“What a Surprise!!” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 96 Restaurants in Wheeling
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Dessert
Description: Menu selections such as Nobody puts Baby in a Corner. Crepes of Wrath, and Wilbur goes to Venice are typical and will fuel your curiosity as well as tickle your appetite. Specializing in both savory & sweet crepes, Later offers specialty sandwiches, homemade soups and salads at affordable prices. A welcome surprise at this upscale cafe/bistro. WV Div. of Tourism award 2009 for unique eateries. Beer & Wine.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“What a Surprise!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Who knew this cool restaurant was tucked away in Wheeling!! I was so pleasantly surprised. I had the best crepe. Two , if you include my yummy dessert crepe. I wish I had a place like this to go to near my home. But, it was great finding it off of my trusty Trip Advisor app. while traveling.

Food was great. Coffee amazing. I recommend it 100%. Yes, the place is small and laid back, so just relax and enjoy yourself. Crepes take time. The ingredients are fresh and tasty so you won't be disappointed.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Wheeling, West Virginia
“Beautiful food, beautiful atmosphere,great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Later Alligator is exceptional. Go in the morning for terrific french press, cappachino - coffee and locally made pasteries. At 11, full menu. The whole experience is big city cafe, with small town service and personality. The crepes are wonderful, savory: italian sausage/red pepper/riccotta, to sweet: nutella, cherries and cream. Hummus, club sandwich, Jones soda. Good wine, and craft beer menu. Service is great, owner is on site most of the time. Decor is beautiful vintage Wheeling Steel collection with modern twist in historical building. Lovely outdoor dining court.
Appropriate for lunch/dinner date or civilized family outing.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wheeling, West Virginia
“Great Place to Eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I have been there several times and my daughter Paula was in front out of town and heard about the good reviews and wanted to go there for lunch. She fell in love with it and will go back also and bring her boyfriend with her.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Grayslake, Illinois, USA
“Second Time - Food Great, Service POOR”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Bit of a let down the second time around. We went out of our way to re-visit Later Alligator more than 2 years after our maiden voyage.... Perhaps it was me building this place into a shrine in my mind, or perhaps their service levels have slid, but either way I was dissapointed.

While the food was still decent (they even made the kids sandwiches in little fish shapes), the service was ABISMAL, I mean really bad. I will give credit to our server, who was pregnant and working, but as a patron, please don't make me wait 20 minutes for a drink refill. We ordered our lunch, it was not busy, there is no reason our food should have taken more than 30 minutes to prepare and yet it did.

Please Alligator, if you're reading, improve your service levels - your food quality and imagination is there, but your wait staff clearly isn't.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Wheeling, West Virginia, United States
“Crepes are the BEST!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Always the best! Wish they would offer lemon crepes!

Visited June 2012