“great getaway for an overnight!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wheeling
Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack
You added Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack to your Saves list
1 South Stone Street, Wheeling, WV 26003   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Wheeling
OHIO
“great getaway for an overnight!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

we booked our room the night before we left, due to an unexpected opportunity to get away. Our room was $44 a night , including tax. From the moment we checked in, we were impressed. Check was maybe 5 minutes! The staff was friendly, helpful and easy smiles. They even helped with our players cards, Our room was on the top floor, king comfy bed, very clean & smelled great (non-smoking). We didnt hear hallway noise, neighboring rooms, anything, just quiet at the end of a long gambling session. We had both the breakfast & dinner buffets while we were there, and both we re good. I just preferred the breakfast one with the omelet stop. The gambling was good & we were able to actually play on machines which is a plus for us!!Highly recommend this hotel for a nice little getaway from reality!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Fowler, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Spend a Thursday evening there with my husband for a quick get away. Although the decor of the room is very nice, it smells horribly of smoke! I had asked for a non-smoking room but due to the players club rate I was getting I was told that wasn't available. I took Febreze and tried to spray the curtains and room while we were in the casino but when we came back it was just as bad. Have stayed at this location previously and didn't have a smoking room.

Room Tip: Insist on a non-smoking room unless you smoke!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mansfield, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Rooms are nice size and clean and beds were very comfy.Very nice bathroom. TV doesn't have much of a selection. We got our room at a discount using players rewards from casino which was a great deal. Like the fact that can gamble and drink and never leave the building- just go straight to your room when done!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Spent a Thursday night/Friday at this hotel. It was sold olt, so there were a lot of people around. Check in was very quick and the employees were very nice and helpful. Our room, #705, we very nice. The rooms are large and spotlessly clean. Very happy with the clean part!
Very nice, roomy bathroom. The king size bed was fine but just average. The pillows were a bit lacking, but that was not a deal breaker. The hotel is attched to the casino, so that worked out well.
We had the buffet breakfast in the morning and it was very good. Plenty of choices, made to order omelets, all very good. I believe it was $9.95 per person and that price is every day.
The casino is also very nice. The employees were nice. The machines seemed rather "tight" but I did ok at the tables, so I made back what I had lost.
All in all, we had a nice, relaxing get away and would come back again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Youngstown, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed here the weekend of March 1st and the check-in was fast (guess you have to time it right) We ate at both buffets (dinner and breakfast) and they were above average for buffets. The rooms were clean and updated. We stayed in a non-smoking room and was not bothered with cigarette smoke. Of course the casino was a different matter, they could install a better exhaust to draw some of the smoke out. So if you are really bothered by cigarette smoke this is not the place for you. The machines were very tight, and I did hear a alot of complains of no winners, but the casino still draws a crowd. We were treated well by all the employees, but the only ones that went up and above were the waiters and waitresses.

Room Tip: Go early to check-in between 3pm-4pm and eat at the buffets early they draw a big crowd.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stayed here overnight. The hotel room was very nice, very clean and updated. The casino is same old casino. I have visited here many times over the last few years and have never won anything at this casino. I have played many machines with different denominations--- the machines are very, very tight. My husband and I ate at the buffet and it wasn't that great. We were not charged for the room because it was comped. However I don't think we will be visiting here in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Wheeling, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I was a frequent guest at Wheeling Downs for years, so frequent that my status was a Stealth Player, over the years Wheeling Downs is notorious for giving you something and spoiling you, to just taking it all away. Everyone whose status was like mine or even Gold and Plat. would agree. The staff is very nice and friendly to me and the rooms were very nice. Never had a problem with the Hotel part of the casino, but I think they need to find a new General Manager, to put good things into action and keep it that way. I used to get free rooms and all kinds of coupons. Spent ten tons of money there over the years, and I fell into hard times and within two months they slowly cut me off from everything. I do not care if I ever go back there. I hear there is a new General Manager coming in, I have lots of friends there, I'll see what they think about the changes and how they treat the customers and then I'll decide if I wanna go back. Good luck to all who play their slots!!!! :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack? Share your experiences!