“Aquatic center details” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Wheeling
Pataskala, Ohio
“Aquatic center details”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Hotel was perfect. Fast, friendly check in. Free parking just steps from the door. Free shuttle to local attractions (within 5 miles) including Oglebay and the casino.

Special pizza and pop deal on Sunday night and hotel-sponsored barbeque (both included in hotel price) on Monday night makes this a great pick for families on a budget. Coupled with fresh warm cookies, iced tea and lemonade at check in, fresh fruit, and a free high-quality coffee bar available all day and a free breakfast including waffles, scrambled eggs, breakfast meat, hard-boiled eggs, oatmeal with all the fixings, fresh seasonal fruit, regular and Greek yogurt, cereals, breads and pastries--even packets of instant grits were available. I got the feeling that if I had asked for it the Hampton staff would have done their best to find my breakfast favorite. For those who are hard-core breakfast fans Bob Evans is a football field walk through the paved parking lot away. All of this was available in a super clean and friendly lobby and breakfast area that sported a beautiful large aquarium and a flat screen TV.

When getting ready to book this hotel could not find details on aquatic center so here goes:
Open 6am to 10pm. Uber-clean pool (no slime around the edges) bigger than it looks in photos. Noticed the handicapped-accessible lowering chair available in the corner but did not ask staff to show it in use. Easy single step down to 1 foot area with a curtain of water dropping from the ceiling (heavenly on tight shoulders.) That area also has four powerful "fountains" that bubble up to just above the water's surface. They felt fabulous on a tight low back and sore feet. Four small spray jets intermittently send watergun size streams of water across this shallow area. Another step down (with a secure handrail like the first) puts you into about 2.5 feet of water. The pool gradually slopes down to approximately 5 feet deep. At the far end is a jet that can be screwed in tighter or looser to allow a variable strength current to flow from the deep end to the shallow end. A stronger current challenges you to a great cardio workout. The gentler current coupled with the jets on the sides allows you to float in a lazy-river-like style while enjoying the sunlight through the skylights, The water is a comfortable mid-temp, cool enough for a hot day and yet there is a warming area at about 9 o'clock from the water curtain. One day the glass doors to the brick patio were open and the breeze was nice but not needed. There was none of that chlorine odor associated with indoor pools (I believe this pool may be just slightly saltwater.)

Showering before entering was a dream with a rainfall shower surrounded by several other body sprays in an alcove by the warm, sparkling clean indoor Jacuzzi fitted with variably powerful jets. There are two steam rooms (one male, one female), each with a rainfall shower and sporting clean benches and menthol aromatherapy. Also inside are lounge chairs and chairs with small end tables, clean and colorful noodles, lockers, fresh towels, and a family restroom that smartly has a toilet area and a separate sink area both behind the same door. This helps harried moms secure little ones but keeps you from jamming three or more people into a stall.

Outdoors on a nice patio area is a "tree" with four metal buckets that fill with water and drop it on the impeccably clean brick patio area that has several dancing fountains that activate when the "push here for fun" button on the wall is pressed. the outdoor area is rounded out by a second nice Jacuzzi and more loungers. Be sure to take your room key if you go outside as you might need it to get back in if the glass doors are closed.

The other beautiful outdoor area was the teak garden with an active fire pit. A great place to lounge, daydream, or meet new friends. As Wheeling seems to have a sizeable smoking population, a separate smoker's gazebo several yards from the garden and entry way was also available and nicely appointed.

The workout facility open had very new looking equipment: three treadmills, three ellipticals, two bikes, free weights and a tower system with exercise stations, a Swiss ball, mirrored (spotless) walls and multiple flat-screened TVs.

Was able to get the quiet AC cold enough I needed the blankets in July! There were even two robes in the closet and doubles of higher-end bath products in the bathroom. Curved shower rod for the combo tub and massaging shower head. No gross, moldy bathmats stuck to the bottom of the tub. Fridge and microwave in the room as well as a larger leather office chair (my sizeable rump really appreciated) and even indirect "mood lighting" or nightlight depending on the crowd you travel with.

My new place to runaway for some peace and quiet! Just book it.

Room Tip: Hearing impaired rooms are off the lobby (a noisy area). Aquatic center and gym are on second floor...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Jack P, Manager at Hampton Inn Wheeling, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Wow! I don't know where to begin writing a response for this magnificent review! Thank you so much! Such detail! Maybe, I should just ask for an address so that we can mail you a check. After all, you have written the most detailed description of our Aquatic Center ever. I could just use it verbatim in our advertising! haha!
Seriously though, I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. It seems that our Aquatic Center really captured your imagination. I'm so pleased that we were able to exceed your expectations. That is our hospitality mission in life - exceeding expectations!
Once again, thanks for the review! I am so glad you took the time to share your feelings with us. Please hurry back and stay with us again! Happy travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Valparaiso, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Great, friendly and clean hotel. The pool area is great for kids, especially our smaller kids. The whole experience was great and the complimentary breakfast is a really nice touch that adds to the value of staying at this hotel. I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel. Also, its proximity to Oglebay Park is excellent.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Jack P, Manager at Hampton Inn Wheeling, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thanks for that fantastic review! I really appreciate you taking the time to share your family's experience with us. Sounds like everyone (especially the kids) had a great time! I'm so glad we were able to exceed your expectations.
Thanks also for your comments regarding our Aquatic Center. As you noted, there is a lot in there for the kids, like our splash deck and tipping bucket tree. I hope you and your wife were able to enjoy some of the more grown up features like our hot tubs and steam rooms as well. It is a perfect space for the whole family. I'm so pleased you all enjoyed it!
Once again, thanks for the review. Hope you are able to visit us again soon. Happy travels!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

This is probably the nicest Hampton Inn we've stayed at. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The teak garden area very nicely landscaped including a gas firepit. The pool and water features were very nice and the exercise room very clean with excellent equipment. We were very pleased overall and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Jack P, Manager at Hampton Inn Wheeling, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thanks so much for that very nice review! I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. Feedback from guests like yourself is essential to our continued success. I'm so glad that we were able to exceed your expectations.
Thanks also for your great comments about our Teak Garden area. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the firepit. It is a very relaxing place to sit in the evening. We also have a professional quality gas grill that guests can use for cook outs. If you would like to use it next time you stay with us, just mention it to one of our team members.
Once again, thanks for the review. I hope you will visit us again soon. Happy travels!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We have a family of 5 so finding a hotel room can sometimes be challenging. So when we saw how high of a rating the hotel had we decided to spend a little extra on our last night of vacation. We asked for a 2 queen suite with a pull out couch bed. They must've misheard us and booked a 1 king bed with 1 pull out couch bed. So we went down to the lobby to ask if we could get the room we wanted. She said there is no 2 queen room suites with a pull out couch bed. We spent an extra $80 on a room that is too small. We asked if they had roll out bed and they didn't have one. Now don't get me wrong, the room is clean, and nice but we are just disappointed with the management, they never offered an apology for the mishap. Mistakes happen but an offer to fix the problem or offer a credit or a refund would be nice. The hotel is nice and new but management is unprofessional.

Stayed August 2014
Jack P, Manager at Hampton Inn Wheeling, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Hi, I'm bad manager Jack. I'm so sorry that you had a unpleasant experience at our hotel. Please allow me to apologize on behalf of the entire staff, especially our unprofessional Managers. It is quite clear that we failed to exceed your expectations on this occasion.
I'm very sorry that we do not offer rooms with 2 queen beds plus a sofa sleeper. The square footage available in our rooms does not allow for this. We do have 2 Garden King Suites which are much larger, and I invite you to give one of them a try next time.
Once again, I'm very sorry for your unsatisfactory experience. I wish I had been made aware of the problem before now. Please allow me to try to make this right. If you will contact me either at: Jack.Poling2@hilton.com or call me at 304-233-0440 I will be happy to refund your money.
Thanks for your feedback. I'm sure that I, along with the other bad managers will strive to improve. Hopefully you will give us the opportunity to serve you again. Happy travels!
Wexford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Stayed at the Hampton Inn, Wheeling over the 4th of July weekend. Dave, the manager was extremely helpful and the staff was fantastic. We had an early baseball game and arrived back at the hotel after breakfast had been put away. Having young children in tow, the staff was gracious enough to re-open the kitchen and let us take some food to our rooms; who does this! We will definitely be back to stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Jack P, Manager at Hampton Inn Wheeling, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thanks for that great review! I'm so glad that we were able to exceed your expectations. I really appreciate you taking time out of your busy day to share your experience with us.
Thanks also for mentioning Dave by name, because you did so he will receive special recognition and be rewarded at our next team meeting. I'm so pleased that we were able to re open the kitchen for your family. We are not real big on a hard and fast policy for things here. The needs of the guest always trump policy, and if possible we will make exceptions to rules to satisfy guest requests. It's all about the spirit of hospitality! We believe in that very strongly.
Once again, thanks for the review. I hope you and your team will stay with us again sometime soon. Happy travels!
akron, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I have been staying at this hotel for a few years every week. I cannot say enough positive about the stay. I am amazed at how they continue to improve. Their hospitality is wonderful. It is truly a home away from home.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Jack P, Manager at Hampton Inn Wheeling, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thanks for that very nice review! It has been great being able to serve you, and maybe getting to know you a little, these past couple of years. I'm so glad that you feel at home when you stay with us.
Thanks also, for noting that you have seen us improve over that span of time. We are certainly striving at all times to get better. We do truly want to exceed expectations! I'm so pleased that we continue to exceed yours!
Once again, thanks for being one of our wonderful, regular guests. I'm sure we will see you very soon. We will save a newspaper for you!
Hamburg, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

This property boasts of being the "#1 Hampton Inn in the World!" With a claim like that you better be good... and they are! Our 3 night stay for the Jamboree In the Hills found us at a resort property with amenities that you just don't expect at a hotel such as this. In talking with several of the hotel staff, many have been working there for 20 years or longer and they say that they are "proud of the hotel and honored to be working there!". Claims like these are unbelievable but true!

While the hotel is over 20 years old, everything is modern and updated. The pool area was my favorite with a nice large indoor salt pool with water that flows from the ceiling, indoor and outdoor hot tubs, and two eucalyptus sauna baths which you rarely see except for health clubs. A nice outdoor splash park for the kids is also part of the pool deck. One recommendation, they should keep the pool open later until midnight, as 10pm is just a bit too early, especially since it is not adjacent to any guestrooms.

Breakfast is served from 6:00am - 10:00am and the selection is vast which does change from day to day. The servings are kept filled and are monitored consistently. Most days they stayed open well past 10:00am for late arrivals.

The rooms are spacious and clean and all bed linens are changed daily.

The free shuttle service drove us to the casino on two occassions and picked us up promptly when called.

I doubted that a Hampton Inn could be this good, but when in Wheeling, give it a try, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Jack P, Manager at Hampton Inn Wheeling, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Wow! Thanks for that great review! It is so nice to get such high praise from a Tripadvisor "Senior Contributor" like yourself. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us.
Thanks also for mentioning our team, and the fact that we have many long term team members. I really think that that is a key to our success. There is no substitute for people that take pride in their work! We have many 10, 15 and 20 year team members here, because they enjoy what they do. Thanks for mentioning them. I will share your remarks with the team at our next gathering!
Once again, thanks for the review. I hope you will visit us again soon, and when you do, please just mention that you would like the pool kept open past 10. We will be happy to do that for you! Happy travels!

Been to Hampton Inn Wheeling? Share your experiences!