“The best travel experience in the Eastern US.” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
The Greenbrier
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Princeton, West Virginia
“The best travel experience in the Eastern US.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

We love visiting the Greenbrier and return again and again for the wonderful service, the friendly staff and the elegant surroundings.

Whether you enjoy the great outdoors, golf, tennis or fishing, it can be found here and is well done. The restaurants are first rate and foods are tantalizing and well prepared.

A treat any time of year!

• Stayed November 2012

1,392 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Weston, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Went with a pal for a few days of r&r. arrived on the eve of the pres elections, and the resort -which is huge - was empty, as it was all week. no lines/no waiting anywhere. although flights were limited, it was easy to fly in/out of the nearby airport. maybe a 15 min drive to the hotel.

chose this resort because it had tons of available outdoor activities. had an awesome time shooting at the beautiful gun club. did the sporting clays course. excellent instruction. challenging stations. off-road driving was cool too. horseback riding - not so much. took us for a short ride around the golf course. pretty, but we would've preferred heading back into the woods. bunker tour was cool, as was checking out the tons of historical stuff both on and surrounding the resort.

rooms were nice - large/clean/comfy beds. we stayed in the main bldg. if i go back with the fam, i'd try one of the the surrounding cottages, which looked nice.

gym was ok - good enough for a decent workout. hit the spa after - also nice. good massage - awesome steam room. excellent facilities (even without a jacuzzi). indoor pool also nice. I like how they left the old tile work in the pool and even certain fixtures in the spa that obviously were from many many years ago - nice touch, and a cool reminder of how things were there years ago. the resort did show its age in several spots - inside and out - but not to the point of distraction. i actual think that it adds to some of its age-old charm.

decent restaurant choices - couldn't try the steak or sushi place because we didn't have or feel like putting on jackets - which they offered to provide. the night time dress code is kind of strange - especially when the place was so empty. i can see them enforcing it fri and sat nights, but 7 days seems a bit archaic and overly formal.

service was excellent -- very polite and attentive, but not overbearing. every staff member goes out of their way to say hello and see if you're alright. again, very proper and formal, but it didn't seem overwhelming.

only complaints (1) the resort is a bit overly formal, which I know made sense there many years ago, and although I certainly don't suggest them eliminating the formalities in their entirety, perhaps a bit of modernization wouldn't be a bad thing.

second, I left my laptop case in my room, and when I called for it the next day, they told me that it had not been found, which was uncool, as I'm certain that I left it there (they told me that no one used the room after I checked out) and as it had my portable wifi hotspot, as well.

overall a beautiful, historic hotel with excellent service and tons of available activities. if u go, make sure to check out nearby Lewisburg, and to drive through the country and see some of the historical sites, beautiful scenery and covered bridges.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Kids had so much fun during our 4 day visit that we will return next year.

Very friendly and welcoming staff.

The dance performance in the casino was nice. Hotel hours were awesome.

The junior suite was HUGE with tons of space for the kids to run around.

You must try the Stardust cafe (in Lewisburg) while staying at the Greenbrier.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We booked a stay at the Greenbier having stayed there one time previously. This was our first stay since the change of management and the construction of the casino. The resort was as gorgeous as before but the "food plan" change to the continental plan from an all-inclusive style (preciously all meals were included in the room price). They have added more variety in on-site restaurant choices so that you can select the level you want to spend for a meal although everything is still very pricey. We enjoyed all of our dinners and decided to go middle-of-the road with spending. We did book a massage (don't yet have couples massages) and enjoyed them but again they were rather pricey compared to what you would get elsewhere. If you have not taken the Cold War Bunder Tour you need to do this to get a feel for the secret kept by them and the federal government for a lot of years.

My only disappointment was in trying to leave the resort. I called ahead for my car and waited about 40 minutes with luggage in hand waiting for my car. It was very busy at checkout time and found out that no one recorded my request for my car and had to wait another 20 minutes to get it. All-in-all had to wait 1 hour to get my car. I heard numerous complaints about similar wait times for othere trying to check out (some even rode the bus to the valet parking area and picked up their car on their own). This was my only complaint about our entire visit.

I am also surprised that the Greenbier does not do a follow-up survey about a visitors stay so that they can improve services. I don't know if they think everying is perfect and don't need to do this but other high end restorts where we have stayed have done this everytime.

I don't know that I will return to the Greenbier since there are other similar high end restorts available but it was work the experience to see the changes made after the bankruptcy and the construction of the casino.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed at the Greenbrier for business purposes while I was attending a conference being hosted there. I lead with that, because I never would have independently stayed there and this review should be taken with that in mind.

The Greenbrier is unlike any other conference venue I have been to. It is Gone With the Wind meets rural West Virginia.

The property is well maintained (especially for its age) and clean. I won't use modern, as WiFi is spotty, pink is the predominant color, and flower wall paper and rocking chairs abound (that said I do not think they would want to be considered modern). A lot of the rooms are in cottages not attached to the main hotel.

On the plus side, the vistas are beautiful and the air is fresh. There are some great jogging trails. On the negative side, it is situated in an extremely difficult locale to get to (esp. by air), it feels like time stands still on the resort (the staff while friendly, move at a glacial pace and, how do I put this dimplomatically, probably are still working their way through college). The decor is either to be loved or hated. It is priced like a 5 star resort, especially the on resort restaurants.

I think for a couple where one party is happy golfing and the other enjoys afternoon tea time, this might be the resort for you, or for someone that wants to relive the old deep south.

Overall, strange venue for a conference, and a strange (make that unique) place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This restaurant is the more casual of the fine dining options at The Greenbrier. The staff isn't quite as refined as the staff at the other restaurants but they are still very friendly and take care of you well. The meal was prepared quickly and was tasty (I give it a 3.5/5). The Greenbrier Peach milkshake is out of this world awesome. It's worth going there just that. There is also a good selection of other desserts.

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

We recently visited the Greenbriar for a second time. We had not been since it was saved from bankruptcy and many renovations were made. It remains an amazing and gorgeous setting. The rooms are plush and comfortable. The costs are crazy! A fountain coke was close to $4. Same for a bottle of soda at one of the many shops. Spa is fabulous but also very pricey. Moral of my review: go for the beauty of a truly lovely place but take your wallet because you will need it.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!