt your stay was just OK is of course very disappointing to read. Our mission statement and commitment to our guests is that you will experience world class service with personalized gracious interactions. At The Greenbrier, the good becomes “extraordinary” and the great becomes “spectacular”. We are very sorry that we failed to live up to our traditional standards of excellence during your visit with us. If you should decide to honor us with a return visit, I would personally be honored to assist you.
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

The Greenbrier. Love the Greenbrier. I describe it like "staying at the White House," yet it's charming and comfortable. It's not inexpensive, but we plan for it and enjoy. For me, staying just two or three days here is better than a week anywhere else. Service, food, shops, spa, everything is top notch and consistent. The history of the resort also makes it special, and the mountain setting is stunning. I've never seen anything quite like the fabulous Dorothy Draper/Carleton Varney décor (have yet to go to the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, another one of his hotel designs). The mix of bright colors, elaborate draperies, carpets, and floral patterns is unique. Fans of minimalist décor would not find it appealing, but it is perfect for this special place and I would be disappointed if they changed a thing. The restaurants are excellent and the spa is outstanding. We've visited four times, twice at Christmas, which is spectacular, and are planning our fifth trip soon.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are a little small, so choose at least an intermediate room if there are two of y...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you taking the time to leave a review on your most recent visit - we love to hear from repeat guests! Christmas is indeed a magical time to stay at The Greenbrier, and this year we are excited to be able to celebrate "60 spectacular days of holiday cheer" so that guests have more time to enjoy the seasonal decor. We look forward to welcoming you back for your fifth visit soon!
charlotte
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

This resort manages to appeal to every age group while offering excellent accomodation, facilities and food. We went there for a four day weekend, loved the golf courses and the amenities. Made some super new friends. Could not say enough about the staff. Just a delightful experience in every way.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so glad to read that you had a delightful experience during your recent stay. The Greenbrier take great pride in our staff and the exceptional customer service that they provide. We look forward to your next visit!
Holden, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

The golf courses are beautiful, rooms just ok, service nearly non-existent, forget about hospitality. In wondering why our experience was so below expectations, I can only surmise all their efforts went into all the private events in the various ballrooms. The two highest-priced dining rooms were the worst experiences. Long waits for initial drink orders, long wait for meals. At Breakfast in the Main Dining room, again service was lacking. We waited nearly 20 min. just for the waiter to appear (empty-handed/ no coffee) then another 15 for coffee to arrive, then at least 10 min. for the milk. A dinner reservation another dining room seemed to have been lost and service was deplorable. For a resort activity off-site, we had to wait thirty minutes for the shuttle to show up, then it never came back for the return to the resort. Upon completing the 'after-visit' survey, having noted these issues, I received an apology that states, 'The staff is reminded every day that, "Guests don't care how much you know until they know how much you care..." Really? The best inspirational words you can come up with start with "Guests don't care..."? And does it make any sense? One thing that does make sense is that for the first time ever AAA downgraded their rating. The apology I received was as weak as the hospitality and service experienced.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
TheGreenbrier, Vice President of Guest Relations at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for your review and completing our survey concerning your recent stay with us. Thank you for commenting that you received a response to your survey within such a short period of time. Again we apologize for your disappointment and as stated we would welcome the oppurtunity to speak with you. I have been assured that the photo you requested is on its way to you. Thank you for your kind word’s concerning your golf experience.
Rome, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have stayed at some of the finest hotels and resorts throughout the world and this is the first time I have ever written an online review. This was my first visit to the GB. My special "concierge level" room was more than $800 per night including the resort fee and parking. The hotel and grounds are lovely and the history is special. Arrival was very difficult and lengthy. Waiting in line for a valet, bellman and then to check in. It was all very unorganized, chaotic and understaffed. Then in the room, the HVAC and plumbing were outdated. The HVAC system made so much noise that were up most of the night and the tub would barely drain. Of course old hotels generally have smaller bathrooms but for an $800 room, the bathroom was tiny. I don't think I have ever had a tub shower in an $800 room. The hospitality room that came with the "concierge level" was on a different floor in a separate wing and very hard to get to down two long halls an elevator and two heavy key coded doors. I have never stayed in a "club/concierge level" room that did not have the hospitality on the same floor in the same area. My wife and I were impressed when before our stay we were contacted to see what "beverage of choice" we wanted in the hospitality room. We gave them my favorite Vodka and my wife gave them her wine. Neither were available. On one occasion we went 15 minutes before the food was too be taken down only to find it already gone...all dumped in a bus tray. For our dinner in the main dining room, the waiter had an attitude, it took 30 minutes to place our order and the food was average at best. Leaving was again chaotic and unorganized. It took 30 minutes to get our car. The Valet blamed the bell staff and the bell staff blamed the valet. I did what I always do by not complaining tipping as normal and taking it all in stride because that is how I am wired. As I said before, I have never written an online review in my life and needed to get this off my chest.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit. Of course, there is no excuse that we can offer for the lapses in service that you experienced, but we assure you that is not how The Greenbrier has built a 235 year reputation of providing world class service. We had many chances to WOW you and missed them all. The Windsor Club opened at The Greenbrier in the summer of 2011. Since that time it has grown in popularity. It is true that in order to keep the historic footprint of The Greenbrier 10 of the 25 Windsor Club Rooms are on the second floor of the historic Virginia Wing located directly above the Virginia Room, which serves as the Club Room. This winter we are replacing the entire heating and cooling system in the Virginia Wing, which includes all of the Windsor Club rooms. The Greenbrier is celebrating her 100th birthday this October. We are constantly improving her facilities. Should you wish to discuss your stay with us, simply contact The Greenbrier and ask for my office, I would be honored to speak with you.

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!