This was a business trip for my husband and a pleasure trip for me! His organization chose The Greenbrier for this years convention! It was the best choice to celebrate the organizations 50th anniversary. The Greenbrier is the star that outshines The Homestead, The Carolina, and Nemacolin. Approaching the hotel itself is breathtaking! It is huge, all white against the Allegheny mountains, and surrounded by beautiful manicured lawns and well-cared for flower gardens. Spectacular! Inside is like a step back to the era of "high society" with Dorothy Draper's classic designs throughout. They are changing the wall paper as the hotel is being restored back to it's original grandeur. I befriended a wall-paper hanger working in the hallway outside of our room and asked if I could have a scrap of the Dorothy Drape design wall-paper he was hanging. He did one better and gave me a nice size piece that I will frame and hang in my home. We were there for 5 days and I am sure we missed something. There is so much to see and do! Of course Golf is the big draw but there is something for everyone like horse-back riding, carriage rides, bowling, the indoor and outdoor pools, tennis courts, the movie theatre, the Casino, the Spa (my favorite), about 40 shops, 4 upscale restaurants and 6 or 7 not so formal dining, afternoon tea....and more. There were many families with young children and teens enjoying this hotel! It's pricey but if it's in their budget, there was plenty for them to do.
Most important was our room. It was spotless, roomy, and cozy! The king bed was so very comfortable, great mattress, soft, clean, comforters and pillows (no need for me to bring in our own pillows as I always do), terry robes and slippers for use during your stay, large walk-in closet, and turndown service. Bathroom was immaculate! All service people were extremely friendly, courteous, and helpful. Each morning an activity flier is slide under the door....it lists the activities, times, and locations, offered for that day.....too many to mention here! If you get bored it's your fault!
The only incident encountered was with check-in. Our assigned room was occupied. We unlocked the door to find open luggage around the room fortunately the occupants were not there. The desk apologized and reassigned us. After dinner we returned to our room to find a nice bottle of wine on ice waiting for us but no note. Housekeeping said it was for us but did not know anything other than that. We assumed it was from hotel managment over the room mix-up. A short note would have been nice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located amid the breathtaking Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia, The Greenbrier is a National Historic Landmark and an award-winning resort that has been welcoming guests since 1778. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your The Greenbrier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Greenbrier Hotel White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Resort White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Wv