“Very Good But....” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Ramona, California, United States
“Very Good But....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

All and all I have had a very good stay at the Greenbrier, if anybody who works there is reading this I am offering some constructive criticism. We paid for a Garden Sweet, and our friends we went with also did, our Garden Sweet was in the Old Wing of the Hotel and they had there's in the newer wing, There's was not only bigger, but had 3 bathrooms compared to our one tiny bathroom. We ended up getting some money off, but I would hope that the Garden Sweets in the oldest wing should be called something else and also cost less than the ones in the newer wings, because while it was still a nice room, it wasn't near as big as the Sweet our friends were given. (We did get some of our money back when we complained, but I'm sure people have stayed in our room with no idea that there were other Garden Sweets that were much better than what they got and paid for the exact same thing) I though the restaurants were great, I got a great facial and the indoor swimming pool was great because it still had a deep end which you don't see in many swimming pools anymore, and it was in general probably the best hotel I have ever stayed at.

Room Tip: If you get a Garden sweet and you are given one in the old wing, demand that it be in the new wing...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
Chester, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

While attening the PGA Greenbrier Classic I returned to Drapers for lunch. Originally visited Draper over Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed the decorations and a girls luncheon while there and did a review highlighting the Oakmonter dessert. While this has been deleted from their menu I can say the banana split was a wonderful choice for us. My husband enjoyed the fried green tomato sandwich and I the crabcake. Both were delish then we decided to share a banana split. It was wonderful but let me suggest you have at least 3 hungry people to eat all of it. It is a monster. We did return at the end if the tournament and had only an appetizer followed by another banana split and still could not finish it. Let me say my husband is an ice cream expert and felt this was a authentic dessert. For the money it is well worth it. Try Drapers, you will love it for sure. Loved their peach tea, served sugarless or with simple syrup. I'm already looking forward to a return visit as is my husband. Yum !

• Stayed July 2013
West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

The Greenbrier is the perfect "escape" get-a-way place. Every part of it is so beautiful and peaceful that it's hard to take it all in. Every where you look you notice another gorgeous chandelier or painting - there is so much attention to detail in every part of the hotel. The grounds are easy to traverse and are very well kept.
I am so proud to have such a wonderful resort in West Virginia and look forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: We have stayed in different parts of the hotel and have always been pleased with our room!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Did not eat here but had shakes and ice cream. Had chocolate and vanilla and both were equally good.

florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

From the minute we pulled up till departing it was wonderful. A piece of paradise. We stayed in a cottage and it was lovely. The housekeeping was wonderful. I wish I knew her name but the housekeeper was so nice and cleaned the cottage like it was her own. So nice to sit outside with your coffee and newspaper in the morning. From restaurants to shops everyone was very pleasant and just made the trip great without realizing it. My son loved the fly fishing, clay shooting, bunker tour, falcons, horses and canoeing. There was just so much to do and not enough time. Even leaving at the airport everyone is just so nice. First time and we will certainly be back. Left a few days before Classic but will be back next year.

Room Tip: Cottages are perfect if you like to sit outside.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Garden City Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

To be honest, we picked this restaurant as an alternative to the more expensive restaurants at The Greenbrier without having to go off the resort for dinner. And we were not disappointed. The food was very good and the service was outstanding. We would definitely go back when staying at The Greenbrier.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Garden City Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I cannot say enough about the attention and "desire to please" that I was shown by the senior resort manager, Mr. Mickey.

We are not "regular" visitors to The Greenbrier. This was our first visit to celebrate a special occasion; but Mr. Mickey took time out of his busy schedule (the day of a federal judge convention with Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts as the speaker) and the week before the Greenbrier Classic golf tournament. Even with what had to be a hectic schedule, Mr. Mickey took time to listen and generously correct a concern which I had.

The grounds and building are beautiful and the staff were all very friendly - from the waitstaff, the housekeeping staff, the front desk, etc., to Mr. Mickey.

The bunker tour was very interesting and definitely worth doing while visiting there.

Our breakfasts in the dining room and dinners at Drapers were all delicious.

We had a very nice and relaxing time there. Thanks for making us feel special!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room with a nice view of the grounds!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!