“Thank GOD for justification” 3 of 5 stars

Knights Inn Wheeling
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   949 Main Street, Wheeling, WV 26003   |
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Wheeling
Wheeling, West Virginia
“Thank GOD for justification”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

....no seriously! The weekly rates are outrageous & the highest we've pd anywhere, but when you open the door & see (old) downtown to the left with the feel of "yesteryears" & Ohio River to the right with a plethora of history & beauty that overtakes you like a heatwave, I can justify any complaint!!! If you like to explore many nearby adventures, the advantage of 3 states w/in a very short distance & the most unpredictable weather you can imagine than this is a place to see. Even if you only came to gaze in awe at the 1st & now only operatable steel suspension bridge, this area is sure to be easy on your eyes.

Room Tip: south east side-3rd floor or higher
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

The place is a dump. There isn't a lot more to say. The building looks like it should be condemned. The rooms are small, dark, and musty. The curtains did not even cover the window. My daughter stayed up most of the night because there were people in the parking lot scoping out the cars. The biggest crime is the rate they charge for this dump. Save your money ... sleep in your car if you have to. You'll probably get a better nights rest.

Room Tip: For a lot less money you can stay at the Wheeling Island Casino !
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Cheapest hotel I found in wheeling and it shows. Rooms are dated and have not been updated in a while, but it is ok for the price. It has a bad reputation with the upper class, but blue collar people like me think its just fine. I have definitely staid in worse places.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night the bed was ok to say the least. The elevator going up to the second floor was tiny looked like it needed repairs. The outside of the building looked as if no one has touched it in many years, bricks were falling off, garbage was everywhere and just not a pleasant sight. Only plus was that it was relatively cheap to stay.

• Stayed August 2013
Sharon, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

This place is absolutely horrible!! It looks like a construction site! Looks like it should be condemned! Our key wouldn't work, the carpet was stained and the room smelled. The deal breaker was when my husband went to use the restroom and there was a towel in the toilet!!! We got our stuff (that we wouldn't even put on the floor) and walked right back down and got refunded. It didn't even seem to bother them, almost like its a daily occurrence for them!

• Stayed August 2013
Fredericksburg, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I will tell you right up front, you'd do yourself a favor by sleeping in your car!! Seriously...this location is that bad!!!
My husband and I were traveling from WI to VA. We looked for probably over 2 hours along our route (towards evening time) with no success at finding lodging. Everything was booked. We finally called this establishment and they had an opening. Just the fact they had an opening when 20-30 other hotels had not should have been our first indication something might not be right.
When we drove up it looked awful, but we convinced ourselves that maybe the room would be adequate. The closer we got, the worse it looked. The outside was in such disarray that I'm actually surprised this building has not been condemned ! We proceeded into the lobby. It was extremely hot inside, so much so that one of the men behind the desk was sweating profusely. I asked if the AC was not working and his response was "no, it's working but we turned it off because the front door is open". REALLY????? It's the end of July, are you kidding me???
We then asked to see a room. He took us over to the dilapidated elevator. I swear the carpet had not been changed in 30 years and it was rusty. It barely fit 3 people. Good thing that we did not have any luggage at this point. The hallway in which we got out was worse than the elevator...terrible stains on the carpet, just generally disgusting! From there we walked outside to get to our room on the 2nd floor. I was a bit nervous that the walkway would fall off the building as it was in such disrepair.
He opened the door and the room seem to go perfectly with the rest of the motels accommodations. It was small, smelly, dirty carpet, spots on sheets, scary bath tub, old and falling apart lamps & shades,....there was nothing about this room that was even close to "ok".
We went back downstairs but this time using the stairs instead of the elevator...big mistake! The staircase was even worse than the elevator...hmmm...is that even possible???
We told them we would take the room simply because at this point, just due to exhaustion, it would have been dangerous to drive. We paid ($100.79!) and proceeded w/our belongings to head back upstairs to our room. Getting up to the room our key did NOT work! Believe it or not...this happened 3 TIMES !
The pictures I will attach will tell you all you need to know.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Newburgh, Indiana, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

THERE'S HOPE for the Wheeling Inn.

I'm staying at the Wheeling Inn for a week. After reading the reviews, I was skeptical, but let's just say that its not as bad as I imaged it to be.

The Wheeling Inn is currently in the process of being renovated. It is to become a Knights Inn.

From what I can tell, the new owner is doing everything possible to make this place more welcoming, and has done a great job so far. I'll describe the developments that I noticed later, but first let me give you an idea of what the hotel is like.

There are several floors, with access via stairs and elevator. Rooms are accessed via an outdoor balcony that spans the perimeter of each floor, similar to a college apartment.

The rooms are small - about 12'x18' with a bathroom attached (12' x 5')

The rooms have a heady metal door with SIM card access and a glass window of about (6'x7'). A sliding curtain covers the window.

Rooms are equipped with:
1. A/C and Heater unit. Small, with adjustable settings. (A/C works great)
2. 3 lamps
3. a bed (Beds vary. (1) King or (2) queens are what I've seen so far.)
4. a nightstand
5. a small table and (2) chairs.
6. a wardrobe

Bath is equipped with:
1. Shower
2. Toilet
3. Sink

When I arrived yesterday, I was placed in a smoking room, likely because I had my dog with me. After smelling the room, I quickly returned to the desk, and they happily moved me to my choice of two other rooms. Awesome service on their part.

The room I am in seems like it's been cleaned. The carpet is worn, but I don't notice stains or any odd smells. The furniture is dated, but all still functional. Everything works.

The TV seems new (Samsung LCD, 30"?)

I inspected my bedding, and found that the mattress is used, but in good overall condition. The sheets are clean, minus a couple small stains on underside of the cover (it's been washed).

The bed and bedding is surprisingly comfortable. I never sleep well on the first night out, but I slept very well last night.

I've looked for bugs, but thankfully haven't found any.

Noise is my largest concern right now. There is a lot of construction going on in the building, and throughout the day (10 - 4). In the evening, I can hear my neighbor's TV, cars, and such, but it settled by 11pm and was quiet enough for me so sleep last night.

The room service does not replace bedding or towels unless asked. They straighten up the room when you're out (at about 11-12) and they seem to have dog a good job. I spoke with the one that cleaned my room, and she was nice to talk to. She showed a genuine interest in getting to know my dog, so as not to spook it when she returns tomorrow.

As far as the renovations, the elevator (which worked fine yesterday) was shut down today and is being either refurbished or replaced. Don't expect it to be back up for a few weeks.

The lobby was good when I came in yesterday, and by this morning, it looked pretty good! The hardwood floor shines, and the tile floor is clean.

As I sit here typing, I've seen workers go by countless times with mattresses and bed supports that they are replacing. Old ones come out, and others (used, but in good condition) come in.

The stairs on the west end of the building (leading to the riverfront walkway) are being renovated. They're patching the concrete steps today.

It really is shaping up. I'm excited to
see what it looks like when I return in November.

Room Tip: North rooms have abundant sunlight. South rooms look at another building.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Knights Inn Wheeling? Share your experiences!