“I am very well travelled. Never given a 5 rating before.....CONGRATS!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Greenbrier

Save Saved
You added The Greenbrier to your Saves list
The Greenbrier
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
“I am very well travelled. Never given a 5 rating before.....CONGRATS!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

We have travelled for the last six months seeing America. We have stayed at most of the top hotels. None, I repeat none, are of the caliber of this one. The grounds, lodge, and all other amenities and activities are sensational. However, you can get most of these and even more at other places. What you can't get is....wait for it....hear it comes....a level of friendliness and service beyond excellent. Having been an Executive for one of the largest cooperations in the world it amazes me how they get all employees to be on the same page of giving great friendly service. I met the General Manager- Jack Olsham while there. This guy gets it!!! He personally helped get me out of an anniversary jam with the Mrs. Next, "Bernie" at the Forum knocked the ball out of the park with his personal service. Please take my humble advice and make this your next destination. I guarantee you that it will give you wonderful memories for life. I drove backwards on my trip 9 hours to stay here. Man, am I glad I did. My personal best to the entire Greenbriar team for knowing what real service is like.

• Stayed October 2013
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
We are incredibly honored to read your review of The Greenbrier! We take great pride in our staff and the exceptional customer service that they provide guests, and we are so happy to read that they were able to make your stay so memorable! We hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again at The Greenbrier on your trip to West Virginia.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

The beef was supposed to be prime meat, but we found our selection to be more on the choice side. Lots of fat and grisly. The side dishes were exceptional though.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

The food was only mediocre in this restaurant. Desserts were quite large, one dessert was sufficient for four.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

The Greenbriar is more than a resort , it is a part of American history and that history has been well preserved by their own outstanding resident historian Dr Robert Conte . Do not miss his free tours . I have spent 45 years traveling the world and wherever I go I always want a guided tour so that I can more appreciate what I am seeing and where I am . His tour could NOT be any better . This historic resort springs to life as a result of his narratives .

We spent extra money and stayed in one of the cottages on Spring Row . We got what we paid for ! It was spacious and decorated in the traditional style one would expect , it had 2 bathrooms , a charming porch where sat and watched the world go by and a wood burning fireplace just ready for a match !

Much is made of this resort's decor and I can assure you there is nothing like it anywhere in the world . The main lobby and the many common rooms are amazing . Having a drink in the new bar off the lobby which makes one feel like royalty . The chandelier in the bar was used in the film "Gone with the Wind" as Dr Conte will explain .

For activities we chose golf , a few Spa treatments , a croquet clinic ( the real game, as we learned, is quite challenging and fun ) our teacher Josh was so good at coaching us we wanted to take him home ! We also did skeet shooting or rather we reserved the time for it but they were unable to accommodate us when we arrived so we tried Clay shooting instead . But it was much too difficult for our ability and our shotgun. This was the only disappointing part of our stay . They should not encourage beginners to pay for an activity above their skill set . And we should have said no thanks .

The food was delicious in every restaurant we tried and as everyone seems to mention the servers and staff are terrific . The resort is located away from any large city so the staff is mostly local people with a soothing southern charm .

Do not be concerned about the distance to drive to get to the Greenbriar as the roads are excellent and the scenery is spectacular . I see the drive as the start of the BIG UNWIND that occurs when you stay at the Greenbriar. Enjoy it ! You will be away driving away from pollution , urban blight and noise into God's country " Almost Heaven " West Virginia ( under 10 miles across the Virginia border )

There are so many activities to try so check out the web site and select what appeals to you . Finally my husband took the Off Road Driving Course which is pricey ( there and everywhere else ) and he had the time of his life with his instructor Pepper .

Room Tip: Go for the Cottages if possible .
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such an in-depth review of your stay! We especially like your suggestion to visit The Greenbrier's website before visiting. There is a wealth of information on our 710 guest rooms, 55+ activities, 14 dining venues, executive healthcare and more to help you plan your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Greenbrier!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

No one in front of us and no one behind us. Perfect time of the year to golf. Greens were exceptional and weather was perfect.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

What a beautiful, all encompassing resort, something for everyone. I had visited the Greenbrier in 1990 for a week of French cooking, and recalled the remarkable professionalism by each and everyone of the staff. I wasn't disappointed during this trip, the staff are very eager to please their guests. The Bunker hadn't been revealed until 1992, so it was a treat to tour the underground facility. I was surprised to learn that the Bunker kitchen was the facility used for our French cooking classes.

The food is a bit pricey for the quality, and the drinks are quite pricey. But other than that, it's the perfect get-away.

Room Tip: I can't imagine there being any bad choices. The hotel is situated far enough from the two lane...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so glad to hear that you were able to visit us again at The Greenbrier after 20 years! In addition to The Bunker, we are also excited to now offer guests the Casino Club, Oakhurst Links, Greenbrier Avenue and more! We hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back for a third visit!
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

The good:

Nice staff and good food. Large facility with shopping, historical items, beautiful landscape, golf course, etc. Very clean, well maintained. Programs for everyone, especially the elderly. Nice place to get away for a few days. A nice place to just walk around the property and enjoy the beautiful weather, etc. Within an hour from many historical areas in WV and V.

The not as good:

After one day, I was bored. Some nice programs for the family, but many were for the retirement aged visitor. Knitting classes? Really? In our 50's - we were amongst the youngest after conference visitors left.

Sadly, they pride themselves on their Dorothy Draper & Co decor (Laura Ashley meets Waverly). I wonder if they realize just how tired we felt looking at the old, faded decor? Busy, busy. Matchy, matchy. Large flowers/bows. I'm not into modern decor or extremely simple decor, but I was ready to run after just one day. It was overwhelming and obnoxious.

It's hard to place this hotel into any one category. It's NOT a 4 star hotel in the traditional sense. Too outdated and geared towards retirement age. And the cost was ridiculous for what you actually get. In fact, we've paid less for 5 star hotels throughout Britain and Europe. Yet, it isn't an average hotel, either. I just wish the inside decor matched the beauty of the external decor. Just walking outside through the grounds is pure peace.

However....!

However, saying all that...I would not have passed up our time there or refuse to go back. It was a very comfortable and safe place with a great staff. I could walk around the grounds all day on a cool, fall afternoon. In fact, once we are retired, this may become a favorite place...if the price becomes more reasonable.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so happy to hear that you would not have passed up your time at The Greenbrier despite your reservations about the decor. The Greenbrier is proud to offer 55+ activities ranging from falconry to horseback riding and off-road driving to kayaking (no knitting classes), and younger guests are often out and about enjoying them on our 10,000-acre property. Many families also choose to stay in our spacious cottages rather than in a hotel room, giving the perception that there are no young people. We hope that in the years to come, The Greenbrier does become a favorite place for you!

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!