“The Grand Dame! Spectacular!” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
The Greenbrier
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Fayetteville, North Carolina
“The Grand Dame! Spectacular!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was a business trip for my husband and a pleasure trip for me! His organization chose The Greenbrier for this years convention! It was the best choice to celebrate the organizations 50th anniversary. The Greenbrier is the star that outshines The Homestead, The Carolina, and Nemacolin. Approaching the hotel itself is breathtaking! It is huge, all white against the Allegheny mountains, and surrounded by beautiful manicured lawns and well-cared for flower gardens. Spectacular! Inside is like a step back to the era of "high society" with Dorothy Draper's classic designs throughout. They are changing the wall paper as the hotel is being restored back to it's original grandeur. I befriended a wall-paper hanger working in the hallway outside of our room and asked if I could have a scrap of the Dorothy Drape design wall-paper he was hanging. He did one better and gave me a nice size piece that I will frame and hang in my home. We were there for 5 days and I am sure we missed something. There is so much to see and do! Of course Golf is the big draw but there is something for everyone like horse-back riding, carriage rides, bowling, the indoor and outdoor pools, tennis courts, the movie theatre, the Casino, the Spa (my favorite), about 40 shops, 4 upscale restaurants and 6 or 7 not so formal dining, afternoon tea....and more. There were many families with young children and teens enjoying this hotel! It's pricey but if it's in their budget, there was plenty for them to do.
Most important was our room. It was spotless, roomy, and cozy! The king bed was so very comfortable, great mattress, soft, clean, comforters and pillows (no need for me to bring in our own pillows as I always do), terry robes and slippers for use during your stay, large walk-in closet, and turndown service. Bathroom was immaculate! All service people were extremely friendly, courteous, and helpful. Each morning an activity flier is slide under the door....it lists the activities, times, and locations, offered for that day.....too many to mention here! If you get bored it's your fault!
The only incident encountered was with check-in. Our assigned room was occupied. We unlocked the door to find open luggage around the room fortunately the occupants were not there. The desk apologized and reassigned us. After dinner we returned to our room to find a nice bottle of wine on ice waiting for us but no note. Housekeeping said it was for us but did not know anything other than that. We assumed it was from hotel managment over the room mix-up. A short note would have been nice.

Room Tip: King rooms are spacious. But desk with mirror in front of air conditioner deemed it useless....cold...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an in-depth review of your recent visit! The Greenbrier features Dorothy Draper's distinctive style of vibrant colors, floral patterns and bold contrasts throughout the property, and we are happy to hear that you have a nice square of custom wallpaper as a souvenir. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!

1,379 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We enjoyed another wonderful few days at this historic resort. Truly pampered by the housekeeping staff whom freshen your room at least twice a day. Enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Sam Snead's.
We also splurged and ordered room service one night. It was extremely timely, hot and well-presented. Carlton Cafe is a good place to get a quick breakfast. The Forum is also very good. Prices are high, it's true. But the service is impeccable.
We stay in the clinic wing where the rooms are absolutely huge. Love that you can control air conditioning or open your windows.
The grounds are, as always, lovely. We enjoyed the Valley View Trail one morning, but opted out of the wooded trails since it had been so wet before.
Also, definitely take the bunker tour and visit the casino!

Room Tip: Rooms in the clinic wing are the largest.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to write your tips for future guests to The Greenbrier! The West Virginia Wing was originally added to the property in the 1950s to conceal the simultaneous construction beneath it of The Bunker, a top secret U.S. government fallout shelter built for Congress. Today, the West Virginia Wing is home to The Greenbrier Clinic (offering executive health as well as laser & aesthetic services), guests rooms, meeting rooms and the declassified Bunker (open for tours). We look forward to welcoming you back to The Greenbrier on your next visit!
Yardley Pa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

First let me say what kind of person I am that way u would no if your opinion would be the same, I love people, action, fun, laughter. I did not feel comfortable at the Greenbrier, to get in gate u must be on list, u have to show your key for everything, tea time, casino, pool, bowling, it was a little over board, dress code was ridicules, the guest were very unfriendly, it was so boring for me I had my clothes pack and ready to go at 10:00am on the day we were leaving, I have never done that before, never, I usually ask if I can get a late chk out, because I always have a great time no matter were I am, please Greenbrier call me I have so many great ideas, 1= pool, again beautiful, but no hot tub, really? 1 cabana, stuffy boring, how about a steel drummer playing and one side of the pool, a ledge only 1ft deep but 10feet wide, were everybody can lay, order drinks, listen to music. 2= stores, how about just one store people can shop in, like Hollister or Bebe, Michael Kors, I did not see one person in any store at any time, craft shops= get people to make things on the spot its very entertaining, glass blowing, artist panting pictures, jewelry making, casino= A LIVE BAND, hello, free drinks would be nice to, that always makes people happy,some kind of shows, comedian, magic, what ever, just something to do. restaurants= good food but what is this surcharge added, breakfast 80.00, surcharge 16.00, tip all ready added 16.00, but a space for additional tip supplied, for a total of 112.00, sorry but I already paid 39.00 resort fee per day and 20.00 parking, I guess this place is really for rich, quiet, none socializing, lay around and do nothing, types. Sorry the place was beautiful, big beautiful empty rooms, it wasn't the hotel, its was me, not my type of hotel. added note, I went to bedford springs this summer, loved it awesome, cant wait to go back, Skytop lodge= incredible, a must go, all inclusive !!! and Im the biggest food cridic ever, the food was incredible and if u want to do west Virginia, I take about 20 people every year and show them the best of the best, from pontooning on summersvilles lake and jumping off cliffs, white water rafting the new river gorge, horse back riding to the top of seneca rocks, I guess I have to much energy for Greenbrier

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on your visit and make suggestions. The Greenbrier offers 55+ activities on our 10,000-acre playground ranging from falconry and horseback riding to kayaking and off-road driving. We also have a regular schedule of live music in the Casino Club, karaoke in JJ's sports lounge, culinary demonstrations and art workshops (including glass-blowing). We hope that you will visit us again to discover all that we have to offer!
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We ate there the day before labor day. The service was good and the food was excellent. The room décor was beautiful and light. The deserts looked great but we decided to skip. I had a great cappuccino.

Hattiesburg, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We visited the Greenbrier over the Labor Day weekend. The hotel picked us up and dropped us off in a private car from the nearby airport. The spa, pool and restaurants were great! The staff was friendly and helpful. The food at the restaurants was great!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for letting us know about your romantic getaway over Labor Day Weekend! As you mentioned in your review, The Greenbrier is conveniently located just 15 minutes from the Greenbrier Valley Airport (LWB). In addition, Amtrak service is also available to White Sulphur Springs (WSS), and the train stop is just across the street from the resort. We hope to welcome you back to The Greenbrier soon for another romantic getaway!
Marietta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have always wanted to stay at this hotel all my life so my expectations were very high. The hotel, grounds and rest. exceeded my expectations. It is difficult to get too (off the beaten track) but worth the time and effort. The staff was very attentive and the bunker tour was amazing

Room Tip: Ask if they have any specials but expect a smaller room than normal
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! As you pointed out, the Bunker is a unique part of The Greenbrier's history. Once a top secret relocation facility for Congress, the declassified Bunker is now open to the public for tours. We are incredibly pleased to hear that your visit exceeded your expectations, and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Greenbrier!
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were able to get a seat in 15 minutes during a busy time. The fried chicken was outstanding and the service was great.

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!