“You need to experience this resort at least once.” 5 of 5 stars

The Greenbrier
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Morgantown, West Virginia
“You need to experience this resort at least once.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We booked a stay at the Greenbier having stayed there one time previously. This was our first stay since the change of management and the construction of the casino. The resort was as gorgeous as before but the "food plan" change to the continental plan from an all-inclusive style (preciously all meals were included in the room price). They have added more variety in on-site restaurant choices so that you can select the level you want to spend for a meal although everything is still very pricey. We enjoyed all of our dinners and decided to go middle-of-the road with spending. We did book a massage (don't yet have couples massages) and enjoyed them but again they were rather pricey compared to what you would get elsewhere. If you have not taken the Cold War Bunder Tour you need to do this to get a feel for the secret kept by them and the federal government for a lot of years.

My only disappointment was in trying to leave the resort. I called ahead for my car and waited about 40 minutes with luggage in hand waiting for my car. It was very busy at checkout time and found out that no one recorded my request for my car and had to wait another 20 minutes to get it. All-in-all had to wait 1 hour to get my car. I heard numerous complaints about similar wait times for othere trying to check out (some even rode the bus to the valet parking area and picked up their car on their own). This was my only complaint about our entire visit.

I am also surprised that the Greenbier does not do a follow-up survey about a visitors stay so that they can improve services. I don't know if they think everying is perfect and don't need to do this but other high end restorts where we have stayed have done this everytime.

I don't know that I will return to the Greenbier since there are other similar high end restorts available but it was work the experience to see the changes made after the bankruptcy and the construction of the casino.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed at the Greenbrier for business purposes while I was attending a conference being hosted there. I lead with that, because I never would have independently stayed there and this review should be taken with that in mind.

The Greenbrier is unlike any other conference venue I have been to. It is Gone With the Wind meets rural West Virginia.

The property is well maintained (especially for its age) and clean. I won't use modern, as WiFi is spotty, pink is the predominant color, and flower wall paper and rocking chairs abound (that said I do not think they would want to be considered modern). A lot of the rooms are in cottages not attached to the main hotel.

On the plus side, the vistas are beautiful and the air is fresh. There are some great jogging trails. On the negative side, it is situated in an extremely difficult locale to get to (esp. by air), it feels like time stands still on the resort (the staff while friendly, move at a glacial pace and, how do I put this dimplomatically, probably are still working their way through college). The decor is either to be loved or hated. It is priced like a 5 star resort, especially the on resort restaurants.

I think for a couple where one party is happy golfing and the other enjoys afternoon tea time, this might be the resort for you, or for someone that wants to relive the old deep south.

Overall, strange venue for a conference, and a strange (make that unique) place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This restaurant is the more casual of the fine dining options at The Greenbrier. The staff isn't quite as refined as the staff at the other restaurants but they are still very friendly and take care of you well. The meal was prepared quickly and was tasty (I give it a 3.5/5). The Greenbrier Peach milkshake is out of this world awesome. It's worth going there just that. There is also a good selection of other desserts.

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

We recently visited the Greenbriar for a second time. We had not been since it was saved from bankruptcy and many renovations were made. It remains an amazing and gorgeous setting. The rooms are plush and comfortable. The costs are crazy! A fountain coke was close to $4. Same for a bottle of soda at one of the many shops. Spa is fabulous but also very pricey. Moral of my review: go for the beauty of a truly lovely place but take your wallet because you will need it.

• Stayed October 2012
Moneta, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This had to be one of the best, if not the best, experiences I'va had. The staff is top notch, personable and friendly and we were called by our names from the moment of arrival. We were treated like royalty. It was our anniversary and upon check-in, they had left us red roses, a card and a small box of delicious truffles. At dinner, they brought us a complimentary piece of chocolate cake, complete with candle), with Happy Anniversary hand written in chocolate on the plate. The tour of The Bunker is well worth the fee! Just a great experience!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ashland, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

went to the greenbrier resort on a 3 day 2 night golf package-played all three courses and they were all great-the jerry west restaurant (44 west) was terrific, although very pricey(think an upscale ruth chris')-the resort was class all the way.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My wife and I took a long weekend for our "babymoon" this weekend and were blow away by The Greenbrier. It was a great southern retreat.
We were greeted by a friendly and efficient valet who unloaded our bags. The check in was smooth and very quick (especially for a Friday) with an explanation of the hotel and activities. THe check out process was also quick and smooth. The bellman took us and our bags to our room and gave us some insightful advice and anecdotes along the way. We had an intermediate room (livingsocial deal) and it was VERY clean, large, had beautiful views and nice bathroom. I am very critical of room cleanliness and couldn't find anything wrong with this one. The rooms are designed to maintain their southern charm.
Friday night we had a good dinner at Drapers which is the more casual of the nice restaurants (get the Greenbrier Peach milkshake). The staff there was more casual than the other restaurants. We finished the night off with bowling and air hockey. The bowling alley and arcade are older but still provide a great time.
The breakfast buffet in the main dining room is a must. It's about $60 for two people but it is well worth it. The service is great and there are mountains of excellent food. We also had dinner at The Forum (italian) and it was the best meal I've had in quite a while. Large portions, great bread, amazing appetizer with sweet peppers and sausage and incredible service.
The bunker tour is another must see as is the hotel tour (inside/out tour). There is a ton of interesting history surrounding the hotel. We also visited the artists shops. They are quite expensive (as you would expect) but the artists are very friendly and love to talk about the area and their work. We spent a little time at the new casino which is also very nice.
The whole vacation was a trip back to a place with old southern charm. If you like to relax and get away from the world without being out of reach, this is the place to go.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!