“Top notch across the board” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
The Greenbrier
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Houston, Texas
“Top notch across the board”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My wife and I took a long weekend for our "babymoon" this weekend and were blow away by The Greenbrier. It was a great southern retreat.
We were greeted by a friendly and efficient valet who unloaded our bags. The check in was smooth and very quick (especially for a Friday) with an explanation of the hotel and activities. THe check out process was also quick and smooth. The bellman took us and our bags to our room and gave us some insightful advice and anecdotes along the way. We had an intermediate room (livingsocial deal) and it was VERY clean, large, had beautiful views and nice bathroom. I am very critical of room cleanliness and couldn't find anything wrong with this one. The rooms are designed to maintain their southern charm.
Friday night we had a good dinner at Drapers which is the more casual of the nice restaurants (get the Greenbrier Peach milkshake). The staff there was more casual than the other restaurants. We finished the night off with bowling and air hockey. The bowling alley and arcade are older but still provide a great time.
The breakfast buffet in the main dining room is a must. It's about $60 for two people but it is well worth it. The service is great and there are mountains of excellent food. We also had dinner at The Forum (italian) and it was the best meal I've had in quite a while. Large portions, great bread, amazing appetizer with sweet peppers and sausage and incredible service.
The bunker tour is another must see as is the hotel tour (inside/out tour). There is a ton of interesting history surrounding the hotel. We also visited the artists shops. They are quite expensive (as you would expect) but the artists are very friendly and love to talk about the area and their work. We spent a little time at the new casino which is also very nice.
The whole vacation was a trip back to a place with old southern charm. If you like to relax and get away from the world without being out of reach, this is the place to go.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
New Orleans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I visit The Greenbrier every other year for a meeting. I could live there. It is such a remarkable facility in its charm, graciousness, amenities, food, locale, comfort, etc etc etc.
world class golfing
You will never get anything but a delicious meal there, you will never find any service personnel more polite and helpful. The days just slip by. I am not a golfer, but world class golfing is there, excellent tennis facilities. a beautiful indoor pool, the spa, the high tea.turn

Let me put this another way. One evening we returned to our room after turn down service and a loose USB cord was on top of my laptop. I left it there loose, but upon return it was coiled and tied neatly with a silk white ribbon and bow.
If you ever have the opportunity to visit The Greenbrier for a few days for any reason, you must. You will not be sorry.

Room Tip: they're all good. You can ask for a "view," but all the views are great
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Canton, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Prtions were fairly large, the food is good, but the quality of the products served has decreased a bit. The wait staff at Drapers are the only staff that adhere to the service that the Greenbrier is famous for. The only negative I can think of was that every time I took a drink from my glass someone replaced it as soon as I let go of the glass, which can a bit un-nerving because I never saw or heard the server coming every time they took my glass.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I am going to start with the good before I get to the not so great.

1. If you go to the Gun Club ask for Ron. He is wonderful. I came to the Greenbrier with my husband, it was the first time for both of us. My husband is a former Marine so of course he wanted to go to the Gun Club. I was hesitant but decided there's a first time for everything. Ron walked the course with us and educated me on how to hold the gun, shoot the gun, etc. Again, I was super nervous and anyone could tell. Ron was so helpful and encouraging. At the beginning of the lesson I would have been just as happy watching my husband shoot...10 minutes in and I was hooked! I am sure the other guys there are just as great, but Ron made the entire experience unforgettable and was the pinnacle of our entire trip.

2. Most of the staff was so nice. From the bell hop, doormen, housekeeping, they were all wonderful. I had my nails done in the salon and they were all super nice and welcoming. The concierge was very helpful as well.

3. Our room was very nice; the view was something to be desired. We came at a time of the week when there was practically no one there (large group canceled maybe b/c of Hurricane Sandy). It was great for us, but then you would think that we could maybe have had a room with a better view.

4. The food was excellent when eating in a restaurant. Prime 44 was delicious. One of the best steaks I have eaten. Our waiter let us take our time with ordering a starter first and then waiting to put in our entree order so we had time to relax and not feel rushed. If you are going to be spending a lot of money on a meal you might at as enjoy the time! Draper's was a great place for lunch and we had the same lovely waitress both days. Both restaurants were very accommodating. We also had dinner at Infusion and it was alright. The sashimi we ordered wasn't very good, but the other meals we had were good.

Now onto the parts to be desired.
1. Do not eat, I repeat, do not eat at the shop where there are pre-made sandwiches. I forget the name but they have cooking classes there. The staff was RUDE and the food was terrible! Two people were behind the counter. We had to wait for them to finish their conversation before they acknowledge our existence. Then when we ordered, I ordered my sandwich first. The second woman walked 3 feet over to the bin to grab the sandwich. When she walked the 3 feet back my husband picked his sandwich. You would have thought we asked her to actually make the sandwich herself. She stood there, paused, rolled her eyes and walked back the 3 feet to the bin. The first woman, who was ringing us out, just had this look on her face like she was mad we were making her work. They were the two rudest women on our trip.

2. The retail staff doesn't know much about the products they sell. My husband found a coat that he liked. He asked to try it on and started asking questions about the coat...one being "Is this an everyday coat?" The employee's response was "yeah, you could probably use it as that." Once I looked at the price I said, "Um, yeah for $4,600 you should also wear it to bed!" The employees should know everything about a product at that price. I don't care who you are or where you work. The message I got was, "hey, you're at The Greenbrier, why are you even asking?"

3. I have a rash on the side of my face up by my ear and down to my jaw. It moved to both arms. I believe it's due to the detergent used for the sheets, but I normally don't get rashes when I stay in hotel rooms, so I wanted to make note. I didn't say anything to the staff since I only noticed it on the day we left. First my ear was itching, which I didn't think anything of at the time. Then it moved to the side of my face and my arms. Again, it is probably just the detergent although other people have complained about fleas...yet you are in the woods, so I guess it can come with the territory.

Overall I gave it a Very Good, because there was a lot more good than bad.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

From the time that we drove through the front gate until we left I felt like I had stepped into "Gone With The Wind". The hotel is BEAUTIFUL & the staff is EXCELLENT. They made sure that they took the extra step to make sure that your visit was perfect. The Spa was one of the best that I have ever visited. The food is excellent & there is several different resturants to choose from. The only complaint that I had was they were not all open. The Casino is beautiful but don't expect to win! Perfect place for a romantic trip but it is not cheap!

Room Tip: Choose the outer rooms as they are larger. Ours was located in the center of the hotel & was a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

If visiting or staying at the Greenbrier, the Drapers Cafe is the place to go for lunch .At noon it becomes crowned and they do not take reservations. Worth the wait. The Bloody Mary's were OK but i would not recommend it.The luncheon menue was excelent. We had Rubeuns and Quesadiilla and were very pleased with the quality and service. The prices were reasonable considering this special resort
Met the Chef Josh Holmes and he was very nice to talk to about the Cafe and other restaurants at the Greenbrier.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The place was a myriad of different things. Went for a conference and gave up trying to find any of the rooms. Ended up just asking staff, which were always helpful and plentiful. Service was good and I never felt like I was a bother to anyone. The flower decor was a bit overwhelming - including my floor to ceiling wallpapered bathroom.. Room was cramped for $300/night (that's with our conference pricing).

If you go for the historical aspect of the inn, you won't be disappointed. Lots to see and read about.

One word of warning. Parking. It's everywhere, but no where. If you are in the main building, chances are you will have to park across the highway or somewhere not near the building in one of the smaller lots sprinkled around the complex, but a shuttle ride away (if you're lucky - we weren't the day we were checking out. Waited 15+ minutes and finally hitched a ride with a co-worker to get my car so we could load our bags and head out.)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!