“Adequate... could be better.” 3 of 5 stars

The McLure Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 Market Street, Wheeling, WV 26003   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wheeling
DuBois, Pennsylvania
“Adequate... could be better.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

This place does have a nice downtown location that allows you to walk to several nice bars/restaurants. In my two stays, the room was clean, the furniture seemed fairly new and fit the hotel. There was also a nice view out the window. The desk staff was friendly, helpful and had some restaurant suggestions. I am a fan of those single-cup coffee makers in hotels and that is what they had.

The negatives: bathroom dated, elevators seem to be the only thing they have not redone in several decades, the last guests food was in my fridge. If a hotel is going to put a rubber mat in a shower, they need to have staff clean under it. The heating/air conditioning system is strange and needs to be addressed. The bar exists, but leaves a lot to be desired in being inviting.

I think a lot of the negatives on other reviews can fairly be attributed to the gas workers that stay at the hotel. They seem indifferent, surly, and would be a reason to choose another bar if you want a drink.

mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Thank you for your feedback.

We appreciate your positive comments and we are taking note of other aspects that can be approved upon. We are almost done renovating the rooms and then we will start renovating our elevators. We have high hopes for the McLure Hotel and we want to keep the business going for Wheeling.

Thanks again for your comments and we hope that you will see us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Lakewood, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

My husband and I were going to be in Wheeling for a week. I called and made the reservations and they told me that they had weekly rates, so I was happy and thought that was so great....being away and saving money, how can I complain? The lobby was awesome and that was about all. The staff did not go out of their way to make you feel welcome, they didn't communicate with each other even. My husband and I were both sick the first couple of days and so we had the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. The day we both started feeling better, I went downstairs at 7:30 am and asked to be one of the first rooms to be cleaned and explained why. The desk clerk wrote it down, we leave and come back around noon and the housekeeper was on our floor just going to our room. She never got the message to do our room first, so I went downstairs and the person in charge of the housekeeping never bothered looking at the "special request" sheet that she had. The housekeeper did a great job that day and there was a lot of garbage etc. I was happy with her. The other days, we got people who didn't vacuum the floors, didn't clean or wipe the table and dirty towels. The a/c in the room worked at times, others it was blowing hot air, the fridge froze EVERYTHING and there was no hairdryer in the room. The vending machine on the floor served bottled ice water! I have no idea what is going on with things there and I understand things are old but there is no need for any of this. If we weren't paying the weekly rate, we would have left the hotel the first night. We were willing to give it a chance but it got worse and not better. The hotel is very centralized but that is all it has going for it. We were very disappointed and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

The staff and management of the McClure hotel are amazing. I have been staying in their long-term apartments, and have had a wonderful experience. All needs are met promptly and all encounters with staff always ask if there is anything needed. Very pleasant hotel!

Thank you Dagny!

You were a great guest and you are welcome back to the McLure Hotel anytime.

Thank you for your kind comments and good luck to you!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

The place smelled terrible like they were trying to cover up the smoke trapped in the carpeting. Guests were loud. The parking garage didn't seem safe. Floors, elevator and room were dingy. The fluorescent light in the bathroom had a crack/piece missing. Price per night didn't reflect quality of the stay.

• Stayed April 2014
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Thanks for your feedback.

We appreciate your comments, but they don't reflect the true McLure Hotel. We are not a new hotel, but we maintain the facilities quite nicely and many of our guests enjoy our hotel. Our hotel is not for everyone, because we are not your typical franchise hotel, which is probably one of the biggest reasons why our guests enjoy the McLure. We have a different character than franchise hotels, but we are clean, comfortable, reasonably priced, and we have history.

Again, thank you for your feedback and safe travels.
Wheeling, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

A wonderful staff greets you and the location is wonderful. It was an excellent choice for me being a nursing student because it's a few blocks from OVMC, WVNCC, and the various government buildings. it has great parking in the garage and is a very safe secure site

Room Tip: love the spiral stair case. pick the first floor!!! It's usually decorated for the holiday.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Thanks again for your review.

We are so happy that you decided to stay with us during your stay in Wheeling. Thank you for giving us a chance to accommodate you.

Have a great year!
New Martinsville, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

This hotel has accommodated me in so many ways. I attend the West Virginia Northern Community College, Wheeling Campus, as a nursing student. Having to be here for clinicals very early in the morning and staying up late at night has been challenging. By staying at this wonderful hotel, I have been able to accomplish my goal of being a nurse and being in a clean, and safe environment. Thank you McClure Hotel for your kindness.

Room Tip: The apartments are wonderful. Four of us stayed in an apartment . Thanks Michael for all the wonde...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Hi Theresa!

Thank you for the positive review! We are happy that you stayed with us and please don't be a stranger when you are in Wheeling.

Good luck in the future.
Malvern, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

The owners and management team deserve credit for trying to make the McLure a competitive and viable choice for travelers needing to stay in Wheeling. While the hotel touts it's history and the famous guests (Grant, Wilson, McCarthy, Nixon, etc.) who have stayed here, renovations in the 1970s have totally erased any architectural trace of that bygone era. I would classify the building as utilitarian, especially the facade. The circular lobby is decent (and interesting) and may be the only vestige from the original hotel. There is a display cabinet in the lobby which has old photos and mementos of the original McLure. The elevators appear old and have severely knicked walls. I also didn't see an Elevator Inspection sign posted inside the elevator. The halls are adequately lit and painted white. My king size bed room also included a sofa and armchair. The room was sizeable and much larger than most hotel rooms. The mattress was too soft for me (and nowhere near the comfort of midrange hotels such as Hampton Inn or Marriott) and the bed was lower than most hotel beds. The box spring was also squeaky. But for one night, it was ok. The bathroom sink faucets were old and leaked. Toilet and tub were new. Bath towels were too small and not comfortable. The view from my 6th floor room of downtown Wheeling and the Ohio River was nice. There are 7 floors in the hotel. I don't think the hotel was full, but I easily heard my noisy neighbors coming and going across the hall and my adjacent neighbor's occasional sounds. Despite all this, I still was able to get a good nights sleep. Parking is free and is in a parking garage directly behind and adjacent to the hotel. An interesting feature of the parking garage is that you can park on your floor level and enter directly into the hallway where your room is (garage is only five levels; you need to walk up for floors 6 and 7). Access from the garage is by your room key card; the area is under video surveillance. Overall, I found my room and the common areas to be clean. A sticker near the front entrance indicates that the hotel supports the Marcellus Shale work. Many of my fellow guests during my midweek stay that I saw in the lobby, bar, and elevator were Marcellus Shale workers. There is a bar on the lobby level. A restaurant on the lobby level is currently closed. The continental breakfast is very Spartan and consists of a few plastic wrapped baked goods and coffee. Staff and management personnel that I met were extremely polite and professional. Despite any shortcomings, I applaud the effort being made to make the McLure a solid choice for visitors. I would stay here again and especially at the $79 rate that I paid. Wheeling needs a good downtown hotel, and the McLure has the potential to BE that good downtown hotel. Within walking distance of the hotel are a few good restaurants, interesting historic architectural buildings, and scenic views of the Ohio River. Those who find American history interesting should consider spending a night at the McLure and explore the environs of downtown Wheeling.

mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Thanks for your feedback.

We enjoyed your comments very much. Wheeling has a lot of history with many high profile guests in the past, but we enjoy every guest that walks through our doors.

We hope to continue installing more fixtures that represents our history throughout the hotel. One of the biggest reasons we are still here is because of guests like you, who enjoy a different experience.

Thank you again!

Been to The McLure Hotel? Share your experiences!