“Mclure review” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wheeling
Wheeling, West Virginia
“Mclure review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

A wonderful staff greets you and the location is wonderful. It was an excellent choice for me being a nursing student because it's a few blocks from OVMC, WVNCC, and the various government buildings. it has great parking in the garage and is a very safe secure site

Room Tip: love the spiral stair case. pick the first floor!!! It's usually decorated for the holiday.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Thanks again for your review.

We are so happy that you decided to stay with us during your stay in Wheeling. Thank you for giving us a chance to accommodate you.

Have a great year!

New Martinsville, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

This hotel has accommodated me in so many ways. I attend the West Virginia Northern Community College, Wheeling Campus, as a nursing student. Having to be here for clinicals very early in the morning and staying up late at night has been challenging. By staying at this wonderful hotel, I have been able to accomplish my goal of being a nurse and being in a clean, and safe environment. Thank you McClure Hotel for your kindness.

Room Tip: The apartments are wonderful. Four of us stayed in an apartment . Thanks Michael for all the wonde...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Hi Theresa!

Thank you for the positive review! We are happy that you stayed with us and please don't be a stranger when you are in Wheeling.

Good luck in the future.
Malvern, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

The owners and management team deserve credit for trying to make the McLure a competitive and viable choice for travelers needing to stay in Wheeling. While the hotel touts it's history and the famous guests (Grant, Wilson, McCarthy, Nixon, etc.) who have stayed here, renovations in the 1970s have totally erased any architectural trace of that bygone era. I would classify the building as utilitarian, especially the facade. The circular lobby is decent (and interesting) and may be the only vestige from the original hotel. There is a display cabinet in the lobby which has old photos and mementos of the original McLure. The elevators appear old and have severely knicked walls. I also didn't see an Elevator Inspection sign posted inside the elevator. The halls are adequately lit and painted white. My king size bed room also included a sofa and armchair. The room was sizeable and much larger than most hotel rooms. The mattress was too soft for me (and nowhere near the comfort of midrange hotels such as Hampton Inn or Marriott) and the bed was lower than most hotel beds. The box spring was also squeaky. But for one night, it was ok. The bathroom sink faucets were old and leaked. Toilet and tub were new. Bath towels were too small and not comfortable. The view from my 6th floor room of downtown Wheeling and the Ohio River was nice. There are 7 floors in the hotel. I don't think the hotel was full, but I easily heard my noisy neighbors coming and going across the hall and my adjacent neighbor's occasional sounds. Despite all this, I still was able to get a good nights sleep. Parking is free and is in a parking garage directly behind and adjacent to the hotel. An interesting feature of the parking garage is that you can park on your floor level and enter directly into the hallway where your room is (garage is only five levels; you need to walk up for floors 6 and 7). Access from the garage is by your room key card; the area is under video surveillance. Overall, I found my room and the common areas to be clean. A sticker near the front entrance indicates that the hotel supports the Marcellus Shale work. Many of my fellow guests during my midweek stay that I saw in the lobby, bar, and elevator were Marcellus Shale workers. There is a bar on the lobby level. A restaurant on the lobby level is currently closed. The continental breakfast is very Spartan and consists of a few plastic wrapped baked goods and coffee. Staff and management personnel that I met were extremely polite and professional. Despite any shortcomings, I applaud the effort being made to make the McLure a solid choice for visitors. I would stay here again and especially at the $79 rate that I paid. Wheeling needs a good downtown hotel, and the McLure has the potential to BE that good downtown hotel. Within walking distance of the hotel are a few good restaurants, interesting historic architectural buildings, and scenic views of the Ohio River. Those who find American history interesting should consider spending a night at the McLure and explore the environs of downtown Wheeling.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Keystone_Traveler
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Thanks for your feedback.

We enjoyed your comments very much. Wheeling has a lot of history with many high profile guests in the past, but we enjoy every guest that walks through our doors.

We hope to continue installing more fixtures that represents our history throughout the hotel. One of the biggest reasons we are still here is because of guests like you, who enjoy a different experience.

Thank you again!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

After reading several of the reviews was really worried. Stayed overnight for nailers game package. Room was very clean and accommodating. Front desk very polite and called to make sure we were fine. Hotel is old but who cares. Heating system could be quieter but slept well. Had a nice overnight stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JanetF8828ZG
Go Nailers! ; )

Thank you for staying with us during a Nailers game! We enjoy the fans very much.
Next time your in town and the ac is acting up, give us a call at the front desk and the maintenance staff will take care of that quickly.

There is one sentence in your review that stands out: "Had a nice overnight stay."
We try to give everyone of our guest's a nice stay, and we are happy when we succeed.

Thank you for your time.
Budds Creek
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

My stay was for one night (Tuesday) and it was great. The room was well decorated, comfortable, reasonably priced, clean and quiet. When I read other reviews, people commented that it was old. I actually thought it was "charming", not "old". They had complimentary coffee and danish, which was fine for me on this trip. The staff were all friendly and seemed to be working hard. By the way, the towels smelled good. That hardly ever happens!! And, I did see the guy working on folding the linens, so I know he was working hard. Please give him kudos, management. Anyway, my stay was good and I plan on staying again when I am in the area. I would choose it any day over the chain hotels.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Rachot7
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Sincerely, Thank you for the positive review.
Altoona, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

We has stayed here several years ago and were very disappointed in it current condition. We got a non smoking room and found cigarettes butts out in a glass in the room which smelled of smoke... We reported to front desk. They did not offer to switch us rooms or anything... The room besides that looked straightened up but not clean... Walls, floors, need a good scrub down not what website portrayed... Thick dust on inside of dressers... Just kept stuff in our suit cases... Beds awful... We can understand the cost to refurbish but inside elevator garbage and gum on carpet inside elevator... the Irish pub is misleading its neither Irish or pubby just a bar... Although the bartender over poured so badly that you could not drink our drinks at least this area seemed clean... It is ashame that this place has been let to go to pot... Instead of having a nice relaxing weekend we were left feeling grossed out

• Stayed February 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Kappie71
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thank you for your feedback.

Currently, we are renovating the hotel rooms by replacing the wallpaper and carpet. We hope to have this completed very soon.

We are sincerely apologetic for your experience here at the hotel. I will let the housekeeping staff know that they need to be more detail oriented. The housekeeper's are not perfect, but they try very hard. It is not easy cleaning 10 rooms in one day and sometimes details are missed. We can do better and we will.

I'm not sure what you were expecting by an Irish Pub, but it is a nice pub and we are sorry that it did not meet your expectations.

Next time your in town, ask for Michael Garey, Operations Manager, and I will do everything in my power to make your stay more enjoyable.

Thank you for your feedback.
Point Pleasant, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

I stayed here while attending a wrestling meet. It was the closest hotel. The room was in real need of updates. I understand that it is a historic hotel, I have stayed in many, but replace things that are broken such as tile etc. The sinks in the bathroom look dirty because of the many cracks. Again, this does not add charm. Cracked floor tile looks unsanitary. We had a handicap shower, not sure why, but it had loose tile. The room AC did not work. It was winter but the room was very hot and I like the noise of the AC. Street noise was heard. The parking was minimal for a truck. There was a restaurant attached to the hotel. Only one person waiting tables. Both breakfast and dinner, the waitress was very stressed and frustrated. For the money, I would not stay here again but would choose another hotel. This may have been a grand hotel at one time, but it is need of some major renovation to get it back to that grandeur, sorry.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thank your taking the time to give us your feedback.

Currently, we are replacing the wallpaper and carpet in each room. During the wrestling tournament in January we usually sellout and the handicap room may have been the only room that could accommodate you. Coincidentally, the handicap room is one of our largest room types, so it may have been based on the size of your family. Thank you for letting us know about the tiles, because you are correct and we need to replace them.

Hopefully, with the renovation we can meet your expectations and you would reconsider us again in the future.

Thank you for your review. Have a great summer.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wheeling
SpringHill Suites Wheeling
Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Wheeling/Highlands
Hampton Inn Suites Wheeling - The Highlands
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites WHEELING

Been to The McLure Hotel? Share your experiences!