“Our first visit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wheeling
Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Wheeling
Cleveland, Ohio
“Our first visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I must say, the family and I really enjoyed ourselves. This was our first trip here, but overall we really enjoyed it. I must say we were in the Wilson's lodge, and the room we were put in had a broken door. It would not close, so as soon as we got in the room, I had to call up front to tell them the door was broke. I was told that they would send maintenance. Seriously! do you really think after all the money I had just given them I was going to wait for maintenance to fix the door. I went up front, and was put in another room. overall I was very disappointed with the what they call the renovated Wilson's lodge. The rooms are very dated. I feel as though I was in a 69 dollar room at a budget inn. It was very pricy for an old room. There are hotels down the hill and around the corner from the resort. that is where we are going to stay the next time we visit the resort.

Room Tip: Avoid the Wilson's Lodge if at all possible
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have stayed at both properties recently, and each offer pros and cons.

Value: Hands down Oglebay offers better value than Nemacolin. A premium room at Wilson Lodge was $265 each night (based on a two-night stay on the Family Escape Package) and included free admission for a family of four to the Good Zoo, Glass Museum, Mansion Museum, Wheeling Park Pool, train ride, mini golf, paddle boats, etc.; a breakfast buffet each morning; complimentary high tea each day and children's activities; a $30 gift card; a free pizza and softdrinks. A room at the lodge at Nemacolin is $390+ per night and includes NOTHING. The premium rooms at Oglebay are also nicer and more spacious than the lodge rooms at Nemacolin, although not as swanky as Nemacolin's Chateau rooms, which are typically $500+.

Scenary: Both offer beautiful surroundings, with Oglebay having more coloful flowers and sidewalks, and Nemacolin having more interesting sculptures and artwork.

Activities: Oglebay is better suited for younger children. Nemacolin is better suited for tweens and teens because of its Adventure Center.

Pool: Outdoor pools are very difficult to compare. Oglebay's is huge and historical, but unheated. There's a snack bar onsite. The sister park (Wheeling Park) is a public pool but offers a waterslide that kids enjoy. Nemacolin's pool is small for the resort's size, but the water is warm, and the pool offers a swim up bar and restaurant service. Indoor kids' pools at both establishments are unimpressive and small.

Service: Equally good at both places, with the occasional spottiness. The difference is you feel more impatient about spotty service at Nemacolin because you are paying Ritz Carlton prices.

Food: Equally good for casual dining although it was strange that Oglebay did not list chicken fingers and fries on its kids' menu, yet it was available. Fortunately we asked if they had it, and they did. The breakfast buffet was also good, but understaffed. Very reasonable pricing for wine and cocktails. However, if you're a foodie, then you would probably prefer Nemacolin's offerings.

Overall: We enjoyed our stays and activities at both places. Both are comparable in many ways. However, when you add up everything (hotel, food, activities ...), you will pay one-third the cost of Nemacolin for a Oglebay experience.

Room Tip: Spring for the premium rooms. Granite countertops, separate bath and shower, flat screen tv, wet ba...
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Wonderful, relaxing, beautiful time at Oglebay. Surroundings are gorgeous with many activities: walking trails, fabulous pool, putt putt course, "Good Zoo" with animals, and historic mansion tour (didn't golf or fish). Took advantage of Lodge restaurants with expanded and interesting menus. Accommodations were dated yet comfortable in this rustic setting. Porch view lovely. Staff hard working and friendly. Would definitely return with family!

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms have great porch view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
NE Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My husband, toddler son, and I stayed at the Wilson Lodge with my inlaws for a long weekend. We stayed in a traditional room and my inlaws stayed on the renovated (premium) side so we were able to see both types of rooms. There was a huge difference in quality and cost of the rooms. We probably paid at least $100 less, but had a significantly less luxurious room. Our room had broken rings on the shower curtain, a cracked window, windows that did not open, and a tiny bathroom. The renovated side is slick - bathroom was about 1/2 size of our room with a garden tub and a lovely stand-up shower. Rooms had balconies and wet bars.

The traditional room was just as comfortable (although the pillows were lumpy), had a beautiful view, and had access to all the same amenities. We paid the extra couple of dollars for the bed and breakfast package, which gave us a breakfast buffet every morning - definitely worth the dollars as we would not have been able to easily get breakfast that was healthy every morning (town is about 10-minutes away and there is not a lot in terms of fast and healthy).

I would definitely recommend the Wilson Lodge. It is pricier than staying at one of the local hotels, but you get access to the beautiful grounds, pools, and other outdoor experiences.

Clarksville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Oglebay is so, so beautiful, but very over priced. It always has been. The Lodge is horribly expensive, considering what you don't get in your room. When I visit now, I stay at the Springfield Suites. The difference in the rooms is incredible. Fridge, microwave, sitting room, modern bathrooms... The view isn't quite as beautiful, of course. It's just a very quick drive up the hill. Park employees could be a little more inviting, in my opinion. We spent a couple days at the zoo. We loved that. It was fun and clean. Will I visit again? Probably.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Downingtown, PA USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed there over the weekend as a stop over taking our daughter to camp. The room was ok, rather dated in decor and smelled musty. Would have been nice to have a mini fridge in there to bring in snacks from the car trip. The Spa was so-so, paid a hideous amount of money for mediocre services. My daughter didn't even get what we had made an appointment for. Ate at the tavern type place there, the food was pretty good, but the service was below average. I think we had three different people cover our table during the meal. Breakfast in the morning was a discombobulated buffet, cooks who didn't know what they were doing, overcooked eggs, greasy bacon... Apparently there was some sort of "Activity Pass" that we were not made aware of, so when we wanted to do the things on the grounds like the paddle boats and miniature golf we had to pay separate for it. It was a nice place to stay, but I don't expect we'll be returning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Oglebay, General Manager at Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
We appreciate and value your comments concerning your recent visit to our spa and apologize that your services were not as intended. As is typical for most spas our minimum age for massages and body treatments is eighteen, but we do offer other spa services to fit the needs of teens and younger. We were also sorry to hear that you were less than satisfied with your dining experiences and have discussed your comments with our staff. We hope you will consider another stay with us in our newest guest wing with premium rooms and try one of our great overnight packages that include many of our activities.
Fairfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I've been coming here since the early 1990's, since I often make driving trips between the East Coast and Chicago. Then I brought my family and they were sold. We love the beautiful setting, the friendly service, and the food, especially that breakfast buffet. On our most recent visit, my husband, 11-year-old son, and I, all of whom have such high standards in food that the rest of our family teases us, were in agreement that the steak we had for dinner was the best we've ever had. (This was the filet---my husband thinks maybe it was slightly smoked.) While it is true that in places Oglebay is showing signs of age, this is by no means a deal-breaker for us. The degree to which we've been able to relax here keeps us coming back. I definitely do prefer the newer wing, where the spa is, but have also stayed in the older wing and enjoyed that too.

Room Tip: Ask to be placed in the newer wing, where the spa is. We were on the ground floor on a Saturday nigh...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!