“Scary” 1 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 Market Street, Wheeling, WV 26003   |
Ranked #6 of 8 hotels in Wheeling
“Scary”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I picked this hotel from the website. We parked out front to unload like we had been told to do. While my husband checked in I sat in our car with the doors locked. The scene from the street already made me uncomfortable. Once my husband came out he informed me the desk clerk told him its a good thing he's not a local because they can't stay because of a drug problem they had. We parked in the parking garage went to the elevator and the smoke smell began. We went to our room which didn't have an inside lock. It was very outdated and not worth the $150+ we were paying. My husband opened the large curtains which revealed glass doors to the sidewalk. The downtowns main street sidewalk. No thanks. We immediatly checked right back out. We drove about ten minutes to tridelphia. I recommend staying there!

• Stayed September 2013
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is just unfortunate that you had a negative experience with us.

Wheeling is a historic town and the buildings are not brand new by any means. We appreciate the historical value that Wheeling has to offer and many of our guests do the same. All of our guests have different opinions and we value each perspective individually. We are sorry that you do not feel positively about your stay and if there would have been anyway to solve your problems we would have done just that.

The issues that you pointed out could have been solved by our staff, immediately. Some things are out of our control, for example, smoking in the garage is out of our control as we do not ban smoking in the garage. I will talk to the front desk about keeping conversations private, but they did say they were discussing another situation and you must have only caught half of the conversation. We do not have drugs nor permit drugs in the property. We take this matter seriously and we do not play with any drug usage.

The room that you had is our new Jacuzzi room that was just built. Yes, one of the two Jacuzzi rooms are close to the street level, but that is common for any hotel. Just two days ago we had a guest say that they wished they lived in this room. So, it is just based on personal preference.

Again, I wish we could have presented you with our many alternative room types that would have made you feel more comfortable.

I think you for your review as we consider each view valuable to our business.

82 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reidsville, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed from August 15 thru 18th. We were back in Wheeling for my 50th class reunion and had not been back for five years. The hotel had the same class and charm it had when I was a young girl just a bit older. I had said, when I was a young girl, that some day I would stay at this hotel and was not disappointed. The staff was very helpful with directions, places to see, and things to do. I enjoyed talking to them and asking questions and not feeling it was a bother. They were more then willing to accommadate. Parking was plentyful and felt safe in the garage. The rooms were clean but the view from the window was not a pleasing site.Will stay here again if I get back to Wheeling in the future.The lobby was still breath taking and I loved the elevators (same as I remembered) Thanks for the memories!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for your review.

Your story reminds us why we are here at the McLure. We are here to give our guests those wonderful memories. We are here to serve you as if you were our family. I am very pleased that WE were so helpful and that you could stay here after all of those years.

The next time you are here remember to ask for a room facing the Ohio River, where the view is more appealing and relaxing.

Thanks again for your time and we hope to see you very soon.

Wheeling
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Made the reservation at the last minute...Very clean rooms in an older hotel, which had a lot of charm. Most rooms close to parking garage entrance, so no long walks. Needs more drink choices at Continental Breakfast (no tea or milk).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review of hotel.

It's a good thing that you pointed out that our hallways are not airport terminals. Our hotel is extremely easy to maneuver and accommodating.

I'm glad you mentioned our breakfast as we have just opened the restaurant Ali's Corner Café. They serve eggs, bacon, French toast and many other goodies. So, come back anytime to try out Ali's Corner Café.

Thank you again.
Harrisburg, Pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Yes, the hotel is dated. There are certainly newer places to stay in Wheeling. I have zero complaints about the hotel, though. The staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating. The rooms, though dated, are clear and very large. I had no concerns with the safety of the parking garage or the town. The take home here - its convenient and friendly, if you like that- stay here. If you have a problem with an out-dated room even though its perfectly clean and you have lots of space and an unexpected mini fridge - then stay somewhere. I stayed for four days.. thanks for the nice trip :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to give us your review.

We are excited to know that our guests enjoy a little bit of character in a property.
Our housekeeping staff works hard to make the rooms clean for the guest and they will appreciate your positive review for cleanliness.

We hope to see you back at the McLure very soon!
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

You might overlook this hotel because it is right in the middle of downtown Wheeling and if you do so, you're missing out on a good deal. My 9 year old daughter and I stayed here for 3 nights and although the hotel is older, it was a great experience for us. It is well-maintained and the hotel staff were very accommodating. We brought our bicycles up into our room on the 4th floor and the elevators were a bit small, but worked well for us. We also found that the continental breakfast is all sugary products (packaged donuts and cakes, coffee, and maybe 8 pieces of fruit) but we purchased some breakfast foods at the convenient store down the street and were fine after that. We were able to walk to Independence Hall and also start our adventure by taking a ride along the bike path next to the Ohio River. The parking garage was dimly lit, but we also found that my larger SUV fit into it very easily.
At no time during our stay at the McLure did we feel unsafe, threatened or uncomfortable. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review.

We are ESTATIC to hear about your stay. Downtown Wheeling has a lot to offer guests if one would stay for a couple of days. Not only is there a bike trail that goes to Pittsburgh, Pa, there are many other attractions around Wheeling: Oglebay Park, Grand Vue Park, Wheeling Suspension Bridge, Cabela's, and many other activities to enjoy.

Come back anytime and bring your bikes!
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Its reasonably a good hotel, with beds and breakfast as a much better alternative to stays near New Vrindavan. Forty-five minutes away from the temple and near the highways. I wish they took care of few issues of cleanliness and had a better restaurant with more choices. Staff are very good and we thoroughly enjoyed our couple of days stay there as we took three double bed rooms. I would like to go back and stay there next week again and even recommended to few of my friends and relatives to stay there. It is better place than trying a new place without knowing much.

I request hotel management to take care of few fixtures with proper fixes and maintain cleanliness. Also bring life to restaurant, please. We want you to succeed not fail. Good luck !

Room Tip: You might want to check the rooms before deciding to take the room ! Also take the room with a view...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review.

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the New Vrindavan. I have not been there myself but I hope to go during the Festival of Colors.

Thank you for your recommendations. We have already started to complete one of your recommendations by opening up the restaurant. We hope to have the restaurant open by the end of August. The cleanliness of the hotel is one of the most important aspects of any accommodation business and we will keep a close eye to detail. We appreciate all recommendations especially reinforced positive feedback.

The staff does appreciate you acknowledging their guest service and we will continue to serve our guests at a high level.

Come back anytime!
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Traveling through and took a chance with an older hotel with character. Thought the reviews might have been harsh, but the reviews were correct. We should have canceled the reservation and walked out. Carpets needed to be cleaned or replaced, very poorly lighted halls, parking garage was very dark & dirty, smelled old, and holes in the walls left from were pictures once hung. Slept on top of the covers with our own blankets and the loud hum of the A/C put us to sleep. Wifi did not work where we were located in the hotel. Upon leaving wanted to nominate for Hotel Makeover Show.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

We will take your recommendations into consideration. The details you have listed will be looked into carefully.

We are continuously getting better and we will make the necessary changes to make our guests stay as enjoyable as possible.

Thank again for your time.

Been to The McLure Hotel? Share your experiences!