“Great Active Family Getaway - skip Windsor Club” 5 of 5 stars

You added The Greenbrier to your Saves list
The Greenbrier
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986   |
Richmond, VA
“Great Active Family Getaway - skip Windsor Club”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

My wife and I went to the Greenbrier for my wife's 40th birthday in November - we left our daughter at home with her grandparents.

The resort is impressive in its size and scale. The restaurants were very good - not the best food or service you've ever had - but very good. The activities available to us in November were good - we went horseback riding and visited the casino and the shops too much. But we are really looking forward to returning in late summer to enjoy the swimming, tennis, golf, croquet, etc. This resort is straight out of a post card.

I would skip the Windsor Club. We stayed there. The service there was very attentive - we were almost always the only people in the club. And they surprised my wife with a fantastic gift at dinner the last night. It had tasty food - but really just fancy appetizers - and open bar on wine and alcohol. So why skip it? Because the resort is so expansive and the restaurants are so nice, why would you want to eat all your meals in the club? We wanted to experience The Restaurant and the breakfast buffet, so we did, skipping the offerings in the club. And if you have the means to go to the Windsor Club, why do you need to skimp on meals? All in all, it was nice, but not worth it.

To end - I am looking forward to going to the resort again with my wife and daughter and enjoying all the resort has to offer in its prime seasons.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
Big Bear Lake CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

Service could never be better, activities for everyone and all ages from horseback riding, fly fishing, beautiful grounds, wonderful infinity pool and I could gone on for ever, a must stay at least once (would suggest at least a week, and you'll still never see or do everything) at the Greenbrier! Did I also mention that I go engaged there, the perfect place if you are taking the Big Step!

Room Tip: Ecery room is a great room
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Forest, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

While the facility and the staff are exceptional, we were not previously advised that most of the amenities and restaurants were closed. Since this was our first trip, we obviously were filled with great expectations. Had we known, we would have chosen another destination.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Branchland, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

This was my first time here as I had to attend a Conference. Pulling up to the property, even in the cold, nasty. pooring rain weather was a "WOW" moment. The inside was nice with a lot of history through pictures lining the walls. The lobby, casino, rooms were nice, but not what I was expecting... I'm not even sure what I was expecting, but in all, it seemed to be an average "hotel stay" with very over priced dinning. Parking is a problem unless you want to pay the $20.00 a day to vallet, if not, be prepared to walk a while from where you park, back to the entrance. Again, this was a beautiful Resort, but for the money, I have stayed in nicer places, however, never have I gotten gotten goose bumps while walking down stairs and hallways thinking of the many, many Presidents, movie stars, Queens, Kings, etc that had taken the very same steps I was taking. GREAT PLACE if you love history!!!

Room Tip: Room 5164 has an AWESOME view, overlooking the ice skating rink!! If I were to return, I would requ...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
K-Vegas, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

You can't go wrong with the crab cakes... they're super tasty. I also love the chicken and waffles... but the greatest of all: fried green tomatoes with pimento cheese. I eat them at least once a day, usually twice, and never regret it for a second. The sweet tea with simple syrup is too good for words. A must try!

K-Vegas, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I can normally churn out a review pretty quickly, even at times typing one right from my restaurant seat if I'm particularly peeved. The Greenbrier, however, has never been a place that I could communicate into any sort of unbiased report. Having stayed there around six times in the last two years, I can truly say that this "resort" has the absolute heart of a small town. Each time we return we are greeted by name... from the front door to the restaurants. Not because it's on your reservation, but with "how did Abigail do at her big horse show?" or "did you bring the dogs with you?" At first I found the personable nature of the "staff" kind of odd, but then I actually began to understand it. The Greenbrier is not a hotel. It's not a resort. It's not a stop on the PGA. It's a big white house full of heart, pride and sense of community. I can't imagine that anyone could ever not enjoy their time there, no matter how brief. Each time we have to leave, we plan our return before we say goodbye. It's like going home.

So! On to what makes the place so special (aside from, obviously, the amazing people.)

The house. This place is GORGEOUS. You cannot be disappointed in the grandeur that IS Greenbrier. Dorothy Draper and now Carleton Varney have poured their hearts and souls into the decor and it is spectacular. You walk back in time to an era that makes you feel like Grace Kelly, yet everything is spotless. The brass doorknobs and heavy moulding scream out from every detailed room. The bathrooms are even worth checking out. I never pass a new one without peeking in. It is fantastic from top to bottom, inside and out.

The property. Get outside! Enjoy the beautiful Allegheny Mountains. You should participate in as many outdoor activities as you can squeeze into your trip. Never shot skeet? They'll teach you. Never held a hawk? They'll let you. Never learned to fly fish? Clair will perfect your technique with a patience you didn't know existed. The list goes on and on and includes off-road driving, horses and of course golf. You can't go wrong. Tour the Bunker! You will be amazed at how they have repurposed that space. It's very cool, but wear comfy shoes.

Relax. The indoor sulphur pool is quite possibly the greatest pool in the world. I hate to swim, but when we take our daughter this is a must. I initially half-heartedly agreed to get in, but then I was sold. Bonus? It's breathtakingly gorgeous AND it makes your hair feel fabulous. The outdoor infinity pool has an amazing view and the best poolside service around. I DARE you to run out of your beverage. You cannot do it. Swimming at Gb is no big deal, after all, because you will find meticulously appointed changing rooms steps from the water. Whatever you forgot, they have them in plenty. Do put your swimsuit in the "spinner" and marvel at antique technology.

The Spa. I'm not a big spa fan, but my husband is. I went along one day because I was in the rare mood and I was delighted with a mud bath. The day that I went I was the only person in the waiting room. Again you will find everything you need in here. No stone unturned. I love that some of the treatment rooms appear to be original to the property. Gracious and yet glorious. It's a great way to spend a morning.

The FOOD. I feel pretty certain that I gain 15 pounds every time I arrive at The Greenbrier. I can't rattle off everything tasty because it would be ridiculous. Crab cakes... sushi... mashed potatoes... the random pasta that they concocted because I juuuust couldn't make up my mind. There is no limit to tasty food and absolutely nothing seems to be bad. Drapers will feed you at almost all hours and satisfy any sweet tooth. Carlton Cafe has the best scone I have ever had. I don't eat lobster, but the lobster mashed potatoes are practically famous.

The Casino. There is a casino at The Greenbrier and I know you probably think that's tacky. Well, it could be tacky if it wasn't perfectly decorated, quiet, smoke free, and full of the friendliest of all Greenbrier staff. I could go on and on about the Casino Club and their attention to detail, but I will digress because most people that love to game don't need convincing. I will say, Art is a gem of a man and he went WELL above the call of duty to screen my favorite movie in December. I'm not a fan of the entertainment during the champagne toast, but I appreciate the effort. I appreciate the fact that proper dress is required. It's nice for the patrons to match their lovely surroundings.

The shopping. I completed my Christmas shopping at The Greenbrier and it was the easiest that task has ever been. They happily delivered everything to our cottage and by the time we checked out I was finished. There are shops for every taste... my Santa-wannabe husband delights in the Christmas Depot every single time we visit. I live for the Ralph Lauren and our daughter could camp out in the Fizzy's Land of Oz. Sure, some stores are expensive, but all in all the shopping is reasonable. Ask anyone how to get to some excellent antique stores and they're happy to direct you.

Bring your kids! The Adventure Zone is excellent and has good timeframes to fit into your day. There are tons of activities for the kids to do with you, or on their own. Bowling is fun! Carriage ride! Swimming lessons? They have it all. Our daughter has favorite Greenbrier babysitters that she requests when we go. Not to sound rude, but these are literally the sweet little ladies working in the florist, catering, act and they are happy to take your little ones on any activity you'd like, or hang out in your room/cottage/house.

Okay, I have rambled on forever... the very reason I never attempted a review. I guess this reads like a paid ad. I'll give a few negatives to offset my glimmering assessment: The in-room coffee machines are awful. They need to be upgraded badly. The Singers are awful, they need to go. Ten minutes has passed, so I guess that's all the negatives I have. Thank you, Jim Justice, for rescuing this jewel and for breeding a sense of community into everything that IS The Greenbrier. It is an American treasure.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms, but for authenticity, request an original room. The cottages are fabulous...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

This is a lovely hotel and overall, I had a great experience. My only disappointment was that the evening we arrived there was only one restaurant open (steakhouse) and it was too busy for us to get a table. This was a little frustrating because there were no other options other than room service. We ate at the bar and found the bartender to be amazing and her service and martinis were the best ever. Never had a better peach martini! I ordered the special with risotto and it was a little on the raw side of al dente. Also, while the french press coffee was amazing, I had a latte the next morning and either the coffee was old or the beans were not the best because the flavor was off. Still loved the experience though.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Quality Inn Covington
Quality Inn Covington
#4 of 5 in Covington
3.5 of 5 stars 48 reviews

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!