“Casino Visit, Stayed Elsewhere” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wheeling
Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack
You added Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack to your Saves list
1 South Stone Street, Wheeling, WV 26003   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Wheeling
Columbus, Ohio
“Casino Visit, Stayed Elsewhere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We were passing through Wheeling for one night, after being near Morgantown earlier in the day. Our intent was to stay here and enjoy some gaming before going to bed and continuing home the next day. I attempted to book a room here online and by calling... Only to be told no rooms were available. We ended up staying at another hotel property 2 miles away. We visited the casino for dinner and some gaming action 6/8/2013. I'll agree with other reviewers that the area itself is not welcoming, and in dire need of some attention. Had the signage for the casino not been marked as well, I would have gotten outta there very quickly. However, once in the casino I was pleasantly surprised. As a frequent visitor to Vegas, Lawrenceburg Casinos and the Horseshoe and Hollywood brands popping up in OH - I was expecting very little based on reviewers here.

First, we arrived to find that there was vacancy at the hotel...mildly frustrating since I would have preferred to stay here out of convenience. The staff at the hotel check in/player services desk were quite friendly...though over worked. Saturday night, 8pm and there were only 3 of them...lines were long, so the wait was a bit rough. Dealers were lively and very friendly. Only one Blackjack dealer seemed to have attitude...otherwise, everyone seemed to be having a good time.

I don't understand the logic with local casinos and the obscene amount of BJ tables. Not everyone wants to play that. There was at least two three card poker tables, a let it ride table, a four card poker table, one roulette and one craps table that were up and running. There was plenty of room to play BJ, but a seat at any of the other games was hard to come by. No Pai Gow (which is hard to find in any of the local casinos - I prefer the slow loss of this game), no Hold'em versions either. I liked the fact that there were tables for every budget...it's rare to find a $5 or $10 minimum at local spots, but they were available the few hours we were there. Slots were mildly kind...no big wins, but a few small ($25-$40, max bet penny slots) wins that combined, off set the table loss we had. All in all, for a few hours play, we lost $40 between the two of us...and I can easily drop that at my local movie theater.

We had dinner at The Buffet, which was the only big loss of the night. For $19 a person, a bit more variety and consistency would have been nice. Food selection was minimal and overall, not very good. Some chicken was tender, but other pieces were tough. Steak was not edible, and most of the side dishes were over cooked or bland. The dessert selection was a joke. Drink service was non existent, and not one dish was cleared from our table. I've had way better food and service at my local buffet restaurant for less!

The ladies room was down right appalling. While the sinks and counter tops were clean, the stalls and toilets looked as though they hadn't been touched for days.

Overall, we had an enjoyable evening. I would not make a special trip just to game, but if I were in Wheeling again, I might consider another visit. Though I will probably not give their restaurants another chance. I can't rate them as average, they are below average...hence the poor rating.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Yorktown, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is not a beautiful hotel inside and doesn't have much curb appeal outside. Buildings in the area are very old and in need of a facelift. However; the good outweighs the outward appearance.
The employees are very friendly. The buffet is outstanding and can compete with the best.
My comped room was extremely clean with a very fresh smell, and no overpowering odors. There were some minor signs of dating among some excellent updates. Very nice room with a view of the mountains.
I consider the comps of rooms, casino credit, and meals to be unbeatable at this casino. The slots are the loosest of any casino I have visited. Definitely worth the trip.

Room Tip: Not sure what other rooms are compared to mine. My room was very good.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Hilliards
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Went down on a weeknight for a fun getaway and it was a very good deal. Rooms are only $79 a night on a weeknight and they were very nice and clean. Had a great time at the dog races. It was convenient as you could play and then just go up to your room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
OHIO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

we booked our room the night before we left, due to an unexpected opportunity to get away. Our room was $44 a night , including tax. From the moment we checked in, we were impressed. Check was maybe 5 minutes! The staff was friendly, helpful and easy smiles. They even helped with our players cards, Our room was on the top floor, king comfy bed, very clean & smelled great (non-smoking). We didnt hear hallway noise, neighboring rooms, anything, just quiet at the end of a long gambling session. We had both the breakfast & dinner buffets while we were there, and both we re good. I just preferred the breakfast one with the omelet stop. The gambling was good & we were able to actually play on machines which is a plus for us!!Highly recommend this hotel for a nice little getaway from reality!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Fowler, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Spend a Thursday evening there with my husband for a quick get away. Although the decor of the room is very nice, it smells horribly of smoke! I had asked for a non-smoking room but due to the players club rate I was getting I was told that wasn't available. I took Febreze and tried to spray the curtains and room while we were in the casino but when we came back it was just as bad. Have stayed at this location previously and didn't have a smoking room.

Room Tip: Insist on a non-smoking room unless you smoke!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mansfield, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Rooms are nice size and clean and beds were very comfy.Very nice bathroom. TV doesn't have much of a selection. We got our room at a discount using players rewards from casino which was a great deal. Like the fact that can gamble and drink and never leave the building- just go straight to your room when done!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Spent a Thursday night/Friday at this hotel. It was sold olt, so there were a lot of people around. Check in was very quick and the employees were very nice and helpful. Our room, #705, we very nice. The rooms are large and spotlessly clean. Very happy with the clean part!
Very nice, roomy bathroom. The king size bed was fine but just average. The pillows were a bit lacking, but that was not a deal breaker. The hotel is attched to the casino, so that worked out well.
We had the buffet breakfast in the morning and it was very good. Plenty of choices, made to order omelets, all very good. I believe it was $9.95 per person and that price is every day.
The casino is also very nice. The employees were nice. The machines seemed rather "tight" but I did ok at the tables, so I made back what I had lost.
All in all, we had a nice, relaxing get away and would come back again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack? Share your experiences!