I stayed at the Greenbrier for business purposes while I was attending a conference being hosted there. I lead with that, because I never would have independently stayed there and this review should be taken with that in mind.
The Greenbrier is unlike any other conference venue I have been to. It is Gone With the Wind meets rural West Virginia.
The property is well maintained (especially for its age) and clean. I won't use modern, as WiFi is spotty, pink is the predominant color, and flower wall paper and rocking chairs abound (that said I do not think they would want to be considered modern). A lot of the rooms are in cottages not attached to the main hotel.
On the plus side, the vistas are beautiful and the air is fresh. There are some great jogging trails. On the negative side, it is situated in an extremely difficult locale to get to (esp. by air), it feels like time stands still on the resort (the staff while friendly, move at a glacial pace and, how do I put this dimplomatically, probably are still working their way through college). The decor is either to be loved or hated. It is priced like a 5 star resort, especially the on resort restaurants.
I think for a couple where one party is happy golfing and the other enjoys afternoon tea time, this might be the resort for you, or for someone that wants to relive the old deep south.
Overall, strange venue for a conference, and a strange (make that unique) place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located amid the breathtaking Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia, The Greenbrier is a National Historic Landmark and an award-winning resort that has been welcoming guests since 1778. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Travelocity so you can book your The Greenbrier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Greenbrier Hotel White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Resort White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Wv