“Nice staff-weathered casino hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wheeling
Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack
Save Saved
You added Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack to your Saves list
1 South Stone Street, Wheeling, WV 26003   |
Ranked #3 of 8 hotels in Wheeling
Dublin, Ohio
“Nice staff-weathered casino hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Be aware this is a heavy smoking casino! We were able to get a non smoking room- which was a nice size- semi comfortable bed.. Our room did not smell like smoke as I've read in other reviews. The bedding had a few old soiled spots ( which was clearly ignored by the maid staff) - the window shades had marks ( almost looked like someone had wiped their dirty hands on them) - this was taken care of promptly upon our complaint. The staff seemed very nice and courteous. It is an older casino on a slow economical area. Don't expect 5 star!! We had fun playing the slots/tables and betting the dogs... May or may not get a room here again but overall we had fun.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

223 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Canton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed for one night in April 2013. The room appearance was nice and clean but smelled terrible of stale smoke. I was also to have a king bed and ended up with two queen beds due to a error on their part. This was also supposed to be a non-smoking room. I told the front desk when I checked out and she said I should of said something and they would of put a machine in to rid the smoke odor. The room should of not smelled to begin with and housekeeping should of taken care of the problem when they cleaned the room earlier. This hotel has no pool or hot tub or any other extras. For the price, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The staff used rude tone and talked down to a customer ahead of me in line then had to ask their supervisor to answer a simple question about bags and check-in times. However, the security staff were helpful and friendly. Non-smoking room stunk badly of cigarettes! Overall disappointing stay.

• Stayed June 2013
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We were passing through Wheeling for one night, after being near Morgantown earlier in the day. Our intent was to stay here and enjoy some gaming before going to bed and continuing home the next day. I attempted to book a room here online and by calling... Only to be told no rooms were available. We ended up staying at another hotel property 2 miles away. We visited the casino for dinner and some gaming action 6/8/2013. I'll agree with other reviewers that the area itself is not welcoming, and in dire need of some attention. Had the signage for the casino not been marked as well, I would have gotten outta there very quickly. However, once in the casino I was pleasantly surprised. As a frequent visitor to Vegas, Lawrenceburg Casinos and the Horseshoe and Hollywood brands popping up in OH - I was expecting very little based on reviewers here.

First, we arrived to find that there was vacancy at the hotel...mildly frustrating since I would have preferred to stay here out of convenience. The staff at the hotel check in/player services desk were quite friendly...though over worked. Saturday night, 8pm and there were only 3 of them...lines were long, so the wait was a bit rough. Dealers were lively and very friendly. Only one Blackjack dealer seemed to have attitude...otherwise, everyone seemed to be having a good time.

I don't understand the logic with local casinos and the obscene amount of BJ tables. Not everyone wants to play that. There was at least two three card poker tables, a let it ride table, a four card poker table, one roulette and one craps table that were up and running. There was plenty of room to play BJ, but a seat at any of the other games was hard to come by. No Pai Gow (which is hard to find in any of the local casinos - I prefer the slow loss of this game), no Hold'em versions either. I liked the fact that there were tables for every budget...it's rare to find a $5 or $10 minimum at local spots, but they were available the few hours we were there. Slots were mildly kind...no big wins, but a few small ($25-$40, max bet penny slots) wins that combined, off set the table loss we had. All in all, for a few hours play, we lost $40 between the two of us...and I can easily drop that at my local movie theater.

We had dinner at The Buffet, which was the only big loss of the night. For $19 a person, a bit more variety and consistency would have been nice. Food selection was minimal and overall, not very good. Some chicken was tender, but other pieces were tough. Steak was not edible, and most of the side dishes were over cooked or bland. The dessert selection was a joke. Drink service was non existent, and not one dish was cleared from our table. I've had way better food and service at my local buffet restaurant for less!

The ladies room was down right appalling. While the sinks and counter tops were clean, the stalls and toilets looked as though they hadn't been touched for days.

Overall, we had an enjoyable evening. I would not make a special trip just to game, but if I were in Wheeling again, I might consider another visit. Though I will probably not give their restaurants another chance. I can't rate them as average, they are below average...hence the poor rating.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Yorktown, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is not a beautiful hotel inside and doesn't have much curb appeal outside. Buildings in the area are very old and in need of a facelift. However; the good outweighs the outward appearance.
The employees are very friendly. The buffet is outstanding and can compete with the best.
My comped room was extremely clean with a very fresh smell, and no overpowering odors. There were some minor signs of dating among some excellent updates. Very nice room with a view of the mountains.
I consider the comps of rooms, casino credit, and meals to be unbeatable at this casino. The slots are the loosest of any casino I have visited. Definitely worth the trip.

Room Tip: Not sure what other rooms are compared to mine. My room was very good.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Hilliards
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Went down on a weeknight for a fun getaway and it was a very good deal. Rooms are only $79 a night on a weeknight and they were very nice and clean. Had a great time at the dog races. It was convenient as you could play and then just go up to your room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
OHIO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

we booked our room the night before we left, due to an unexpected opportunity to get away. Our room was $44 a night , including tax. From the moment we checked in, we were impressed. Check was maybe 5 minutes! The staff was friendly, helpful and easy smiles. They even helped with our players cards, Our room was on the top floor, king comfy bed, very clean & smelled great (non-smoking). We didnt hear hallway noise, neighboring rooms, anything, just quiet at the end of a long gambling session. We had both the breakfast & dinner buffets while we were there, and both we re good. I just preferred the breakfast one with the omelet stop. The gambling was good & we were able to actually play on machines which is a plus for us!!Highly recommend this hotel for a nice little getaway from reality!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack? Share your experiences!