“Didn't sleep a wink!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wheeling
Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack
You added Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack to your Saves list
1 South Stone Street, Wheeling, WV 26003   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Wheeling
Bridgeport, WV
“Didn't sleep a wink!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

The room was very clean but extremely uncomfortable. The bed was very hard. For the price, I would expect a much more comfortable mattress. But to make it much more worse, the pillows were as flat as month old soda. I had to double over two just to get my head a few inches off the bed. And lastly, the a/c unit sounded old and rickity. It worked fine, but was very loud. My wife and I wont be staying here again. I've stayed at much less expensive hotels and been much more comfortable. I would like to mention though, that we had a wonderful meal at "The Pointe" restaurant in the hotel. The steak was fabulous.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Magnolia, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

been going to wheeling for 2 years.It is really going down hill. It is dirty & outdated. the payout is bad & you can never get a room there unless you are a "high roller" even if you want to pay for it. Handicap access is "you are on your own" so to speak. Since the closing of the bottom half due to "insurance issues due to flooding:" the whole layout of the casino is hodge podge. The food is gross & I am not picky about my food at all! I am done going there I actually was so upset on 3/24 that I threw away my players card. Go to the rivers casino in pittsburgh for a more " upper scale " environment that is clean & entertaining!

Room Tip: have no clue - could never get a room!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

The casino discontinued the shuttle service to other area hotels. I guess this was done in hopes that guests would book a room at the casino. Stayed across the river at the Hampton in $150 a night instead of the $200 + at the casino. The buffet was $20.00 all you can eat which was OK. Service was good at the buffet. The only major problem was the upper bar at the dog track. Only staffed with one bartender who seemed completely stressed out and was in need of some help. When we asked for a drink it was like she was so overwhelmed that I felt sorry for her. The bar was totally full and she did her best to provide the best service but when she had to run to the kitchen to pick food up for the patrons I think this is horrible customer service.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

The CEO of the Wheeling Island Hotel and Casino should be absolutely ashamed of himself. What a poorly run establishment in every way shape and form. Wheeling Island used to be one of my favorite places to visit. However it has really gone down hill over the last 3 or 4 years. I have never in my entire life seen a place so understaffed. Let me start by describing my recent visit.

First, I pull up to the valet parking in front of the hotel. I wait for nearly 15 minutes as 2 valets walk back and forth past me trying not to make eye contact. So finally I get out to ask why I am being ignored, only to be rudely told that the valet lot was full. If the lot is full that isnt a problem, but it sure would have been nice if the valets had told me when I pulled up in stead of avoiding me for 15 minutes. There were two valets working on an extremely busy Saturday night.

Once I finally found a spot to park and got to the desk, I had to wait another 20 minutes to check in, because someone thought it was a good idea to combine the hotel check in desk with the Players Club Customer Service. Finally I get to my hotel room which reeked of smoke.

So my wife and I go to the Terrace Room for dinner and to watch the dog races. There had to be close to 1000 people in the Terrace room that night. The bar had 1 bartender who looked like she was about to have a nervous breakdown. We got a table and waited an hour before I finally gave up on getting a waitress. I actually had to go down to the concession stand, buy food and beverages and bring it upstairs to my table on my own. Yes I basically had to bring my own food to a restaurant. I came to find out there were only two waitresses on staff to serve the entire Terrace room of around 1000 people. So on a busy night they had 2 waitresses 3 Dog Track tellers and 1 bartender.

So after we finished our dinner of nachos and cheese, we head down to the casino. Could not get a drink the entire night. There was one girl who was walking around taking drink orders, and she appeared to be the only one in the entire casino. There was 2 bars open. Each of them with 1 bartender. The Castaways bar which was closest to where we were playing was closed despite a sign stating they were open for your convenience. Machines would freeze up and it would take forever for you to get someone to service the machine.

The hotel in this complex is still nice, but even it is going down hill. The rooms are nice, but this is the first time I have been there and had a room smell the way it did. The room and hallways are starting to look a little run down.

At any rate, please do not stay here. The only way to get Wheeling Island back to the way it used to be is to bring in an entire new management staff that knows how to run a business. The Rivers, the Meadows, and the Mountaineer are all far better options at this point. This will be my last trip to Wheeling Island.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Mansfield, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

We look forward to trips to Wheeling Island but today was the WORST and we won't be back! The so called remodel is a total joke! All your favorite machines are gone and in their place are new machines with crappy payouts. The Buffett was DISGUSTING and that would be a undeserving compliment! for $19.99 for lunch one would expect to find something good to eat... But it was all GROSS!! Tasteless, overcooked, dried out, etc, The must have lost the air purifying system cause the whole place wreaks of smoke!! And now smells like a ashtray! Save yourself some time and money. Choose another casio for your day of gaming. What once was great is now a total craphole!!! stayed in room 525 and the entire tub was lined with black mold. SUPER GROSS!!!

Room Tip: Good luck finding a mold free room!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Frankfort, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

I checked in the night before, asked for a 4:00 am wake-up call, was going to shower but could not get the shower to work at all, I reported this to the desk, was told they could give 10% discount..by the day shift manager, I told her I shouldn't have to pay period. I would welcome a call from the owners or managers at higher level or E-Mail..

Room Tip: Ck shower first, stay away from elevator's they are noisey
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Stayed at this hotel right after Christmas 2011. Checked in early (@2pm) with minimal wait. Hotel desk and Player's club are the same spot, so I can't imagine what the wait would be if it was busy.

Hotel was sold out of king bedded rooms so we got a 2 Queen. Nice room - "island" motiff is a bit outdated, but it was muted, so not too bad. Bathroom was very nice with a sunken vessel-type sink and higher-end looking faucet (even though I don't think it was a Kohler).

On the down side, walls were VERY thin. We got to partake in the couple next door's early morning argument. Not a great way to wake up. Also, there were not enough places to plug in. Bathroom had two outlets for coffee maker, lighted make-up mirror, and hairdryer (guess I'm the only person who requires all three of these at the same time). Didn't see any outlets on the walls or in lampbase to recharge my phone either. Odd.

Overall, a nice hotel attached to a dull casino. Seemed very understaffed and empty for supposedly being sold out.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack? Share your experiences!