“Decent place to have a good "Casino" get-a-way!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wheeling
Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack
1 South Stone Street, Wheeling, WV 26003   |
Ranked #3 of 8 hotels in Wheeling
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
“Decent place to have a good "Casino" get-a-way!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We have stayed at this facility at least 14 times in the past 4 years and have never had a problem. The room(s) have always been clean, well appointed and the staff is quite friendly and helpful. They recently closed the Breezeway Cafe which was a menu style restaurant with a nice varitey of food items. That is a real disappointment!!! Now the only choice is a "food court" type of area where deli type sandwiches and pizza are the main fare. There is also a buffet which serves breakfast until 10:30 AM and general food items the rest of the day until around 8 in the evening. The food is pretty much typical "buffet fare" but it is usually well stocked. Some of the food items are rotated on a daily basis. As for the casino, like most people, I wish the slot payout was better but as the old saying goes: "If you can't afford to loose it, just don't go". Unless one is there on the week-end or holiday you can usually find your "favorite" game or slot machine available. There is a small non-smoking area so be prepared to "smoke exposure" if table games are your preference.

Is this a 4 or 5 star hotel? No, but it is, in my opinion, a good solid 3.5 star and for a quick get-a-way couple days, one should have a lot of fun. If you sign up for their players club and build points, room, food comps and free play are available depending on point accumulation.

If booking via the 800 phone number, a long wait is usually the norm. Perhaps they should add more operators.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms overlook the Ohio River's west side channel and the odd number rooms overloo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

197 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

After a whole year of staying away we decided to celebrate the wifes birthday for December. Huge mistake right there, December birthdays were already celebrated early in the month. We visited on the 6th and were too late????
The problem was we quit going because of numerous problems with the employees, along with other issues. When we were no longer going and having a good time, we just stopped. I received a mailer from Wheeling recently and sounded very sincere with some freeplay and buffets so we decided to return. Wife did not receive a mailer even though she used to be a Plantinum Player. Their reply at the players club desk? Oh, you can both use the one book, There are plenty of coupons in one book to use. Like she did not exist at all.
We tried to overlook this, ate a very good lunch buffet, gambled heavily for over an hour with and without the card but it was soooooooo tight and everywhere I looked I just saw a lot of glum faces. Same old, same old.
All we can say is it was another bad experience, not able to sit for longer than 15 minutes at one machine and it robbed us constantly. Maybe won a nickle here and nickle there, punch out and try another one until we were soooo tired and broke that we just left and my wife had one horrible birthday.
We threw our cards in the trash and headed to the nearest casino and she had a blast. She didnt win much but had so much fun and some birthday freeplay to use all month!!!! That made up for our miserable morning and early afternoon.
We have a lot of good memories from years gone by of wheeling but now it is very frustrating just to be able to play.
Staying in Pa!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Parkersburg, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Not at all pleased with your staff working the 800 number. My husband and I both called Tuesday evening 12/4/12 and an "Ashley" answered the phone on both of our tries at calling to book a room. Ashley was extremely rude, unprofessional, and told both of us there weren't any rooms available for the entire weekend. I had other questions for her that she did not answer, and proceeded to hang up on me! My husband tried calling again this morning and got a very nice gentleman this time, and needless to say....we got our room booked. Why did this Ashley person lie to us both saying the hotel was booked when it wasn't at all?? I think you need to screen your employees a little better or something. HOW RUDE!!!

Room Tip: Good luck calling to book a room
Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Our family was looking for something close enough to go and do for the evening and my kids love staying in hotels! Low and behold you can take kids to the dog races.. What kids do not love dogs? The hotel was offering a room with 25.00 slot pay for 129.00. The room has a great polynesian theme.. very roomy and spacious. The only downside was the location of the towels above the toilet.. you can imagine where some of those ended up while trying to grab one in the shower, air/heating units in the wall little louder than normal. All things that would not stop me from returning. The kids also loved the pizza after the races.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed a Saturday night at Wheeling Island as a quick getaway to relax. We paid for the room package that came with free play. Our room was on the 5th floor and was spacious for a casino hotel. We were given a non-smoking room like we had requested, so we were happy with the accommodations. We didn't gamble very late, so I wondered if we'd be awakened by hallway noise, but we both slept well. We ate at the sandwich place in the food court and the food was fresh and fast. We both left ahead from playing the slots, and were more relaxed from the getaway. Although other reviewers have mentioned long wait times to check in, we did not have that problem and only had a few people in front of us at the registration desk. Overall, we'd be happy to go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Me and my wife took my mother in-law down for an over night stay(weekend). After playing the slots for few hours my mother-in-law went up to bed in the hotel room. Me and wife stayed down playing for a other few hours. We went up to bed in the hotel. When we got their around 10-11 am we could hear this load A%% noise coming from outside the window of our room. We called down to the front disk and ask them what it was? They said it was the live music band. Then said it was nothing they could do about but it,And they would be playing until 2 am. So we could not sleep until after 2am. They did not care about us sleeping and when I spoke to the daytime person at check out she did not help us out with and type of compensation for our troubles .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Lackawanna, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I,ve been coming to Wheeling for 20 years. Since the Casino Hotel opened I've never payed
for a room. I live in Buffalo, NY & absolutely love their dog racing, but unfortunately their
hosts are the worse I've ever seen. Had trips set up where there suppose to be taken care of
by the host. I check in after driving 4 hours, & nothing is done, & I have to chase down a host
to comp my room. I've talked to the Director Of Players services, I get a new host, & have the same problem. Had a trip scheduled for 10-26-12, free room of coupon. Needed a free room 10-27-12, called the director 3 times, left 3 messages, checked if she was in, which she was.
No return call. So now after 20 years of coming to Wheeling Island, you'll never have to worry
about calling me again! I'm done don't waste either of our times. Thanks, Larry R Buffalo, NY

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack? Share your experiences!