“No. Just don't bother.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wheeling
Mount Gambier
“No. Just don't bother.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

The photos don't truly reflect this ageing hotel which is now living off the former glory of past US Presidents having stayed there (40 years ago was the last Presidential visit, so nothing recent). As I approached the front door, the dusty frontage and unswept carpet mat announced that not a whole lot of extra mile cleaning goes on. The lobby is definitely looking jaded also apart from a rather lovely modern chandelier-type light.
Staff are ok but nothing amazing. Our room was nice looking on opening the door, but further inspection showed the bathroom to be annoyingly cramped and shabby (cracked bathroom sink, drippy taps etc).
Breakfast was probably the worst offering I have seen in many international trips; just pre-wrapped Danish pastries, orange juice and coffee taken standing up in the lobby. Not good enough.
Wheeling is a town which has seen hard times and it shows. We were lucky to find an independently operated restaurant open under the main roof of the hotel, as apparently there are not many operating in this struggling city. We were happy to partake of standard US food for dinner as it saved us the problem of roaming the streets. I did enjoy the restaurant's exhibition by a local photographer of local identities shot in black and white.
Don't go to Wheeling looking for a holiday experience: the locals are trying their best with the hard circumstances they find themselves in but it's still a charmless city I'm sorry to say.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Thank you for your review.

We would like you to know that we appreciate you staying with us. We are glad to see that you tried the Vagabond Kitchen.

Wheeling has had some hard years, but we are trying our best. We do have a lot of fun in Wheeling, between the Island Casino, The Highlands, Ohio Valley Mall, and of coarse all of the summer time festivals. It takes a bit longer than two days to see the charm of Wheeling. One of the nicest spots in Wheeling sits upon a hill overlooking the Ohio River and Wheeling Island. I suggest taking a deeper look into Wheeling and you might be surprised.

Thank you and safe travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Charleston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

It had been about 30 years since I stayed in this hotel and I think little has changed in the time, which is a nice way of saying that everything from the floor to the ceiling, including carpet, paint, furnishings, and fixtures hasn't been updated in 30 years. When I came to my room at about 9:00 pm and turned on the light switch nothing happened. From the dim light in the hallway I could barely see into the room. I propped my suitcase against the door and felt my way into the room, turning on a single light in the bathroom. There was no overhead light fixture and of the three rickety lamps in the room, only one with a dirty shade and a dim bulb will burn. As I type this I'm sitting in a room lit only by a single CFL bulb and a little light flickering through the bathroom door. The TV remote is dead, but I managed to feel along the side of the Seiki (yes, I'd never heard of that manufacturer either) TV to turn it on, but it too barely works. The bathroom sink is old and rust-stained. The tub enclosure is broken. I'd comment more on the cleanliness of the room, but (1) I'm afraid to look too carefully and (2) I'd need a flashlight. I will say I am typing this will free wi-fi service; so, that is one positive in this otherwise dismal hotel. There are lot of angry voices outside for a Tuesday night, but it appears there are a number of rough bars in the area and the night is young. I usually stay in other area hotels when on business in Wheeling, but decided to give the hotel a chance as it is convenient to some downtown government buildings at which I have business tomorrow. Frankly, I don't know how it remains in business as it reminds me of those derelict hotels that most governmental agencies regulated out of business long ago. The fact that it is unaffiliated with any chain and has a Better Business Bureau logo on its home page probably tells you all you need to know. I've dead-bolted the door; will rise as early as possible; check out of here as quickly as possible; and vow to never return. Finally, if this place is still in business 30 years from now, I'll be nearly 90 and, if living, will have gratefully have forgotten it.

Room Tip: If other hotels are booked in the area, either keep driving or sleep in your car. Believe me, the t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am unhappy to see this review, and that we could not make you happy. The only thing I can say is that we will continue to improve and that I feel bad for your experience. I notice that you do not have many nice things to say about the McLure Hotel or any other establishment according to your profile, and it shouldn't be that way.

Please enjoy the establishments around Wheeling and write some positive things about Wheeling, please.

Thank you for your time.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed at the McLure hotel while in town for a wedding. We had been warned by our friends that the hotel was a little outdated, but that is quite an understatement. This hotel is where dreams go to die.

The sheets looked dirty, the furnishing looked shabby, but even if I could get passed that, the customer service that me and my friends experienced was awful.

When we checked out on a Sunday, they ran our credit cards before giving visibility into the final cost of the stay. When I looked at the receipt they had overcharged by $60. They did this for EACH of the people in the wedding block. When we pointed it out they said that this couldn't be corrected until the manager was in on Monday because she would need to credit us back the difference.

I have been calling multiple times a day for the last few days trying to get in touch with said "Manager" and each time she/he is either not there or in "a meeting." I am assured that the manager will call me back, but as of right now-- no call back. It is the same for everyone else that was overcharged.

I can only assume it's because they don't want to honor the amount that THEY quoted us. Super Shady and very bad business.

Room Tip: Try to request a room away from the elevator or ice machine-- or you will be woken up each time some...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Hi Joanna,

I am sorry to see that no one took the time to give you a call to explain the charges. We usually have a set rate for our wedding/group guests that rarely changes. I am disappointed to see that no one took the time to call you back, this is not something we typically practice and I wonder if the message got to our General Manager. I don't know why there was an additional charge, but this should not have been, except if there was damage in the room. I will send you an email to try to resolve these issues with you personally.

Thank you for staying with us and hopefully in the future we can make a better impression.
River Falls, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

One evening last week (July, 2014) my husband and I had been away from home for ten days when we pulled off the freeway and into Wheeling with no reservation made ahead. We'd been staying in a different hotel almost every night of the trip, but all of those had been selected with care, using our PC at home. On this night we were "pioneering", we said, just driving till we were tired and grabbing a room when we got wherever. That is the feeble explanation of how we ended up sleeping in the McClure. We paid over $130 . . . including a Fourth of July week "booking fee". (The beautiful Marriott we stayed in the next night tacked on no such fee.)

The young man and woman at the front desk when we checked in were friendly, and that is the first and last good thing I can say about the McLure. Dirty, dingy, damaged, and damp...That about sums it up. Elevator looked like someone with an axe had gotten claustrophobic in there. Bathroom floor was gritty. But carpeting was the worst, actually soggy and tacky. My husband put on some clean white sweatsox and showed me a couple of hours later how soiled the bottoms were! I got about two hours' sleep between spells of feeling hot and clammy and cold and clammy; not sure why the AC didn't manage to dehumidify, as most do.

Our complimentary breakfast was an apple and a prepackaged muffin or roll, but I actually felt grateful that any food I ate there was not prepared on the premises.

Just a really bad choice for anyone, I would think. Plan ahead, and plan to avoid the McLure.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Thank you for your review of our hotel, unfortunately it is not the type of review we like to see.

From my experience in the hotel industry, people get their perceptions from their environment. I noticed that you like to stay at Marriott hotels. Marriott's are very nice hotels, but we don't want to be a Marriott brand, we want to be our own hotel. I don't believe we are dingy, dirty, or any of those things, but you have a different belief system that makes you think differently, but that's ok. We have many guests that enjoy our hotel, but we can improve. We will take your thoughts into consideration, because we want to be better.

Again, thank you for taking the time to stay with us. We hope that you have safe travels in the future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

FIRST WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL, EVEN IF IT MEANS YOU HAVE TO DRIVE AN ADDITIONAL 50 TO 60 MILES BEFORE YOU FIND A HOTEL. To begin this nightmare we dove up to the McLure Hotel, at first we sighted a few individuals sleep on the street and the neighborhood did not look good. Disregarding my wife's advice I decided to check in since it was 3:00 am. The gentleman at the front desk did not seem to know much but was able to provide me with information for our room. As we arrived to our room we noticed that the air conditioning was not working and the room was extremely hot. I went down stairs and was given another room, as I arrived to my second room the air conditioning was working great and we decided that the room would do. what a mistake. Upon further inspection our fridge was filthy, open can of food and food spatter all over. As we moved over to the bathroom we noticed that it too had not been clean. So as we look at the beds, at first glance they appeared nicely made and clean, but as we pulled the sheets back we found blood, YES THAT IS CORRECT "BLOOD STAINS, hair and what appeared to be snot on the sheets. We immediately checked out and drove another 60 miles to another hotel. NOT EVEN WORTH CALL THIS HOTEL. THE WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER SEEN. STAY AWAY. EVEN THE INDIVIDUAL AT THE FRONT DESK INFORMED ME THAT MANAGEMENT DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE HOTEL, JUST PROFITS. ONCE AGAIN DO NOT GO HERE.

Room Tip: "stay away at all cost"
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Sadly, this is one of the hardest reviews I had to respond to in three years of service. We thank you for giving the McLure Hotel a try, but we failed you and your family.

Upon further investigation, your room was accidentally marked as clean in our property management system. It is our fault for not taking the time to ensure that the room was actually clean. This can happen by inputting the wrong hotel room numbers. This does not happen very often, but it is possible. In my three years of guest service at the McLure Hotel, this was an extremely rare incident, but we take full responsibility for our mistake. We apologize to you and your family for your bad experience.

We do care about our property and our guests. We try to maintain a great hotel and we will continue to provide the best possible service for years to come. We hope that you accept our apology. Safe travels to you and your family, McLure Hotel Staff
Meadville, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

They gave a better room then what we had booked. Real nice room, really enjoyed our stay. Do tell other to stay there too. We had a real nice big room. I just wish they would update their rooms. That would be the only thing I would say.

Room Tip: We been there twice, good place to stay.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Thanks for staying with us.

We are glad that you enjoyed your room and the hotel. We are a very unique property with many amenities. Our central location is one of our best features and when your in this area if you want a very unique experience...we are the place for you.

Safe travels!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

The place was a little shabby, but the location was great and the rooms were clean and we had a nice view from the window. The staff was friendly. There is a restaurant scheduled to open later this summer but there are plenty of restaurants nearby (including those that deliver.0

It would be useful if they could add a Wheeling guide to the room. It is an interesting town to explore. (About 10 miles south is an Indian burial mound.)

Room Tip: We picked up a guide at the West Virginia Welcome Center and got the room for $68 per night.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Thank you for your comments!

We do have many great restaurants in this area. There is now one more restaurant that is in our hotel...named the Vagabond Kitchen! They are getting great reviews and there food is great. So, next time your in town stay with us again and enjoy our newly opened restaurant.

Safe travels!

Been to The McLure Hotel? Share your experiences!