“Wedding Destination” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
monticello
“Wedding Destination”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Fulfill your fantasy dream of a beautiful perfect wedding at the Greenbrier. An all inclusive destination at a beautiful resort that knows how to treat you and your guests to a wonderful time that you will always remember. The Greenbrier will think of everything and all you have to do is show up! Attended my step daughters wedding over August 4th weekend and would recommend this resort to all. Best wishes for a wonderful life.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd flr and used the stairs instead of waiting for the elevator.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
washington, d.c.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I attended an 80th family birthday, and found the service poor, the food average, and both overrated and expensive for a five star hotel.. Sneads Steakhouse was outrageously expensive and the food did not come to anyone in the party of 12 as ordered. We asked that the manager take a photo of the group, and he responded that he was busy and would get back to us. He never did. The food in the hotel was also average and the service below average. The rooms were lovely, as well as the amenities in the bathroom and the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I was so excited about eating at Prime 44 west on our weekend trip to the Greenbrier. It is the nicest of all the places to eat. Make reservations before your stay. We did not and had to wait until 9 pm to eat. I ordered the ceaser salad and they brought all of tbe ingredients out and made it in front of us. It was amazing I highly recommend it! The server was not friendly or attentive which was dissappointing with a 250.00 dinner for 2. The bread guy brought us bacon bread that my fiancé loved and theI would cornbread was very good. We both ordered steaks a filet and NY strip. They offer Kobe beef, but 100.00 for a steak I didn't see the point. Our steaks were cooked perfect and tasty. I ordered the signature Lobster mashed potatoes I was so excited, but dissapointed when I tasted the instant potatoes! For 22.00 they should be real potatoes! So I just ate the lobster. I would not return to Prime 44 West, they are overpriced for the quality of food and service.

• Stayed July 2012
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We had super slow service the two times we went but very good food and milkshakes. it was just an ok expereince

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed at the Greenbrier, August 7-10th 2012 for a conference. When we pulled up we were instantly remined of another hotel that looked similar, The Grand Hotel on Macinaw Island, MI. So we had high expectations. The exterior of the Greenbrier is remarkable and the setting is breathtaking. The inside, definately has the "pop of color" that Designer Dorothy Draper is known for. It wasnt really my style but it was very elegant in a 1940's glamour/old hollywood kind of way. Lots of florals, wallpaper and grandeuos furniture. Our room was on the first floor 1024. It was a rather large bright and sunny (yellow floral) room. The bathroom was ok I did notice places where the wallpaper was coming off the walls. Just small areas. There was no fan in the bathroom and the room was hard to cool down. We had exceptionally warm, humid weather apparently not something that happens much in the mountains of WV. The history was fastinating, to think we walked through the very room where presidents, royalty, and Hollywood"s finest danced...too cool! We did go on the Bunker tour which was very interesting. The casino was ok, after going to Vegas nothing compares. We had good food but terrible service the two times we went to Drapers for lunch. The other meals were catered as part of our convention. I thought the food was compareable to other upscale resturants that we have gone to. we thourghly enjoyed the "tea time" and snacks everyday. It just added to the elegance.I did go to the spa. I had the perfect relaxation kur $215 + 20% gratuity, of which I only had to pay $65, the hosts of the convention paid for the rest. It consisted of a whirlpool bath in the Sulphur waters, a mini massage and a lavendar infused wrap. It was a good massage but not the best I have ever had. The whirlpool was a pretty neat experience as it was a room not a tub. It was definately worth the $65 that I paid for it but I wouldnt have paid $215 for it. Overall we enjoyed our time there. It was beautiful and glamourous and we had wonderful service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Pittsburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

I should have known from the time that I tried to make lodging reservations and was put on hold for over a half hour (not an exaggeration) driven crazy with one song played over and over during the wait. This happened twice since I wasn't ready to make the reservation the first time. Have wanted to go here for years. Have been to many similar properties including Nemacolin Woodlands. Was excited about all the opportunities for activities. I was ready to "pay the price" so to speak since everything is extremely expensive. That does not factor into my review though since the service I received was far below that I have received at much less expensive hotels. First you cannot learn much about activities and sign up for them on the website. Really poor construction. You are forced to call concierge to do that. Only problem is you call the concierge and get their voicemail!!! I called the day we arrived and left a message concerning a restaurant reservation and they didn't call me back until the next day!!! When I finally got through to try to make a reservation for horseback riding the following day ...all filled up!!! Yesterday tried to make reservation for Italian restaurant the following day ... All filled! Maybe because it is only open for3 hours during the evening! Called to schedule laser tag... Sorry that is only held every other day!!!! Called to play family golf on Meadows course.... I am not lying, they said it would be closed for mowing the following day!!! My husband and son then made a tee time for golf at another course and they must try to schedule too many people because they said they had to wait for every single shot except their second shots on par three holes. If your kids like to swim in the evening .... Sorry but the pools close early (no later than7pm). Tree Top restaurant service by pool way below average. First day, forgot sauces, never offered to refill drinks (had to go to bar myself for refill). Second day waited a long time for someone to come to our table,brought us the wrong drinks and wrong sides! To the credit of the waiter he apologized for everything. I didn't even complain because by this point I had to laugh or else I would go ballistic.Outdoor pool OK but really lacks shade. I counted approximately 13 umbrellas and they could use double that amount. Did like the system they have for chairs since rare to have any open if you get there late. You put your bame on a wait list and they call your name when some open. Beats having people hovering over your seats if they think you are leaving. I am still here,checking out tomorrow morning but had to get this off my chest in the hopes that I get a good nights rest. Thank you for the upgraded suite when our room was not ready (without asking for it). It is huge. Iwont even get into the decor although anyone who has been here knows what I'm talking about. Doesn't look worn but could have been done so richly. Instead think 90 year old wallpaper loving, art deco grandma that loves mixing florals from ceiling to floor, with prints and about10 bright colors per room. We are a family of four with two teenagers and will be staying in our room for the second night in a row watching the Olympics in our room. Suggestion... Put in an outdoor fire pit and have s'mores! There is a movie playing in the theater but I have to call the concierge to find out what it is.. Not a chance!!!! Can't wait to leave and will never come back.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
phila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Huge white building in the middle of a very depressed town. Decor was from a era that you have to see to believe. Rooms were very clean - a bit old but the downside was that the choice of beds were either a king or 2 doubles (and they were small doubles!). Prices were extremely high - $55 for a pound of chocolate - really - was it made of gold? Tennis and outdoor pool were very nice. Outstanding customer service!!!
Bunker tour was interesting. Have to see this place to cross it off the bucket list...

Room Tip: 6th floor - room 6214 overlooks roof and across from service elevator - stay away unless you run the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!