“A bit run down” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wheeling
Taylor Mill, Kentucky
“A bit run down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Everyone we met were very nice. The decor was a bit out of date but was clean. Location is great. I was a bit upset that I made the reservations a month in advance and requested a smoking room with a king bed. We got a non-smoking room with two double beds.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for your feedback.

We apologize that you were not able to receive the type of room you wanted. We are going through a high occupancy season and we are having a bit of trouble accomplishing all of our guests requests.

Again, thank you for staying with us and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed everyone at the hotel. Please come again and we will do our best to accommodate you in your requested room type.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reno
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Came into Wheeling late in the afternoon without a room reservation. Called just about every motel/ hotel in the area and everything was booked due to a boom in oil and gas drilling. The McLure had rooms and gave us a great rate, almost as cheap as a Motel 6 or Super 8. We really just needed a bed, so it was fine. The hotel is a bit dated and worn, but the room was clean. There was a lingering smell of cigarette smoke and mustiness. The staff was very helpful. The hotel is right downtown and offers free parking in the parking garage. It seems like the hotel caters to the oil and gas workers, who rent by the week or longer. Not really a problem for us, but it could get a bit noisy I imagine, I would stay there again in a pinch, but would prefer something a bit nicer. The Metropolitan City Grill around the corner was recommended by the hotel, and served a great NY steak. Just a couple of blocks from the riverfront, which was a nice walk with some pretty views.

Room Tip: I always ask for a room away form elevators and ice machines.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for you review. We welcome all opinions so we can approve for your next stay.
Please come back anytime. Thanks again for staying with us at the McLure Hotel.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I am in town for a funeral with my 2 little girls and I chose the location since it is easy to get off and on I-70. The other reason is to see a historic hotel that used to be the happening place in town when celebrities stay. I booked the room on Hotwire for $84 a night. On checkin, I got the receipt and the room seems to be $60, which took my by surprise a little bit. Looks like Hotwire had just got a good deal from me. Not the hotel's fault but I am already having a bad start.
The elevator from the garage to the hotel lobby is very old and small. When we get out, we walked through a hall way to get to the front desk. On our way, we walked through the laundry room, with the door wide open, and severl other utilitiy rooms with doors open. The carpet is old and dirty looking.
I can still feel the old world charm in the lobby, except everything 'looks' old and dirty. the carpet and tiles are of good quality, only old and not very well scrubbed. The front desk employee is very polite and helpful and changed my room to a King size bed upon my request. The room is a good size, all the furnitures are updated. The bathroom sink looks like the kind of material you would find in a motel, but it is very clean with proper amount of clean, old towels.

When we come back at night, there are some idle people hanging around near the entrance. Quite a few vehicles in the garage are covered with dust. On the way back I saw a big billboard of McLure Hotel saying the extended stay rate is available. I am not judging anything. But if I see "Extended Stay", I stay away. I know it is a safe place, but I made sure to hold on tight to my girls' hands.

This hotel really needs some serious updates. And of course it is a catch-22 situation. with its current condition, it won't make enough money for substantial new improvement. With less-than-satisfatory performance, how can its owner justify the investment? That's too much for a customer like you and me to worry about. and I say you are better of staying in a clean, newer Super 8 or Comfort Inn in a better part of town.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for staying with us at The McLure Hotel. We fully appreciate any guests opinion or feedback.

At The McLure Hotel we take pride in providing our guests with a comfortable and safe accommodation. Our hotel is safe property, and to insure our guests safety we have taken the precaution of 24 hour surveillance-a step that should be taken at all properties.

I would like to address your problem with the on-line travel agent company, which really isn’t a problem at all. The $84 rate is a discounted rate that is not offered very often. The amount on the registration card is a misprint and would not even matter to you, since you paid on-line travel agent.

It is true that The McLure Hotel is a historic hotel in a historic town. We feel that our historic background coupled with our architecture brings a different experience for our guests. I feel that our spacious hotel rooms, historic background, accommodating staff and covered garage gives us an edge over the typical Super 8 or Comfort Inn.

Lastly, We have been having many business travelers staying with us and this is why we offer the extended stay rates. Additionally, these business travelers are accustomed to working in the mountains and hills that will make their vehicles dusty.

Again, we sincerely thank you for reading our response and we hope these insights give you and other guests an incentive to stay with us again. We always welcome our guests back with our best hospitality.
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

This hotel is in downtown Wheeling, which could be a nice little town with a little upkeep. Anyhow, I stayed at the McLure on my way East on highway 70. It got a 3.5 review, so I decided to stay. However, when I arrived, there was a bullet hole in the elevator to take me from the parking garage to the lobby and it made me a little afraid of being in the hotel alone. The front desk staff was nice and the lobby was quite clean, but when I got to my floor, ALL of the hallway carpet was soaking wet, like they had just been cleaned. The entire place smelled of cigarette smoke and my bathroom was incredibly dirty (the toilet, sink, floor, and shower hadn't been cleaned). I talked to a front desk woman and she told me that none of the rooms were clean and that I could wait another 2 hrs if I wanted a clean room. It was already 9:30pm, so I decided to stay. When showering the next morning, the lights in the bathroom started smoking and smelling burnt, so I quickly jumped out of the shower and left the hotel. I would not recommend staying at this hotel to anyone, especially since it cost $121 for the night!

Room Tip: My room looked at the roof between buildings, all you could see was trash and air conditioning units...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
mgarey, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you for staying with us at The McLure Hotel, however, under the circumstances, we are not pleased that you left our hotel with a low experience.

I am confident that we are doing our best to satisfy our guest, which is why we were cleaning our hotel corridors, maybe not at the most convenient time, but our efforts were directed to improving the experience of the guest. We do apologize for any inconvenience. Additionally, we do strive for high standards of cleanliness and I am confident that if you had mentioned a problem, our team would had moved you to a more comfortable room.

I would like to address your claim of a bullet hole. In the elevator there is not a bullet hole, but it is a dent in our elevator wall. Your claim is inaccurate and this claim creates a very negative view of our hotel, which is inaccurate and false. Please revise your review for this detail, and give details that are based on fact.

Again, We appreciate you as our guest and we want you to enjoy your stay. Hopefully, in the future you will give us another chance.

Thank you for your review and please consider editing your review.
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Nice clean hotel in historic downtown Wheeling. Upon arrival I was greeted by a very nice professionally dressed young man who checked me in very quickly and explained several of the hotels amenities and points of interest within walking distance. The lobby itself was very well lit and clean and had a sort of historic charm, the front desk seemed very clean and uncluttered (I've worked in hotels for years). I received my parking pass and proceeded to the parking garage, which I found to be very well lit and had several cameras. This parking garage was a great relief especially being in the downtown area which has very limited parking. I went to the door to access the stairwell and was delighted to see that I needed my guest room key to access it, it gave me a great sense of security. On my way to my room I noticed that the stairwells and hallways were particularly clean, I was more impressed by the stairwells as I know how difficult it is to keep those up. Upon entering my room I was greeted by a very clean looking and smelling room that had a refrigerator and microwave and plenty of lighting. The beds had lovely updated comforters with down blankets and very comfortable pillows. The carpet was newer and the bathrooms were very large and spacious, for someone who travels as much as I do I was really impressed. The only downfall to the room was the fact that they have not yet converted to flat screens and the furniture in the room is a little dated, please don't get the wrong opinion, the hotel is historic and the furniture matches the decor, it's very clean and well kept, just not my taste. Please update the televisions and these rooms will be first class!

I left my room to explore more of the hotel since I had the whole evening free. I was happy to see that the hotel had several elevators and that the ice and vending areas were located conveniently close to the rooms. I entered the lobby and discovered the guest laundry area was located just down the hall from the desk, it was a very large room with plenty of machines and even a large area to fold your clothes, very convenient for someone who lives in hotels. Near the front desk I found an area filled with pictures, postcards and other memorabilia of the hotels historic past. Eleven presidents and several famous people have stayed here including generals and the original founders of West Virginia.

The hotel has a lounge in the lobby called Harrigan's, it has a very classy look but is updated with flat screen TV's, a large bar, pool table and ton's of seating. Through my stay they had karaoke and a dj which was nice since most of the businesses close early downtown and it gave me something to do on a few of my free nights. I met the owner of the bar and he informed me he will be opening the restaurant of the hotel in a few weeks, he owns a place a few blocks from the hotel called Hat Tricks that has an awesome Philly cheese steak, I recommend you try it. The bartenders are very friendly and quick.

I spent most of my time at the hotel in the evening, and became acquainted with several of the evening staff. Very friendly people, especially Juan & Brian who are there most nights. The hotel has a nice business center with plenty of computers, and table space if you have projects to complete. They do have a small fitness center on site with a few pieces of equipment. All and all this is a great property especially for the price and convenient location! I would definitely recommend the McLure to anyone traveling through Wheeling and this is coming from a guy that was in the area to help at a competitor hotel. I usually don't write reviews because I find them to mostly be unfair and usually not true, just something written out of haste and sometimes just because they had an overall bad experience during their trip and have no one to take it out on but the hotel.

I've now stayed at this property twice, once back in the beginning of June and again in July. I've seen a huge improvement during this stay. I don't know what you're doing but keep doing it, because whatever it is it's working. I do hope this helps anyone considering your hotel.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for staying with us at the McLure Hotel and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I believe that your outlook on our property is great, because we are a historic hotel and we are unique. I am especially excited to see a review that brought the character of our hotel to life.
Currently, we are in the process of transitioning our televisions out for newer flat screen televisions. So, I hope you will visit us again to enjoy the the McLure, Wheeling, and the new televisions.

Thank you again for your review.
Usa, Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

After attempting to get a room anywhere in wheeling for under $100 we finally found The McClure for $79 a night. (there was a big ball event here which sucked up all the hotels in the area) The hotel must have been magnificent in its day, and is still beautiful with a vintage sort of charm.
The room is clean. The staff is friendly, the air is COLD! It's hot as heck here! I am not a bit afraid to walk in the parking garage. And this will be my place to stay on my many visits back to WV in the coming months. There is also a FANTASTIC restaurant to eat at close by called "Uncle Pete's." (see my review of Uncle Pete's.)

• Stayed July 2012
, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you for the complements. We do try our best and we appreciate everything you said about our hotel. Hope to see you again!
Westerville, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

It was $88. Not worth it. The only upside is the Convenient to walk to the casino. Took the bedspread off the bed as it had a white stain. Freakin nasty! Other than that at least the rest of the room appeared to be fairly clean. Shower was good. A little beat up but it's an old hotel. I knew what to expect so I wasn't shocked. If you can't find a holiday inn express or the like and you want to stay close to the casino it will do.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at The McLure Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Thank you for staying with us at the McLure. We do take pride in our property, however we did not meet your expectations at this time. I'm 100 percent sure if you were to bring your complaint to our front office we would have taken care of the problem promptly.

We do appreciate the positive qualities you mentioned in your review, and we hope next time you come back to Wheeling we can have the chance to show our hospitality.

Been to The McLure Hotel? Share your experiences!