“Family getaway” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
NJ
“Family getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Recently visited Greenbrier for the 1st time (family of 5 + a boyfriend) and were very pleased to find it surpassed our high expectations.

There was so much to do at the resort! Our kids (18 - 23) took advantage of all that was available at the resort, including visiting both pools, tennis, pool room and bowling. We also had a great time on our Paint Ball excursion. The highlight of the outdoor activities was the UTV excursion. We returned to the hotel covered in mud and had a great time!

My wife and daughter really enjoyed a Spa visit and the shopping at the hotel.

The restaurants we're all very good and although we're not big gamblers, we enjoyed visiting the Casino (even won $100).

We did some hiking and the scenery made for some great pictures.

We had a presidential suite, which we were pleasantly surprised to find included 3 seperate rooms, so had plenty of room for our party of 6.

My daughter sprained her ankle playing tennis and the staff went out of their way in helping get treatment for my daugter.

Although certainly not family friendly on the budget, but we knew this going in.

All in all it made for some great family memories!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experiences! As you highlighted in your review, The Greenbrier offers families over 55+ activities ranging from tennis (indoor/outdoor) and bowling to paintball and off-road driving. We look forward to welcoming your family back to America's Resort for even more great family memories!

1,402 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I went to The Greenbrier as part of a conference several weeks ago. My parents absolutely adored this place and with my mom passing away unexpectedly this spring, I was looking forward to experiencing it for myself. What an unbelievable disappointment.

I was originally in a cottage but needed to change rooms for one night. I was moved to the Windsor Club which is supposed to be their premier rooms. First, they lost my luggag transferring rooms and made me late for a dinner at the conference, then the room's air conditioner was not working properly, the gas fireplace in it didn't work, the room smelled and there was mold in the shower and wallpaper peeling off the walls. When I complained I was told the manager would call m the next morning. He apologized for my experience and promised to have a free night voucher sent to me to make up for things. Well, even that was botched as it has now been two weeks and nothing has arrived.

I have never seen such poor quality at what is a top tier resort. From transferring rooms (I tipped the bellman $20 to make sure the bags were transferred and was assured by the front desk they would be to the reaction of the night manager (not much he could do I needed to talk to the manager in the morning) each piece of this experience was sub par. I expect more from a mid tier resort, yet alone one that bills itself as "America's Resort". Save your money and go elsewhere if you want a top notch experience with quality service.

Room Tip: Get a cottage. The main hotels is extremely dated and the rooms poorly maintained. The air conditi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Auburn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

This place is truly jaw dropping! Stunningly beautiful white building with breathtaking landscaping greets you as you drive in. Marcus brought our luggage to our room and was very helpful and friendly. While staying here we toured the historic "Bunker". It was interesting, but definitely worth just a one time visit. The friendliest people at this hotel are the housekeeping staff. Never met one that didn't go out of their way to speak to us. One in particular was Brenda (working on the 6th floor). Special touches do matter to the guests...thanks Brenda! You are a joy!!

• Stayed August 2013
Auburn, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Almost every employee I ran into at this facility was extremely friendly...especially the housekeepers. The only exception were the bartenders at the casino bar.

We took the bunker tour, since it was such a big part of our nation's history. I thought it was interesting, but I'm not sure I would drive here specifically for the tour.

Caution, if you have a flower phobia, do not stay at this hotel!

• Stayed August 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Possibly ok for golfers and families. Very bad for vegans. We had to drive 10miles to Lewisburg to eat. Stylistically a throwback to another era. I would never come back or recommend.
We were quoted one price online and confirmed and when we checked in the price for the room slid up from 359/night to 414/night. When we brought this to their attention we were told it was the resort fee that made the price go up. Which was not represented online or in our confirmation email. We solved this problem by staying one less night than planned.

bethany beach, de.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed on Tuesday, Wed and Thur on a mid-week "Celebration" special rate. Resort fee, $30 per day plus tax, is included in the Celebration rate deal. We stayed on 5th floor front facing room with great view. Everything about the resort is exceptional, but you will pay for it. Everything is expensive. Example, dinner in main dining room for two, with three total drinks, no appetizer, one desert, with tip $175. West44 even more expensive. Sam Sneads at the golf clubhouse was not quite as much, and had a great view of the golf course. All waiters and waitresses are very good. Park on car and save $20 per night over valet parking cost, especially if you're staying put. Great world class casino, jacket required after 7pm. Superior room was expansive with large walk-in closet and 1 1/2 bath, which was nice. Wife did spa 80 min $220 , plus $40 tip, ouch! Also did horseback riding. I played golf on Meadows course $150, the lesser of the three available courses. It was very nice. Expensive retail shops abound. My wife liked the "Bunker tour", I did not, especially for $30 a head. Nothing really to see except the one room setup for Congress, if needed. The rest is open space. My wife just liked the history story line. All in all, this place has a lot to do, even for kids.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor , 5 or 6, front facing. A superior room is large and had one and a half baths.
maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This was our first visit and we stayed 3 nights toward the end of August. Kids were back in school so it was not crowded. We thought all the decor was fresh and looked newly updated. Our room was clean, housekeeping was perfect and friendly and consistant. All staff we interacted with throughout the resort were delightful, professional and seemed to take pride in the resort. Our food server, Esther, at the Forum restaurant was suburb. I
can't say enough complimentary things about her. She was a real professional. (She could rival anyone at the Plaza in NYC!!!) In contrast, our meal in the Main Dining room was disappointing. We had read about the white glove formal dining service and found it to be nonexistant. There was no formal service. We had reservations well in advance and we were well dressed, but we were first seated almost in the entry, then when I requested another table we were moved next to a column in an aisle with heavy traffic. The dining was not busy or crowded so we couldn't understand being in such an undesriable location when there were empty tables. We waited quite awhile before a waiter came to acknowledge us and then the meal flew by in barely an hour. We ordered drinks, appetizer, entree, dessert, and coffee. Way too fast for fine dining...We really did not enjoy our first night's meal. We had the salmon with herb sauce and the grouper. The portions were very large but neither of us enjoyed the sauces. We ended up cancelling the reservation for the following evening when we left. I was expecting something more elegant less "casual" in service. We did enjoy our food and service at the pool and at Slammin Sammie. The wait staff both places for lunch service were impeccable. More formal than the main dining room!!! We did the Falcon experience and it was well worth the fee. One of those "priceless" moments". (We compared to swimming with the dolphins). The landscaping was georgous everywhere. We didn't win anything at the Casino but it was wonderful to have it smoke free! We enjoyed room service each morning for breakfast and I would recommend it!
I would agree with another reviewer, it is Disney for adults!!! Lots for kids and families as well...

Room Tip: We enjoyed the north side facing the mountains. It had a view of the back lawn and patios off of the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!