“Exceptional” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
New York
“Exceptional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This hotel is unlike any other in the country. The closest resort I can think of is Sea Island in terms of opulence, but nothing has the Greenbrier's history or grandeur. The common areas of the hotel are exceptional. Although the resort has 3 golf courses, Its not even primarily a golf resort. Most of the guests I met there didn't even play the game. If you are lucky enough to come when there are no corporate conventions, you will find a very nice, well-heeled family crowd, most of whom have been coming here for years.

The rooms (94/100): Stayed at a 1BR Spring Row "cottage". I also saw the standard hotel rooms. While the rooms are very nice, we found the extra $100 per night for the cottage was absolutely worth it. Fabulous suite, very large, tastefully done. Both rooms are good sized with the LR having a full sofabed, 2 large easy chairs, refrigerator, bar and sink. Both rooms had TVs. Bathroom had tub and shower. Also, these room are midway between the "Big House" and the sports area (golf, tennis and swimming pool). Both directions are maybe a 100 yard walk. Perfect. This room probably has not been "modernized" in at least 15 years. I know for some this may be a negative, but to us it didn't matter - it was great.

Common areas: (95/100): Truthfully, I am not a fan of the exterior architecture of the hotel. It is so large and imposing, it seems almost institutional. But the interior of the lobby, the restaurants, the bars, and especially the meeting rooms are truly awesome. Its hard to describe, you feel like you are staying in a part of American culture.

Restaurants (85/100): Excellent food in all of the restaurants (we tried most of them). Each is totally different, and there are plenty to suit your mood, your crowd and your budget. I downgraded the score a bit only because the prices at the Main restaurant and JJ's Steakhouse are close to prohibitive. Don't worry about the dress code. Its not a big deal anywhere except the aforementioned places. I found it very appropriate to each room. If you really have that much of a problem wearing a tie or even a jacket, you are probably looking at the wrong resort.

Service: (92/100): Very good. Everyone was so nice, but never intrusive. There is a 20% tip added to everything, but that only meant that you never had to worry about tips. Nobody ever expected anything extra and it didn't mean anything, just sign. Our only mixed experience was the check-in. There were huge crowds waiting to get in and out the day we got there. The room wasn't ready till 4 (can't complain) and even then they never called us as they said they would (can complain).

Golf (70/100): We came largely for the golf, but we didn't realize that because of the upcoming PGA Tour event, only one course would be open (the Greenbrier course), and part of the 3rd course (the Meadows). These are fine courses, but nothing to travel across multiple states for. Also, they are mispriced. $250 per person for a resort guest to play at the Greenbrier course? Harsh. Management needs to come up with some better golf packages. I was also annoyed that despite full research into the website and after speaking to a reservation agent about our upcoming trip - specifically about golf, it was nowhere mentioned that only 1 course would be open.

To compensate, 2 of the 3 days here we played at the Cascades course at the Homestead - 45 minutes away. Spectacular. If you have an appreciation for golf design and a history of the game, the Cascades course is outstanding. (We also checked out the Homestead hotel. Very nice, but the Greenbrier is superior).

Spa "A". My wife, who (unfortunately) is a connoisseur, says the 5 diamond spa was one of the best. She recommended the spring water treatment, whatever that is.

Conclusion: We loved our long weekend here, and we were so happy we picked the Greenbrier. Is it expensive? Absolutely, but you really get so much for what you pay for. Fabulous place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I have been visiting the Greenbrier each year since 2010. We spent our "mini-moon" there following our wedding (our honeymoon was taken to South America over the holidays that same year). We've returned each year to celebrate our anniversary.

The Greenbrier is one of America's marvels. Its pristine grounds met with the decor in "Old White" is one of my favorite locales in all of the world. It's charming, dainty, grand, and historic all in one.

My husband enjoys golfing each year (my golf game is too inconsistent to justify the fee) while I look forward to my annual Greenbrier spa experience. Don't miss the steam room and other treatments where you take in the world renowned spring water. I get a massage each year by masseuse Lori. She's excellent and has the calmest, softest voice as to not interrupt your treatment. I enjoy the spring water and other munchies enjoyed after my treatment in the relaxation room, which is bright and sunny with floor to ceiling windows.

Over the years, we have concluded that we prefer the Main Dining Room experience best at brunch - the buffet offerings are endless and fabulous! Instead of a stuffy evening meal in the MDR, we like Prime 44 if we want to have the traditional upscale steakhouse experience (the tuna starter is the best I've ever had, the Caesar made tableside is a must-have) or one of the other dinner venues like The Forum, In-Fusion, or Draper's. We have not ever ventured down to Sam Snead's for dinner. Instead, we enjoy having a late afternoon beverage and house-made vinegar chips with bleu cheese dip in the golf club's "Slammin' Sammie's" overlooking the 18th hole with gorgeous views of the course and mountains. Whenever I see folks heading to Sam Snead's for dinner, it is at 6PM when we're finishing up our afternoon activities and they are taking the shuttle...

We've taken in the gorgeous infinity pool and hikes around the property. Awesome experiences. The views on the hikes provide wondrous views.

The Mint Julep was invented at the Greebrier. I suggest having one at the Parlor Bar before dinner.

I'm glad the Greenbrier invested in the Casino. It's a beautiful space and Twelve Oaks (the "Kentucky bar") is a fun spot for post-dinner cocktails.

We've met great people vacationing at the Greenbrier over the years - young couples with children, couples on a romantic getaway, retirees - all find pleasure and relaxation at the Greenbrier.

History, hospitality, and elegance are the main reasons why the Greenbrier has been a staple of Americana for hundreds of years and continues to be our "special place" for our family.

One last tip, I encourage you to get off the grounds and take in the new Greenbrier excursion at Oakhurst Links - the oldest golf course in America. The Greenbier recently purchased it and it's only three miles from the main grounds. You will play on a golf course built in 1884 and use hickory golf clubs and gutta percha balls. It's walking back in time and you'll never forget the experience. Enjoy!

P.S. Lewisburg is also a great place to stop in prior to or following your visit at the Greenbirer. It is seven miles away and was named 2011's Coolest Small Town in America. It has great antique stores and excellent dining options like Stella's and the Livery. Food & Friends is a traditional diner/cafe but it has a wide array of food choices on its menu and the salad dressings are all made fro scratch. I've also never had a bad experience at the Cantina across the street. I've heard Stardust is good as well. The Irish Pub has live music, authentic Irish fare, and a good vibe.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

While on our way back home from a visit in North Carolina my husband and I stopped at The Greenbriar Resort in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, and had lunch at the Draper's Café. As we were being lead to our table I spotted a magnificently designed (and huge) banana split getting ready to be served to some lucky person. Never having been to the Draper's before we asked the waitress for advice on our choice of luncheon entrée. My husband chose the chicken salad plate and I chose the fried green tomato sandwich both of which were signature dishes of Draper's. Both were excellent. We had read some reviews about the Draper's ice cream and had planned to leave room for dessert. My husband chose the coffee and I chose the pistachio. Pistachio is my favorite and this was the best pistachio ice cream I have ever had. My husband loved the coffee ice cream and offered me a spoonful to add to my coffee (which was also wonderful).

While at The Greenbriar we took the opportunity to look around and also visit the Christmas Shop. There was no room in the Inn for us to stay the night as The Greenbriar was hosting the PGA. We intend to return sometime in the future as guests and will certainly visit the Draper's Café again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Surrounded by Water
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This historic property is worth the long drive into the mountains, especially during warm weather. We booked a cottage outside of the main hotel to enjoy a big porch during the warm days and a wood burning fireplace at night. Yes, it can be pricey and some folks aren't happy about the old school feel of the decorations, but that is a part of the experience. Even if you don't play golf, walking the resort property is a joy. Now, the food. Excellent. Good choices. We were disappointed that the pool was not open even though the temps reached the high 70's and the sun was shinning. Their pool is awesome and the view from the pool deck is one the reasons we went to visit. When booking through the hotel, we were assured that the pool would be open "weather permitting." But the while we were there, their daily answer was no. A big lock on the gate even prevented us from sun bathing and enjoying that awesome view. Management needs to be more sensitive to guest requests.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

For all included the value was great, the room elegant and comfortable, the restraints were delicious and the service was wonderful! There was so many activities to do we had so much fun and felt like royalty! We swam in their indoor pool that was huge and drapped with fabric and lush seating, had my long hair trimmed at their salon and was quite pleased, and we had relaxing body mud wraps, hot stone deep tissue massage, hair and face massage with frankensense and muir oils, and hot steam shower at their luxurious spa. We shopped at some of their boutique stores and gift shops, checked out their day care center and floral shop, watched a free gourmet cooking demonstration on habenaro shrimp and coconut rice with specialty cupcakes and received free samples! (Everyday at 11am and 1pm) we also got to enjoy the free Presidents Cottage Museum that in the 1800's five U.S. Presidents stayed at during their stay at Greenbriar. We went on an inexpensive bunker tour that took us thru the underground cold war bunker built during the cold war and located under a new wing of the main hotel that if necessary could be used to protect the U.S. congress. They have beautiful meeting rooms and decor throughout the hotel with a multitude of the most gorgeous chandeliers I've ever seen....and I'm fond of chandeliers...that really impressed me from small to lamp style in their casino, to various colored glass cut designs that were huge by normal standards and they even had one in the game room on Thx first lobby floor that they recently acquired from Debbie Reynolds that was the original from the epic 'Gone With The Wind'! They have crochet, tennis, horse riding, hiking trails, pro golf course, canopy and zip line tours, off road adventures, falconry, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, beautiful gardens and to most elegant style decor with hand painted wallpaper of scenes fromcfhe 1830-1850's in the lower lobby area. Dining required reservation but we were very pleased and they got us in early at In fusion restaurant (Asian). In the main dining area they have free afternoon tea and cookies for guest of the hotel and others could pay extra for the service. They had free champaign toast every night at 10pm in the casino area (that was remarkable quiet) and free top of the line movies in their large movie theater....'Dark Knight' and 'Led Miserables' were playing while we were there. They also have cottages for rent for larger groups or families and this would also accommodate business gatherings. There is a Grace Kelly sitting room above the north entrance, parking is good, they had old world style writing rooms and they have shuttle services to most of the areas with activities. It is 6500 acres of fun and relaxation! Know I've said so much but this is an extraordinary hotel and it was very much like being the guest of honor at the White House itself...as it resembles it.

• Stayed May 2013
Huntington, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

One of the finest hotels/resorts in the world. This is a place everyone should visit at least once in their lifetime. Located in the gorgeous mountains of West Virginia, the hotel itself is huge with an endless array of bold, colorful and luxurious rooms. The property has everything you could ever want - world-class restaurants, a renowned spa, championship golf courses, indoor & outdoor pools, boutique shopping, and literally dozens of outdoor activities. There's even a large movie theater. You could stay here a week and not experience everything the resort has to offer. It should definitely be a 5-star property. One of the greatest experiences of my life.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Drapiers is located in the hotel Greenbriar Resort has wonderful menu choices from burgers to wonton nachos with pulled pork. We had appetizers for our meal the three timed we ate there and were very full. Prices range from low to moderate, however, the food is fabulous and satisfying. If you like the old soda fountain decor and ambiance there is an ice cream counter you can sit at for deserts only. The booths have shuttered windows with paintings of the old south behind them and the ceiling is filled with chandeliers with tinted colored glass. Beautiful and elegant experience and would definitely eat at Drapiers again!

• Stayed August 2012
Quality Inn Covington
Quality Inn Covington
#4 of 5 in Covington
3.5 of 5 stars 48 reviews

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!