“Hate to give a bad review, but...” 2 of 5 stars

The McLure Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 Market Street, Wheeling, WV 26003   |
Ranked #6 of 8 hotels in Wheeling
Gulf Coast
“Hate to give a bad review, but...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We were driving through and needed a place to stay. Wanted to stay in the town. Had read the reviews but hoped they were just harsh. But, really this place needed some cleaning. The little back elevator smells so bad, rip that carpet out! Maybe they are just short staffed, I don't know. The rooms were not that bad, just tired looking, old linens. It did feel clean though, but the carpet again was just shot. Overall, it was not terrible, but they really need to update it some. And, it is a shame someone renovated it in the ?80's? and shamed it so bad. Bring back the original historical façade. Well, we enjoyed the visit to the town and the friendliness of the staff, thanks.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
We appreciate you staying with us and thank you for your feedback.

The issues that you have listed does concern our staff and we are going to complete and resolve some of the problems you mentioned. Currently, we are planning on taking up the carpet in our garage elevator. I will personally go into the room you mentioned to take a close look at the carpet. We do try to keep our carpet as clean as possible, but some rooms will need closer inspection.

We do appreciate your kind words about our friendly staff and I will surely pass on the message. I hope you will give a chance in the future as we will continue to improve our property.

Thank you.

82 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Alliance, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Motel has a bar and restaurant. Lots of places very close by. Our room was clean and comfortable. Front guy was real helpful . Would reccomend. Also plenty to do and riverfront park was a very short walk away.

• Stayed June 2013
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Great news is what we like to hear.

You should come back to see us during our festival season in July and August.

Thanks again for your positive review.
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Though a little older, this hotel is well maintained and the staff were really great. The rooms are a little old but clean and worth the stay for your money, especially because of the location. It is few minutes away from the wheeling island casino and 20 minutes to the Golden Temple of Krishna. I forgot my camera battery and charger when I left the hotel and they were kind enough to mail it to me free of cost. The next time I visit wheeling, i would stay there for sure.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hello! Thank you for taking your time to write us a positive review.

We appreciate your kind words and I will let Cindy know that you received your camera accessories.

Please come back and see us when your in Wheeling.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here before and have no problems what so ever. Staff was excellent and very kind. If you needed anything or called for an extra pillow, they were right up. I don't understand why so many bad reviews. I'm even planning my wedding for next year and booked the McLure hotel for my reception, which I am really thrilled about!! They are not just about over night stays. It's located right in the center of all the wheeling attractions, convenient for out of towners to go the highlands or st Clairsville for shopping and plenty of places to eat. I would deffinetly recommend and friends of ours continue to use when they come in from out of town. Plus they are making improvements all the time! Two thumbs up McLure Hotel :)

• Stayed January 2013
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Your review is great and uplifting. We appreciate your enthusiasm about the hotel and the Wheeling area. Your review encourages our motivation to keep giving our guests the best service we can provide. We know your wedding will go great because we have continued to accommodate our much beloved wedding guests.

Thank you again for all of your encouragement and Congratulations!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

I would just like to say that I was very disappointed to hear the way. I'm assuming management speaks to employees. I was very pleased with the service. My room was cleaned thoroughly every day without complaint. The staff was very friendly and helpful. However, I overheard a "supervisor " speaking to staff member and pointing out everything wrong that she had done. I could not believe what I was hearing. Right or wrong no employees should have to be treated the way she was. Positive reinforcement is the appropriate way to get a positive response and not have disgruntled employees who hate their jobs and only do enough to get by. I would like to say they do a wonderful job and she be opensated for their efforts.

• Stayed April 2013
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

We appreciate your concern for the staff at the McLure Hotel. We are disappointed to hear that you only heard the negative comments about our employee. We always try to reinforce high quality work and, we completely agree with you about positive reinforcement. Every day we have to make sure that our employee's know what they do right and what they do wrong, which will ensure that our employee's learn from their mistakes. Feedback will guarantee the McLure Hotel's quality and create repeat guests. Thank you for your concern and I hope that you can rest easy, because we do our best to let the employee's know what a GREAT job they do for us and for our guests.

Please give us a call anytime if you would like to talk any further. Thank you and we hope you do not think that we are just negative nancy's at the McLure Hotel, because we all enjoy working at this hotel.
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This Hotel has seen better days.

I will say the actual rooms were decent. Though, we didn't have a hair dryer in our room. It was suppose to be part of the amenities.

Do NOT take the elevator from the garage. It smells like urine and I feel like they tried to cover it up with Febreeze. I avoided it - gross

The hotel desk staff was great except on our last day Sunday April 14, the women was rude and not helpful with directions.

I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we can better serve our guests.

We appreciate you noticing our rooms as we continue to make necessary changes and upgrades to provide our guests with a pleasant experience in Wheeling. You are correct that there should have been a hairdryer in your room. It is nof often but we do make mistakes and our staff would be more than willing to locate a hairdryer for you. We have extra hairdryers incase some are broken and they are located at the front desk.

We are taking a look at our garage elevator today to find out what the problem could have been.
We apologize for any inconviences that may have risen with the front desk. We will look into this matter and coach our staff to be more accommodating. Our goal is to be the best in guest service in all aspects. Thank you for complementing our other front desk agents.

We are a great hotel and worthy of a second chance. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope that you would reconsider if you are ever back in Wheeling.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Our stay only lasted 45 minutes! Upon arrival I did not feel comfortable. I was thankful I had my husband with me. The walk from the garage to the front desk seemed run down and just generally made me feel uncomfortable. When we arrived at the front desk we had to wait for the desk clerk to finishing chewing their dinner to be checked in. He however was very friendly and sent us on our way. When I stepped on the elevator my overall thought was that this place was probably very nice but has become very run down. When we stepped off of the elevator we were greeted with the overwhelming smell of smoke even though we were on a non smoking floor. As we walked into the hall we also realized that there was a party going on in the room across the hall. Due to the smell of the marijuana and the smoke literally coming out from under the door we went back to the front desk to be moved. The desk clerk apologized and moved us to another room. When we ented the second room it was filthy, there was a hole in the window frame, hair on the floor and hair in the bathtub. The furniture was gouged and broken. There were large scuff marks half way up the wall. There were too many holes in the walls to even count not to mention the missing wallpaper. We paid $122 to stay in a hotel that was one of the worst I have ever checked into. I wish I would have seen this site before we booked but we went into it blind. When we went back to the desk we were told that a manager would not be in until the next day and that they would have her call right away. By 6:00 pm the next day I had still not heard from anyone so I called them. The manager told me she hadn't had a chance to make it up to the room yet to inspect our complaints in the detailed letter we left for her. I was disappointed they didn't handle such a serious complaint with a little more urgency. We ended up staying at the Hampton down the street and it was AMAZING! It was $20 more but included a shuttle anywhere you wanted to go and an wonderful breakfast the next morning.

• Stayed February 2013
mgarey, General Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
I appreciate your comments as I view each and every one with the utmost importance.

I do recall speaking with you concerning your visit as well as following up with a letter of apology. It is my sincere hope that all of our guests have a positive experience while staying at The McLure Hotel.

I would like to address each of your issues: The McLure Hotel offers the convenience of a covered parking garage that attaches to the hotel. It disappoints me to hear that you felt uncomfortable walking in the garage as we do our best to keep up with the lighting as well as the condition of the garage. In addition we offer security cameras throughout the garage. Each floor of the garage is very well marked concerning the location of the elevators and the stairways.

As I mentioned in my letter I contacted the gentleman who was smoking in a non-smoking room. He was warned that if his behavior continued he would be asked to vacate the premises. I assure you The McLure Hotel does not permit the smoking of illegal substances. I am happy to report the guest heeded my threat and we had no more problems.

You mentioned that I did not answer your complaint with more urgency. I apologize to you but I take my job seriously. I have always told the staff to check their problems at the door as the guests do not need to hear our woes. I will make an exception and share with you the reason I did not respond first thing Monday morning to your complaint. My husband had been a serious car accident (weather related) and while you were checking in on Sunday I was at UPMC Presbyterian Hospital holding his hand while machines breathed for him. I stayed at the hospital all day Sunday and into late Monday afternon. Life does not stop because your heart is breaking, therefore I left his side and drove to Wheeling to work late into the evening hours. As I arrived at the hotel you were the first call I received.

You mentioned you were disappointed in the appearance of the room in which you entered. We are currently making our way through 170 rooms to take care of the issues you described.

I was happy to hear that your weekend was not a total loss and that our fellow hotel friends were able to accommodate you and your husband.

Been to The McLure Hotel? Share your experiences!