Wheeling Island is one of my favorite casinos. You can always find $5 tables. The staff is friendly, the rooms in the hotel are nice and I've been pretty lucky gambling there.
1. The hotel accommodations are very nice. We've stayed there 3 times and always were impressed. We usually get the stay and play package. The rooms are large. The beds are comfortable and it's always clean. Our only problem is that sometimes when we want to stay they have been all booked up. When that happens we always stay at the Springhill Suites in Wheeling (which is actually even nicer).
2. Cheap $5 dollar tables. This makes it worth driving from Columbus for.
3. Betting on the greyhounds races is a fun and can be an inexpensive diversion. It's a great way to make your bankroll last if you weren't that lucky in the casino.
4. The food at the buffet and even the food court is pretty good. We ate at the buffet for breakfast and the custom made omelet station was awesome.
1. It is a smoking casino. It can get pretty bad if you have smokers all around you at the blackjack table.
2. It is pretty far to drive. It's about 2 1/2 hours (over 125 miles) from Columbus.
3. The casino is on the small side. There are plenty of slots to play, but finding a seat at one of the table games can be difficult sometimes.
Overall I'll keep coming back because the tables are cheap and for whatever reason I win here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- There’s no better place for non-stop gaming action than Wheeling Island Hotel-Casino-Racetrack in West Virginia. Equipped with the best in slots, table games, world class hotel accommodations and live entertainment, Wheeling Island helps you get away and beat the odds. The resort also features the # 1 Greyhound track in the United States (based on purses paid), making it your best bet for a gaming getaway. So, plan your weekend at Wheeling Island today. Your greatest gaming adventure awaits you. ... more less